Would you still be a LEO if..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you still be a LEO if..

You knew you would be killed in the line of duty at some point in your career?

Obviously, there is no way to know. But is this a defining question behind those who knew they were meant for this?

Thanks

Uh...no....and I expect this thread to get awesome quickly.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Everyone has to leave this earth at sometime, it ain't gonna change my feelings. I'd rather go out working than smothered by a fat chick.

Comment

I wouldn't go into any profession if I knew it would result in my death. No chance.
        Retired

Comment

I don't believe any sane person would willingly enter a profession fully well knowing it will cause their death. The survival instinct is just too strong.

That is not saying that one will not enter a SITUATION that has a high probability of being fatal.

Like mookster stated --------we are all going to end up on a slab at some point............

Comment

Yeah, if I knew 100% that I would be killed in the line of duty at some point then I would not still be a LEO. This is totally different then a spontaneous situation where you choose to sacrifice yourself to save someone else or something. In this case, you're effectively planning your own demise in advance. I couldn't in good faith put my family through that.

Comment

I had someone attempt to kill me last year and I was able to stop the threat. It was a shocking experience all around and I seriously gave serious thought to back up career plans that I had. I came to the determination that it's a real possibility I could die in this line of work but I am given the tools, training and ability to do everything I can to prevent that from happening. I am in this career for the long haul.

Again, everyone has to die at some point and your family will have to be prepared for it just the same if you are a line of duty death or are bitten by a rabid squirrel. That's just my $0.02 on the matter.

Comment

Thanks for sharing mookster. Do you mind sharing what happened?

Do some not realize how real the danger is until something happens?

How often is someone seriously injured in your department?

Comment

I Love the part about the fat chick lmao
                  Originally posted by mookster View Post
                  Everyone has to leave this earth at sometime, it ain't gonna change my feelings. I'd rather go out working than smothered by a fat chick.
                  So who took my doggy treats????

Comment

Originally posted by retired View Post
                    I wouldn't go into any profession if I knew it would result in my death. No chance.
                    Well I am glad your not an LEO if you are then Stop and turn your equip. in please.

Comment

He's a retired cop Dummy.

M-11
                      “All men dream...... But not equally..
                      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by Diverdummy View Post
                        Well I am glad your not an LEO if you are then Stop and turn your equip. in please.
                        Would you go to work if you knew there was a 100% certainty that you would die if you did?

I wouldn't.

There's a difference between "definitely going to die" and "If I'm good and/or lucky enough I'll make it."
                        summer - winter - work

Comment

Look I work in a Fed Prison now, I am / was 11C Infantryman, and even work overseas with Dyncorp. Everyday while at Dyncorp Int in the middle east our team leader would tell us we are going to die today, sometimes co-workers would. Did it scare me, hell yes but that was the life / money I chose and I still did the job until the contract ended. Why did I leave, pockets were full and wifey said it was time to come home...So yes I would and I did to support my family besides they get paid more if I died on the job than off .

Comment

Originally posted by Diverdummy View Post
                            Look I work in a Fed Prison now, I am / was 11C Infantryman, and even work overseas with Dyncorp. Everyday while at Dyncorp Int in the middle east our team leader would tell us we are going to die today, sometimes co-workers would. Did it scare me, hell yes but that was the life / money I chose and I still did the job until the contract ended. Why did I leave, pockets were full and wifey said it was time to come home...So yes I would and I did to support my family besides they get paid more if I died on the job than off .
                            No, you didn't. You worked in a job where there was a probability that you might die. If it was 100% certain that you were going to die overseas, then you wouldn't be alive right now...hence 100% certainty. Only other explanation is that you're a zombie, which I suppose is a possibility based on some movies and TV shows I've watched.
                            Last edited by mayburymh; 04-06-2012, 01:02 AM.

Comment

No one gets to choose the time of their own death. The only thing we can choose is to face it standing up.

This is the greatest job in the world, and nothing will make me stop doing it as long as i am physically able to.

Kevin

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6084 users online. 196 members and 5888 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X