300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Courtesy

I'm an aspiring police officer, and I was questioned from friends if I were to pull over another police officer during a normal traffic stop for a speeding violation, if I would let him/her go. I told them I would. They didn't agree with me and mentioned that police officers are not above the law.

I agree that police officers are not above the law, but I also agree that there should be some type of professional courtesy. I searched around the internet, and those who weren't LEO's pretty much bashed police officers for treating each other as if they are above everybody else. They also didn't agree that officers speed without lights and sirens. I actually got a bit upset reading all of it.

I would like to hear from LEO's what their perspective is on this and how many would let other police officers go during a traffic stop.

My reasoning for letting another officer go is because the job is relentlessly stressful, throughout my ride-alongs that I've had I have noticed that police officers tend to have a mighty heavy foot so I can see this happening off-duty as well, and something minor as speeding I see as a good courtesy to each other. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Thanks
    bag.0032

I'm really glad that someone finally started a post about professional courtesy. If there is one thing this forum has been missing besides a thread about "how many arrests can I have and still get hired" it's a thread about PC.

Comment

I don't think this subject has been discussed here yet, I'm so glad you brought it up... Now what was I saying.
      Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been brought up before. I figured this has been a topic mentioned several times before. Glad it's a good one haha.

Comment

The search function is your friend..............it's been discussed several times.

Actually more than twenty............here is one:

Has 903 posts and 91K views

http://forums.officer.com/showthread...ional+courtesy
          Last edited by deputy x 2; 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM.
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Appreciate it.

Comment

Very simple. I decide who I write and what I write for. As long as it's not a "shall" write/arrest, I do as I please.

Comment

Sometimes you have to find the answer yourself, and keep it to yourself. Like the true meaning of "is".

Comment

To answer your question, No I will not write another cop.

Comment

Bag, Perhaps You Need New Friends

Bag,

In most departments an officer has absolute discretion regarding whether to cite. Traffic enforcement was not a real priority to me and I probably gave 20 warnings for every one citation issued.

If you are able to exercise discretion with the general public, why would you discriminate and deny the benefits of that same discretion to a particular class of individuals simply because of their occupation?

Applying your friends' logic, let's talk about their status in the grand scheme of traffic enforcement. If you were to stop a vehicle for a traffic violation and discover the driver was your friend, would it be OK to let them go without a citation because they were your friend? All things being equal, to avoid the appearance of undue favoritism, perhaps you should also adopt a policy that says all friends must get citations as well.

Stop and think for a second how loud the ACLU, the courts and the press would scream if a law enforcement agency were to adopt a policy stating that persons of a given class (employment, race, gender, religion, political belief, economic status, or anything else) were no longer eligible for warnings because of their membership in that class. Instead, the rule was that they must get a citation. Do you think such a policy would run afoul of the equal protection clause in the constitution?

Is it possible that you friends have become bigoted fascists and don't realize it?
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I won't give a cop a break I wouldn't give another citizen.

If you enforce the law, you need to obey the law.

But my discretionary point for traffic violations is pretty high. You have to screw up pretty bad behind the wheel of a car to get a cite for a moving violation from me.

I would have absolutely no tolerance for a cop being disorderly or acting out in public. But I have never in 31 years been in a situation where that happened. Not saying that it doesn't or that it can't but just that I have never encountered it and I hope I don't.

Comment

If you work at McDonald's you get free burgers, if you work at Best Buy you get really cool crap at a huge discount, if you're a LEO, you don't get tickets (at least not from me).
                        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Most likely you're gonna lose some friends if you get on the job. Keep that in mind.
                          "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                          I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Originally posted by bag.0032 View Post
                            I'm actually surprised it hasn't been brought up before. I figured this has been a topic mentioned several times before. Glad it's a good one haha.
                            Bag, the sarcasm is going right over your head. Try the "search" function.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                              If you work at McDonald's you get free burgers, if you work at Best Buy you get really cool crap at a huge discount, if you're a LEO, you don't get tickets (at least not from me).
                              I'm using that from now on.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8072 users online. 383 members and 7689 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X