300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is bad credit?

Here is the deal. I am applying everwhere and my credit score is above 720. However, when i was younger, i messed up with credit. Two charge offs and stuff of that nature. However, everything has been paid in full and current for four and a half years. I hope that this wont DQ me from federal level employment. With that being said. I would like to pick your brains and ask you exactly what in your opinion is a credit dq. I appreciate it.

STAY SAFE!
    "Believe half of what you see, and nothing of what you hear"

The issue is not credit alone, it depends on your whole financial history. Take a look at http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/bi.pdf and start reading at page 149. While this is the California standard, the principles behind it are fairly universal for most law enforcement agencies.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks L-1!

Comment

As always, my colleague has offered great advice. It would be virtually impossible to list the credit requirements for LE agencies across the country. Suffice it to say, credit is often an issue, and bad credit, or a continuing bad credit record are grounds for disqualification. Most agencies consider the manner in which an applicant handles credit as a pretty accurate mirror into his/her overall responsibility. Very generally, a past history of bad credit need not be a disqualifier, provided the applicant has corrected that with a sustained record of on time payment of bills, absence of charge offs, write offs, or referrals to collection agencies. Many agencies will require that you list your credit history......warts and all. They may require you to go back several years in this history. If this is required, simply be honest. Put it all on the table.Take full responsibility for any and all screw-ups. Explain, but DO NOT rationalize, minimize, or make excuses for actions in which you screwed up. What will help you immeasurably, is the manner in which you are, and have been discharging your debts. Consider the current economy in light of any problems you may have had with debt. Did you go into debt purchasing necessities, or did you blow it on toys.....wide screen TV.s home entertainment systems etc? That too could make a difference. I've simply thrown some things out there for your consideration. Deal with them honestly should they apply to you. Good luck.

Comment

I have no excuses. I will be honest and frank. I have passed many BIs. However, none for the FEDS. I just wanted to see the difference. I have never been asked about my negative credit history. But, with saying that I know the FEDS may.

THANKS! FOR THE HELP!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4231 users online. 184 members and 4047 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X