Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acceptable paint scheme for POV

Hi,

As I stated in my introduction, I own a small car shop here in Florida where I do mostly modifications on Scion vehicles.
    I recently started quite an interesting project which is to turn a Scion xB into a "Zombie response vehicle".

I have already done some research to find, in my state laws, what is acceptable for emergency lighting ( pretty much none as a civilian ) but I couldn't find anything concerning paint scheme and logo.

Our plan is to wrap the vehicle's in flat black and leave the original door panel green.
    Something similar to this following picture (where the white would be green):

Each logo used would be representing the zombie response unit, which consist of a hand coming out of the ground with writtings all around, and have the saying on the side " to protect and severe " (derivated from the famous "to protect and serve") and some random unit numbers on the back, roof, etc...

My question to you LEOs is, what is an ilegal paintjob or color scheme for a civilian vehicle?
    The last thing I want is I or a customer being arrested for impersonating a LEO.
    Are we going to be able to drive this vehicle around to shows without being pulled over?

I asked two random cops and they looked at me like I was nuts! and also said that it was illegal to do. On the other hand, there is multiple tax repair companies driving P71s down here and have "Credit Police" logos all over and they sure do look like official police cars from 50 to 100 yards away.
    I also have seen couple retirees driving old 70's Crown Vic with Florida state troopers livery all around. They are definitely not LEO anymore but could be retired officers.

What is your opinion?
    Thanks for reading,
    Clement

Consult the sections of the Florida State Statutes that deal with false personation (impersonating) a law enforcement officer, with attention to what color schemes and wording is and is not allowed on a vehicle.

After you do this, consult with the DHSMV.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
      Consult the sections of the Florida State Statutes that deal with false personation (impersonating) a law enforcement officer, with attention to what color schemes and wording is and is not allowed on a vehicle.

After you do this, consult with the DHSMV.
      This ^^^is your answer.

Comment

As a rule, most states have laws prohibiting the painting of personal vehicles anything near that which resembles an emergency vehicle under permit. That would exclude contrasting colors with white door panels, roofs, deck lids, etc. As stated above, check with the FL Vehicle code laws or contact your nearest FHP office for clarification.
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Thank you,

I just checked both websites and found information about flashing lights and such but still nothing concerning paint colors or scheme.
          I did found some section about false personation and it got scary for a second, but again; nothing really about vehicles.

I am going to try to give a call to the FHP see what's their take on that.
          Hopefully I get an "ok" and we can get our show car going.

Thank you.
          Clement

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
            As a rule, most states have laws prohibiting the painting of personal vehicles anything near that which resembles an emergency vehicle under permit. That would exclude contrasting colors with white door panels, roofs, deck lids, etc. As stated above, check with the FL Vehicle code laws or contact your nearest FHP office for clarification.
            Yeah, Texas doesn't have anything about paint schemes (other than you can't paint a bus yellow unless it's owned bya public ISD or a private school approved by the Texas Education Agency). In fact, if contrasting door panels and hoods/trunk lids were illegal, half my county would be arrested (see below).

Best bet would be to check with FHP though, as the good Sgt said...

RN10.jpg
            sigpic
            Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Black and green would be fine in Indiana. Black/white and Dark brown/light brown on former police vehicles isn't allowed, though. You could paint a Scion black and white since it wasn't a former police car, but if you bought a Crown Vic that used to be a police car it wouldn't be allowed to retain the black/white color scheme.

IC 5-22-22-9
              Disposal of law enforcement vehicles
              Sec. 9. (a) If a purchasing agency disposes of a law enforcement vehicle that is a model year of 1994 or after and is painted in a color scheme of more than one (1) color by transferring the vehicle to:
              (1) a person who will operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person must repaint the vehicle in:
              (A) a monochrome color scheme; or
              (B) a color scheme that does not duplicate the color scheme of an Indiana law enforcement vehicle;
              before the vehicle is operated on a public highway in Indiana;
              (2) a person who will sell or otherwise transfer the vehicle to another person who will operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person must repaint the vehicle in:
              (A) a monochrome color scheme; or
              (B) a color scheme that does not duplicate the color scheme of an Indiana law enforcement vehicle;
              before the vehicle is sold or otherwise transferred to the other person to be operated on a public highway in Indiana;
              (3) a person who will sell or otherwise transfer the vehicle to another person who will not operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person is not required to repaint the vehicle before the vehicle is sold or otherwise transferred to the

other person; or
              (4) another governmental body, the governmental body is not required to repaint the vehicle before the vehicle is operated on a public highway in Indiana.
              (b) Before a purchasing agency disposes of a law enforcement vehicle that is painted in a color scheme of more than one (1) color, the purchasing agency must provide a copy of this subsection to the prospective purchaser of the vehicle.
              (c) A person who violates this section commits a Class C infraction.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I'm looking at you like you're crazy...

Comment

@ TexasAggieOfc
                  I will definitely do that as I still have not located anything about it.

@ CruiserClass
                  That is nice and clear. Hopefully something similar is within FL laws.

@Unit453
                  I know I get that a lot

Thank you all for your inputs.
                  I am going to have to do some more homework.

Clement

Comment

Originally posted by Tigertouf View Post
                    Thank you,

I just checked both websites and found information about flashing lights and such but still nothing concerning paint colors or scheme.
                    I did found some section about false personation and it got scary for a second, but again; nothing really about vehicles.

I am going to try to give a call to the FHP see what's their take on that.
                    Hopefully I get an "ok" and we can get our show car going.

Thank you.
                    Clement

I know that the last time I looked at FSS, there was a rule against use of "FHP" colors, those being the tan scheme. Navigating the statutes is one thing, not seeing blue lights in your rear-view even in following the "letter of the law" is another matter.
                    Originally posted by SSD
                    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I guess I'm the only nerd that's like...."huh, a zombie response vehichle (ZRV). That sounds pretty friggen cool". For what it's worth, If I see you driving it in my area, you're not getting stopped for a paint scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
                        I'm looking at you like you're crazy...
                        +1

That said, I was young once and almost bought a hearse and coffin for a party car. The coffin was gonna be styro-lined to hold ice and beer. My best friend and I came very close to doing this, so let the youth have there quirky fun!
                        SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                        SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post
                          +1

That said, I was young once and almost bought a hearse and coffin for a party car. The coffin was gonna be styro-lined to hold ice and beer. My best friend and I came very close to doing this, so let the youth have there quirky fun!
                          Funny that you mentioned that. In a previous life I worked at a mortuary. One day the manager decided to retire one of the funeral coaches that had frequent mechanical challenges. A friend and I chipped in and purchased it for $500. We put in many hours of work and a few grand into the project. When we were done, we had plenty of room for SCUBA gear, a couple of surf boards and a built in cooler (fashioned from a youth casket). After a while we realized that we would be spending more in fuel costs and maintenance than it would be worth to us, so we sold the car.

Ah, the memories.
                          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Check with your local laws.....also realize that in certain areas, that you may attract gunfire for simply having a vehicle that even remotely resembles a LE patrol car.....
                            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post
                              +1

A genius in my hometown did something similar with an S-10. Real dirt, astro-turf, and a real coffin in the back. The coffin was full of amplifiers and what not, though, not beer. The S-10 was airbrushed with a bunch of vampire related stuff. He did really well at car shows.
                              I miss you, Dave.
                              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4462 users online. 272 members and 4190 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X