Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you react to a citizen with a Gerber Hinderer rescue knife?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you react to a citizen with a Gerber Hinderer rescue knife?

I drive 8x/year from Connecticut to Ohio to visit my 75 year old parents. In my travels I've been first or among the first to arrive at vehicle accidents on lightly traveled highways in PA and OH. As such, I thought it would be a good idea for me to carry on my person a Gerber Hinderer rescue knife in case I was first to arrive at an accident and had to cut a seat belt or break a window to get someone out of a vehicle fast.

My problem is that from research I found that the 3.5" blade is legal in CT, NY, NJ, and PA. Unfortunately, OH law isn't as clear - I've got a letter in to the Ohio Attorney General.

So, my question is if you stop me while traveling on the highway with this Gerber Hinderer rescue knife, how would you react?

Link to knife description (it has a dull point so that one can remove clothes, if needed)

http://www.gerbergear.com/Tactical/K...Knife_22-41534

**THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVISE**

If it's legal, than so be, I don't care at all.
    Ok, having said that, a big part of it would be why am I contacting you (assuming it's illegal)? If you were speeding, that's different than finding kilo in your car and the knife.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

If your knife is for emergencies just keep it in your trunk. Personally, I don't care about your knife.

Comment

I don't know OH law, and frankly am not going to take the time to look. However, I will tell you...read the statute and see if one of the elements of the offense is "intent to go armed" (as it is in TN law). Why does this matter...well, in TN the max length is 4 in., however, that does not mean that possessing any blade over 4 in. is necessarily a crime. If for example, Gerber made this knife in a 4.25in blade, and I found you in possession of it, I would take into account the features of the knife, the totality of the circumstances, and decide that your intent was more to be prepared to act in an aid capacity than to go armed. Now, having said that, just about everyone I know carries a folding pocket knife, and some are longer than 4in. No one really cares. The only time I'm gonna bother arresting you for it is if you are walking around with a butcher knife or something unreasonable like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
          If your knife is for emergencies just keep it in your trunk. Personally, I don't care about your knife.
          Hint ^^^There's your answer ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            Hint ^^^There's your answer ^^^
            agreed...if someone where to say "hey just fyi I have a knife here at X location" then I tell them the same thing I tell CHL holders..."Well, I'll tell ya what...if you dont show me yours, I wont show you mine"
            Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

Depending on the state laws, I'd vote for the glove box over the trunk (in case he needs it for himself).
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
              (")_(")
              Copy and paste Bunny into your
              signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

If I need help I dont care if you use an axe.

M-11
                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

This really is a non-issue as long as your not a career criminal.
                  This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

It's not the blade length that makes it illegal in new york, the fact that it is a gravity knife does. A gravity knife is considered a deadly weapon, and is the same charge as an unloaded firearm. We arrest for it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ummone View Post
                      This really is a non-issue as long as your not a career criminal.
                      This..
                      Ive let several "illegal knives" go down the road. As long as youre not a doper, felon or disrespectful a-hole I dont care about you having a knife

Comment

Ohio does not have a law based on blade length--it is the intent of the person carrying the knife and what they use it for. As stated above, put it in your glove box and forget about it unless you need it.

Comment

http://www.chiefsupply.com/4311-Task...FUjd4AodJEbriA

just get one of those and have no worries

Comment

Your fine with it!!

Comment

Originally posted by options open View Post
                              It's not the blade length that makes it illegal in new york, the fact that it is a gravity knife does.
                              I didn't see that this was a gravity knife.

Everyone in Alaska carries a knife. Kids carry knives here; heck 5 of my 6 kids carry knives everywhere but school.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2193 users online. 137 members and 2056 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X