300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Badge

How did it feel to receive that badge for the first time? Knowing everything that it represents?

How does it feel after 5,10, 20+ years? Does it become just a piece of metal? Or are you still in awe of what it represents?

I was really happy and proud to get mine almost 21 years ago. I beat out many others and many of the hardships are forgotten now. Also, I don't sit there and stare at it but it does catch my eye every now and then.

Comment

I am proud of the honor of the badge since day 1 to almost 12 yrs later. The only difference is the color, from silver (patrolman), to two-tone (sgt.) and hopefully all gold (Lt.).
      "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

Every once in a while I catch myself in the mirror in uniform and badge and just smile. I know I'm very lucky to have earned that badge. The day I got it was one of the better days of my life for sure.

Comment

I've had several badges over the years; each time I received one I felt proud to have been selected and entrusted to represent it. I hope that feeling never goes away.

Comment

After nearly 35 yrs I was without one for 6 months.................it was nice to receive the one that I use as my avatar...............an old friend returns.
            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

After 7+ years and 4 employing agencies I'm definitely not in "awe" of my badge. No more than most of the public being so. Some will disagree, but I don't see my job as a calling from God or doing anything heroic most days. I enjoy being a cop, and was inspired to become one after 9/11, but at the end of the day it's a job. A good one, one where you can do some good on an individual basis on occasion, but no more honorable than being a firefighter, teacher, social worker, servicemember, etc.

I will admit, though, the first time you get your badge pinned on/sworn in is a cool experience.
              Last edited by Kimble; 01-24-2012, 12:13 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

I only have a small number of "lifetime" memories; screenshots that are forever stamped into my memory. One of them was walking around backstage before our Academy graduation, then turning a corner and seeing a table with our badges on it. That stuck with me.

Comment

It is a great feeling to have, honor and abide by it! Coming on 10 years for me and every time I am in locker room getting ready for my day, makes me smile and realize how hard it took me to get where I am today.. Many people I know personally are still trying to accomplish a dream that I am thankful I get to do! Be safe my sisters and brothers out there who hold any job in LEO.

Comment

Originally posted by Chomp View Post
                    I only have a small number of "lifetime" memories; screenshots that are forever stamped into my memory. One of them was walking around backstage before our Academy graduation, then turning a corner and seeing a table with our badges on it. That stuck with me.
                    My "screenshot" memory was that when my agency head was pinning me, he made the comment that he had almost lost me and that he was happy to be able to pin my badge on. I felt honored that he remembered me out of all of the other officers and recruits that I had to leave the academy for a day or two until I was able to return after my orders had been cancelled. As y'all remember, the ground war was over in no time at all. If it was long and drawn out, I may not be typing this.

Comment

I only ever wore one badge, and it was presented to me when I retired. No one will ever wear that number again, particularly as my agency changed it's name and logos after I left. I was, and am, proud of it, and what it means.
                      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                      John Stuart Mill

Comment

I loved when I got it for the first time. It has changed from silver to gold over the years but I do, at times, catch myself looking at it and feeling the pride of being entrusted to carry it on my chest.

Comment

Add up your first girlfriend, first beer, first license, first best friend and everything else good in your life, that is what getting my shield meant to me.
                          "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                          I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

I have worn a badge since 1990, (Corrections, and Police), and while I remember the days when I could not wait to become a police officer, it has become a "job".Wish I could say that I am still excited, but I am not.

Comment

I earned my first badge forty-nine years ago and wore it with pride for the period of time I was affiliated with that ageny. Forty-six years ago, I earned my star and again wore it with pride. To this very day, I am proud to have served. I worked hard to earn my badges and I worked hard to sustain the authority they symbolize. Certainly, there were times when my entusiasm waned, but not my pride. My career was fulfilling and satisfying. I retired with my head held high and my faith supported and sustained. Those who tarnish the badge - irrespective of the agency - do so with hate in their heart and a low value of self worth.

Being a LEO is a career that I often recommend to competent and caring young men and wormen seeking a rewarding future.
                              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2203 users online. 84 members and 2119 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X