Breaking Car Windows In Order To Release Animal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking Car Windows In Order To Release Animal

It's 100 degrees outside. Windows up dog inside. Can you, as a LEO, break the window and release the dog to ASPCA or the local shelter or are you legally not allowed to break the window, you simply have to sit there and wait for the owner or have the local department store call over the "owner of a red hyundai sonata" for example?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question!

CHP officers can break the windows of vehicles to free animals, children or adults from vehicle to preserve live. All the officer has to do is articulate the urgent need in the form of a memorandum of circumstances. Animals must be released to the local SPCA.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Depends on what condition the animal is in. If it is in obvious distress, the window is being broken. If the animall hasn't gotten to that point yet, then an attempt will be made to find the owner asap.
      Steve

Comment

Pretty much the same here as SgtCHP said. So long as a health risk can be articulated, than the window is going bye-bye. And the kids are not going to back which ever loser parent left them in the car.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
        (")_(")
        Copy and paste Bunny into your
        signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Windows are gonna get broken!
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Break the window and save the animal!
            " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

I'm busting the window
              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I thought that was the case, breaking the window if the animal/person is really in distress, but I was not 100% sure. Thank you for clarifying it as well.

Comment

I've done it. Window gets broken.

Comment

Quinn, in NYS, A&M law article 26 authorizes any LEOs and agent of the SPCA to do what they have to get the animal out of the car, but must do following:

1. Must try to locate the owner of the car. However, if it is dire emergency and can't locate the owner of the vehicle, then a police officer or the peace officer can retrieve the animal from a locked vehicle.

Comment

Use my lock out tool.
                      Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

State of New Hampshire laws goes farther than just allowing the breaking of the window, it explicitly exempts anyone breaking a vehicle window from civil claims against them if they break the window to save an animal or person in extreeme weather conditions. Extreeme weather conditions apply to both extreeme heat or cold.
                        GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
                          Use my lock out tool.
                          ^^this^^ is called The BIG EASY!!! just like me...
                          I got nothing for now

Comment

Windows get broken, tickets get scratched.

Comment

I have more compassion for animals these days than I do for scum bags that are sucking society dry just so they can get more pills to feed their habit.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8249 users online. 254 members and 7995 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X