Underage Drinking Party

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underage Drinking Party

Hello everyone, Im kind of new here. I've always wanted to be an officer and I had just been browsing through other peoples postings, and I had a question of my own. Last night a few friends of mine went to a party where there was alcohol being served. It was a high school party so they were all under 18. I did not attend because I want to be a police officer in the future and I don't want to have any blemishes on my record as it's already hard enough to get into Law enforcement. Now at this party, apparently the police were called and the kids starting running. Anybody that ran out of the front door was caught, sat on the curb, and cited. Now I was wondering, how would a person who has not been drinking and just walks out of the party be handled? I understand that it has a lot to do with discretion but in general. I know a few officers and I have nothing but respect for them and I would never run from the police. A few years ago, an officer from the DUI unit came in and spoke to our class about the matter, and he stated that he would still be able to cite you for possession because you could have had access to alcohol during the party. However i have received conflicting thoughts from other officers I know. I personally would not attend a party like this even though I wouldn't be drinking but it is just out of curiosity. Thank you for any answers to my question, and I really admire what you guys do everyday.

And if it helps, I am from Maryland

You weren't there----------that is good.

Comment

^^^Ditto^^^

To answer your question, your instructor was correct we can cite for "constructive possession." However, it is a discretion issue and most of the time officers will not cite the persons smart enough not to drink underage. Although, I would not recommend that you run the risk of meeting that officer that will cite EVERYONE. Simple solution, keep doing what you're doing and stay away from those parties.

Comment

The best decision you made relative to that party, was the that you didn't go. Going to a party where you know underage drinking is taking place is a recipe for problems even if you don't, or didn't drink. You'd be well advised to remain away from such gatherings even if you didn't desire at some point to enter law enforcement. One of the most important things you'll have to do over the next few years, is choose your friends wisely. One screw up could possibly put a serious crimp in your plans and ambitions. The "friends" could also care less. Not saying to not have a good time. It's entirely possible to do that w/o the help of alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          The best decision you made relative to that party, was the that you didn't go. Going to a party where you know underage drinking is taking place is a recipe for problems even if you don't, or didn't drink. You'd be well advised to remain away from such gatherings even if you didn't desire at some point to enter law enforcement. One of the most important things you'll have to do over the next few years, is choose your friends wisely. One screw up could possibly put a serious crimp in your plans and ambitions. The "friends" could also care less. Not saying to not have a good time. It's entirely possible to do that w/o the help of alcohol.
          Please read, re-read and read again. Have fun in your teens but always give thought to what you're doing and what can happen. You strike me as fairly mature for your age, that's a good thing, just be aware and be prepared to stand up to peer pressure--that's a sure sign of maturity.
          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            That is exactly what I plan on doing. Having fun but within the bounds of the law. I'm not going to let short term fun ruin long term goals. Thank you for your reply

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
              Please read, re-read and read again. Have fun in your teens but always give thought to what you're doing and what can happen. You strike me as fairly mature for your age, that's a good thing, just be aware and be prepared to stand up to peer pressure--that's a sure sign of maturity.
              Thank you and I'm glad you think so. I won't let friends stand in the way of me accomplishing my goals.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                ^^^Ditto^^^

To answer your question, your instructor was correct we can cite for "constructive possession." However, it is a discretion issue and most of the time officers will not cite the persons smart enough not to drink underage. Although, I would not recommend that you run the risk of meeting that officer that will cite EVERYONE. Simple solution, keep doing what you're doing and stay away from those parties.
                Thank you for answering my question as to what one can be charged with even if they haven't been drinking. I will continue to stay away from these parties.

Comment

I'm sure 99% of police officers had been at a party with alcohol/ and consumed in their high school days. I was sent home without a ticket/arrest when I was 17 and was thankful and learned from it. These days lawyers run the country and everyone is liable for everything. You have more chances of being cited now days just because of liability. No one is perfect and a single encounter, even citation won't prevent you from ever being a cop. Just don't put yourself in the position of getting cited, then applying at a department 6 months later. It can be excusable if it happened a "few" years ago as long as there was no pattern of alcohol abuse (2nd offenses). The biggest thing that can stop you is a DUI. Most departments won't consider an applicant with a prior DUI. For that matter, I knew a really good cop that lost his career over a DUI.
                  Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

Good thing you were not there. But like my partner 355339 said it best. I have even been at an underage party that was "crashed" by the police. Like you, I had not been drinking. The best thing I did to keep me from getting a ticket or worse? I didnt run and I was honest. It goes a long way. The officers appreciated my honesty and after cleaning up some beer cans I was free to leave. Moral (sp?) of the story? Dont go. Period. But it seems like your a smart kid who is already making good decisions. Keep it up.

Comment

[QUOTE=355339;2943783]I'm sure 99% of police officers had been at a party with alcohol/ and consumed in their high school days.
                      +1 Finally some realism.

Comment

Originally posted by tincitycopper View Post
                        Good thing you were not there. But like my partner 355339 said it best. I have even been at an underage party that was "crashed" by the police. Like you, I had not been drinking. The best thing I did to keep me from getting a ticket or worse? I didnt run and I was honest. It goes a long way. The officers appreciated my honesty and after cleaning up some beer cans I was free to leave. Moral (sp?) of the story? Dont go. Period. But it seems like your a smart kid who is already making good decisions. Keep it up.
                        Good on you.

I always ran.

M-11
                        “All men dream...... But not equally..
                        Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                        but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                        for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                          Good on you.

I always ran.

M-11
                          lol

Comment

What ever happen to the old days of cops dragging kids to the front door of their parents house and yelling your deal with him!!!!. Oh ya parents became morons that stopped taking care of their children.

Forgot to mention they all so used to steal the beer never mind pouring it out
                            !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck9899 View Post
                              What ever happen to the old days of cops dragging kids to the front door of their parents house and yelling your deal with him!!!!. Oh ya parents became morons that stopped taking care of their children.

Forgot to mention they all so used to steal the beer never mind pouring it out
                              !!!!!
                              I've done similar things when the kids were scared of their parents.
                              We ask a couple of kids busted with pot once what their parents would think of the jail calling them.... they were spooked at the thought...... so we told them we were calling their parents and releasing them rather than jailing them..... those kids freaked out, and begged to be sent to jail..... I really think they feared their parents.

Edit to add: they talked to use a lot until we called, then they shut-up all most totally until mom and dad got there.
                              Last edited by CACBAND; 01-08-2012, 07:28 PM.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                              (")_(")
                              Copy and paste Bunny into your
                              signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7797 users online. 246 members and 7551 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X