Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking towards future...

Hello all.

I have a few questions about the hiring process. I'm currently 17 years old and will be turning 18 in January. I have a girlfriend that is 8 months younger than me. It is a sexual relationship and I want to get some advice on the eligibility of getting hired given the following circumstances. If I engage in any sexual activity while she is under age and I'm an adult will that affect my chances of being hired given the circumstances? I'm afraid a question will come up asking if I have ever had any sexual contact with a minor. Of course I would tell the truth but would the department look at the circumstances and not think twice or will they look at it as what it legally is and completely disqualify me?

It depends on the state if that age difference of not would be legal. My advice is not to, if your going to (and I'm not stupid enough to think your not going to) I would A) check the state law and STILL B) Be damn sure her parents know and are "understanding." Legal or not they could still cause nightmares for you.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Most of the questions I've seen ask "unlawful sexual conduct" if it's legal than the answer is no. If for whatever reason they do flat out ask regardless of lawfulness than you would to have answer honestly. Answering honestly is looked highly at, hiding something on the other is a perfect way to get shuned from the dept for life.
      (\__/)
      (")_(")

Comment

Great advice above, i just wanna say if you think or feel its wrong DONT DO IT!, by thinking it’s wrong you’re giving yourself an answer that could probably avoid a Big Problem.
        NYC Corrections Exam: 2322
        Academy: March 2015 (Got the call!!) NYCDOC

Comment

I'm not going to pass on the moral implications of your relationship. I will advise you to become familiar with the law(s) of your state regarding consent. In the very simplest of terms, if your SO has not reached the legal age of consent in your state, the law presumes to say "NO" on her behalf. This remains true without regard to any "understanding" either by her parents or yours. It remains true whether or not she herself says "Yes". Any unlawful conduct on your part can and very likely would negatively impact your prospects for employment in law enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeD View Post
            but would the department look at the circumstances and not think twice or will they look at it as what it legally

Think about your above statement for a minute.

We deal with "legally" every minute of every day of our career.

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            I'm not going to pass on the moral implications of your relationship. I will advise you to become familiar with the law(s) of your state regarding consent. In the very simplest of terms, if your SO has not reached the legal age of consent in your state, the law presumes to say "NO" on her behalf. This remains true without regard to any "understanding" either by her parents or yours. It remains true whether or not she herself says "Yes". Any unlawful conduct on your part can and very likely would negatively impact your prospects for employment in law enforcement.

^^^^^ +1

Comment

I looked into my state laws as suggested and found this.

13-1405. Sexual conduct with a minor; classification; definition
              A. A person commits sexual conduct with a minor by intentionally or knowingly engaging in sexual intercourse or oral sexual contact with any person who is under eighteen years of age.

13-1407. Defenses
              F. It is a defense to a prosecution pursuant to sections 13-1405 and 13-3560 if the victim is fifteen, sixteen or seventeen years of age, the defendant is under nineteen years of age or attending high school and is no more than twenty-four months older than the victim and the conduct is consensual.

So, really by state law, I am not breaking any laws since I will never turn 19 before she turns 18? Is that what the "defense to a prosecution" means? If not what does it mean?

Thank you for your responses so far.

Comment

A. A person commits sexual conduct with a minor by intentionally or knowingly engaging in sexual intercourse or oral sexual contact with any person who is under eighteen years of age.

13-1407. Defenses
                F. It is a defense to a prosecution pursuant to sections 13-1405 and 13-3560 if the victim is fifteen, sixteen or seventeen years of age, the defendant is under nineteen years of age or attending high school and is no more than twenty-four months older than the victim and the conduct is consensual.

So, really by state law, I am not breaking any laws since I will never turn 19 before she turns 18? Is that what the "defense to a prosecution" means? If not what does it mean?

Give this man a cigar.

Comment

13-1407. Defenses

Congrats on looking it up. From the way I read it, it doesn't mean you can't be charged, but rather that should you get charged that's your defense. I'd still suggest you hold off until she's 18, anyway.
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7545 users online. 305 members and 7240 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                  X