Certified vs Uncertified

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified vs Uncertified

Well, my situation here is that I work at a dispatch center for all of our local agencies as well as the state troopers in our area. I want to get out on the road as soon as possible; I've passed an extensive background check as well as a polygraph to get into the job I am in now. My criminal record is completely clean as well as my driving record. I will be applying to every local agency and also the State Highway Patrol.

However, I own a house and am currently engaged to be married this summer. There is no possible way to self sponsor myself through the academy; in an LEO's perspective how would someone in my position fair applying at angecies uncertified?

Thank you for the read and even more for your replies.

Originally posted by CCordova1 View Post
    Well, my situation here is that I work at a dispatch center for all of our local agencies as well as the state troopers in our area. I want to get out on the road as soon as possible; I've passed an extensive background check as well as a polygraph to get into the job I am in now. My criminal record is completely clean as well as my driving record. I will be applying to every local agency and also the State Highway Patrol.

However, I own a house and am currently engaged to be married this summer. There is no possible way to self sponsor myself through the academy; in an LEO's perspective how would someone in my position fair applying at angecies uncertified?

Thank you for the read and even more for your replies.

You can only try...............................

Quite honestly, the competition is terrible....................a person has to really stand out. Being a dispatcher is a good start.

You have already discounted self sponsoring ----therefore you only have one option. Apply and see what happens
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 11-08-2011, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      You can only try...............................

Quite honestly, the competition is terrible....................a person has to really stand out. Being a dispatcher is a good start.

You have already discounted self sponsoring ----therefore you only have one option. Apply and see what happens
      Definitely going to try my hardest. I think that would be my forte for being hired; it's been a goal of mine since I've graduated Highschool and I've been fighting tooth and nail to become a LEO and will continue to do so for a career in this profession.

Comment

Be glad you have the option of self-sponsoring. In SC we are agency-sponsor only. I've tried plenty of places to get on with and I always seem to be getting the boot in favor of a certified transfer. I'd apply to get out on the road with my Troopers but my eyesight is too bad, 20/400, and the cutoff even with lenses is 20/100 uncorrected, so I would need surgery first and I don't have the money

Good luck though!
        SCHP TCO

Freemason

Comment

If you're hired by the Utah Highway Patrol, you'll attend the Academy on their dime. In fact, you'll receive pay and benefits while attending the Academy. For local agencies my suggestion is that you do some research. As a forum, we've done numerous discussions on self sponsor academies, and pretty well explored the pro's and cons. Use the search function, and you should be able to glean considerable information on the subject. Good luck in your efforts.

Comment

In Illinois you are also sponsored by your department through the academy, so I don't have any advice. Good luck!

Comment

My advice is to apply to large depts that send their candidates to the academy or to their own academy. That way you are on an even playing field. Places that hire self-sponsors probably aren't going to give you a chance.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5044 users online. 226 members and 4818 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
              X