Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Sworn-In to a Police Department (What Occurs)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Sworn-In to a Police Department (What Occurs)

What exactly happens when you get Sworn-In as a Police Officer? Do you get your badge right then an there? I am getting sworn-in later in this month. I am new to Law Enforcement, so I don't know exactly what happens.

Thanks

I put my hand up, repeated a few lines from a sheet of paper, and got a handshake from the chief. I think there is a more official looking one coming up at a town hall meeting when I graduate from the academy.

I also developed x-ray vision.

Comment

Six of us assembled in the Sheriff's office (the head honcho's actual office, not just HQ in general), he told us that the one thing that will guarantee he'd terminate any of us would be to lie about anything. Then his secretary read us the oath, we said "I do" and that was it. The sheriff went back to his paperwork and one of the new hires who'd worked several years as a CO for us extended his hand. The sheriff looked up for a second, then stood up and shook our hands without saying a word, then sat back down to his paperwork.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

You stand there with you right arm raised and you repeat after the person swearing you in what ever he/she says. After that, you shake hands with friends, family, other officers in attendance, etc. Then you sign something but sometimes you sign something first. But in all of that hoopla, you look down on that bright and shiny new badge and grab it firmly due to the wild ride you will have as a LEO.

Comment

Part of it depends on the dept. I've been sworn in by the chief in his office and I've been sworn in by the mayor at a town council meeting.

Comment

First agency I was with (I self-sponsored in the academy, graduated and then went to work for them) - They had me sworn in by the Municipal Judge before the start of traffic court. Chief pinned the badge on, I raised my right hand and repeated everything she said. Big production.

Last two agencies - "Here sign this form and get your @$$ to work."
            sigpic
            Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Stood there, hand raised, repeated the oath...couple weeks later, shook hands with the Governor and he congratulated me on my appointment. No big deal.

Comment

Mine was less than special. "Here's the oath, sign at the bottom" "Thanks"
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                (")_(")
                Copy and paste Bunny into your
                signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Originally posted by CACBAND View Post
                  Mine was less than special. "Here's the oath, sign at the bottom" "Thanks"
                  My first agency didn't swear in anybody. I worked as a reserve officer there for a short spell, and one day the chief called me into his office and had me sit down. He said, I need to hire one full time, you want the job? So I said yes, I swapped out my reserve badge for the style the full timers wore and he said "start monday." Academy followed a couple weeks later.

My current agency did the whole shebang. Suits, tie, raise the right hand, yada yada... much ado about nothing, IMO.

Comment

It's what you make of it. Both times I was sworn in by the Mayor in the police station. Larger departments tend to have elaborate ceremonies.

I'm kind of old-fashioned, so although I repeated the words quickly, I actaully thought about what I was swearing to. It shouldn't be taken lightly. Although I see all sorts of answers here, some of which being that it isn't a big deal, I think it should be.

If you truly mean what you are raising your hand and swearing to, and you shoud mean it, it means your life is different from that point on. It means that you are willing to uphold the Constituion of the state and the Nation. To defend it from all those who mean to do it harm, and if need be, make the ultimate sacrifice to make that defense.

My parents, my sister, and my friends all sleep at night guarded by men and women who made that oath, just like I have, and just like you will. It is a noble thing that defines your character. Be worthy of it.

OK, enough pontification for now. I like the X-Ray vision thing, too. That is definately an added perk! :-)

Comment

First time was in the clerks office. Signed paper while working. Second was promotions. Done before the council meeting with friends, family, bible and such.
                      Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

I was sworn in 1970, very informal, there were about 10 of us getting hired... We were given our badges and ID cards. Some Sgt. swore us in. At the time LASD had a off the streeter program where you worked in the jail prior to the academy... After being sworn in we drove to the uniform store in downtown Los Angeles where we received our class A and Class B uniforms...

At midnight I was working in the county jail system, where I worked for 2 months prior to starting the academy.
                        Retired LASD

Comment

We have a formal graduation ceremony; the graduating class sits there at attention while several speakers talk about Metro's history, etc. Then one at a time you go up and the Sheriff (or a family member, if they are a current/retired LEO) pins your badge on. Everyone raises their right hand and swears in.

I will never forget walking backstage, BSing with my fellow graduates, then looking over and seeing our badges sitting on a table. For me, that specific moment was when it all became real for me. We all walked a long damn road to get those pieces of tin.

EDIT: Here's how ours looks, starting at about 6 minutes into the video:

http://www.lvrj.com/multimedia/the-m...112131534.html
                          Last edited by Chomp; 11-09-2011, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post
                            I put my hand up, repeated a few lines from a sheet of paper, and got a handshake from the chief. I think there is a more official looking one coming up at a town hall meeting when I graduate from the academy.

I also developed x-ray vision.
                            Did you get your x-ray vision before or after the angels started to sing?

Comment

It's usually just a bunch of people yelling horrible things at you. Happens all the time.

*edit: Oh, that says sworn IN. Nevermind.
                              “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8247 users online. 250 members and 7997 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X