Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Record Expungement and LE job

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Record Expungement and LE job

    5 years ago i was arrested and charged with possession of fire works on educational property in North Carolina, which is a felony. I was handcuffed and fingered printed, but i was given community service and a fine, and upon completion of those the charge would be dropped. I did what i was supposed to and they were dropped, and of course on my record it shows that I was arrested for a felony still. I just recently got my record expunged. I have my degree in criminal justice, i haven't gotten so much as a speeding ticket since then. My whole life i have wanted to do nothing but be a police officer. My question/concern is do i need disclose that information on my application or can i answer no to the question have i been convicted or charged. And if yes i do, could it cause problems even though it was expunged? Please any one with any knowledge on this let me know. Thank you

  • #2
    Originally posted by thinblueline23 View Post
    My question/concern is do i need disclose that information on my application or can i answer no to the question have i been convicted or charged. And if yes i do, could it cause problems even though it was expunged? Please any one with any knowledge on this let me know. Thank you
    You were arrested and charged with a felony. Fact of life. It doesn't matter if the charges were later expunged---------YOU WERE ARRESTED AND CHARGED with a FELONY.....................Actually you were CONVICTED of a felony.


    Originally posted by thinblueline23 View Post
    And if yes i do, could it cause problems even though it was expunged? Please any one with any knowledge on this let me know. Thank you
    Yes there will be consequences for your previous actions. It doesn't matter that the conviction was "expunged" You were ARRESTED, CHARGED, & CONVICTED of a felony.

    For the most part you will not be eligible for hire as a police officer anywhere in the United States.



    Originally posted by thinblueline23 View Post
    My whole life i have wanted to do nothing but be a police officer.
    Obviously this statement is not true.

    At the time you committed a felony-------------------------you were not thinking of your "dream" to be a police officer.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

    Comment


    • #3
      Were you a juvenile when you were charged? Regardless in IL you can't expunge a felony conviction off your criminal history.

      Comment


      • #4
        As has been said, you have to answer "Yes."
        Should you choice not to answer "yes," there's a 99.9% chance they are going to find out, and than your chance of being a cop (which is already about 0) will be in the negatives.

        Honstly, I'd be looking into a different line of work. I can't think one place that will a felony. For that matter, you'll being going head to head with tons of people that have college degrees and no crimes on their records.
        This is a straight quote from the state standards in AZ (and all states I know have about the same wording)
        Not have been convicted of a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Arizona
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
        (")_(")
        Copy and paste Bunny into your
        signature to help him gain world domination

        Comment


        • #5
          Here's How California Looks At It

          Any person convicted of a felony (or of a crime in another jurisdiction that would be a felony in
          California) is prohibited from employment as a California peace officer [Government Code
          Section 1029(a)]. This prohibition holds even if the conviction was sealed, expunged, or set
          aside. It may also apply to any convictions that were subsequently reduced to a misdemeanor
          occurring on or after January 1, 2004.

          Proceedings under juvenile court are generally not considered to be a criminal conviction under
          Government Code Section 1029 unless the individual was certified, tried, and convicted as an
          adult. Therefore, juvenile convictions are not included as a legal bar to appointment as a peace
          officer. However, the conduct surrounding the offense should certainly be considered as part of
          the overall background.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

          Comment


          • #6
            While I personally don't think your actions should have equaled a felony, the fact of the matter is you were arrested and convicted of a felony. Your chances of becoming a cop are very very remote, if not impossible in the majority of the states.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by thinblueline23 View Post
              5 years ago i was arrested and charged with possession of fire works on educational property in North Carolina, which is a felony. I was handcuffed and fingered printed, but i was given community service and a fine, and upon completion of those the charge would be dropped. I did what i was supposed to and they were dropped, and of course on my record it shows that I was arrested for a felony still. I just recently got my record expunged. I have my degree in criminal justice, i haven't gotten so much as a speeding ticket since then. My whole life i have wanted to do nothing but be a police officer. My question/concern is do i need disclose that information on my application or can i answer no to the question have i been convicted or charged. And if yes i do, could it cause problems even though it was expunged? Please any one with any knowledge on this let me know. Thank you
              Wow! Possession of fire works as a felony......an expunged record means nothing when it comes to a background investigation for law enforcement.
              Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

              Comment


              • #8
                never, never, never lie about your criminal history.....it's the friggen police man. Their gonna find out. I can't speak for any other states, but in TN, if you are charged with a felony, you are no longer legally allowed to carry a firearm. Can't legally carry a firearm equals......can't be the police. Just as a side note to any other readers, in TN, if you are convicted of domestic assault (a misdemeanor), you cannot legally carry a firearm. Guess what's the fastest way to lose your job as a police officer in TN.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bluescitycop View Post
                  Just as a side note to any other readers, in TN, if you are convicted of domestic assault (a misdemeanor), you cannot legally carry a firearm.
                  It's that way everywhere under federal law (Lautenberg Amendment).
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                  (")_(")
                  Copy and paste Bunny into your
                  signature to help him gain world domination

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Possession of fireworks a felony? Yeah, that's a little stiff. The fact remains though, that you were arrested/convicted for a felony. That will pretty well preclude your being employed as a Police Officer anywhere in the United States. It's been noted to you, but is worth repeating, that is NO such thing as an expungement in a police background investigation.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bluescitycop View Post
                      but in TN, if you are charged with a felony, you are no longer legally allowed to carry a firearm. Can't legally carry a firearm equals......can't be the police.
                      This is what im confused about, After it all happened, 3 years later(when i turned 21) i moved to TN, I was able to purchase a firearm with no issue and i was able to get my concealed carry with no issue. But according to your statement i would not be able to

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by thinblueline23 View Post
                        This is what im confused about, After it all happened, 3 years later(when i turned 21) i moved to TN, I was able to purchase a firearm with no issue and i was able to get my concealed carry with no issue. But according to your statement i would not be able to
                        Did you disclose the fact that you had been convicted of a felony.....................?
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Iowa, Yes i did, and i was still able to get it.
                          And FYI for everyone saying im screwed and get another career, I spoke with multiple recruiters from police departments all over the country. They all have said that im not out of being a police officer. They obviously said that they will see the arrest on my record, but they said because it was expunged it "didnt" happen and because it was dismissed pre trial that it wont affect my application and i just have to be honest and not try to hide it, which is obvious. They also said, because of the nature of the felony...possession of fireworks on educational property, its not really something they would be overly concerned about...
                          Thank you every one who gave me positive feedback.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by thinblueline23 View Post
                            Iowa, Yes i did, and i was still able to get it.
                            And FYI for everyone saying im screwed and get another career, I spoke with multiple recruiters from police departments all over the country. They all have said that im not out of being a police officer. They obviously said that they will see the arrest on my record, but they said because it was expunged it "didnt" happen and because it was dismissed pre trial that it wont affect my application and i just have to be honest and not try to hide it, which is obvious. They also said, because of the nature of the felony...possession of fireworks on educational property, its not really something they would be overly concerned about...
                            Thank you every one who gave me positive feedback.
                            What we've given you is honest, real world,real time feedback. For the Agency from which I'm retired you'd be a DQ. I grant you, the original charge is rather a surprise. However, given your arrest, Alabama POST would NOT allow an agency to employ you in a sworn officer capacity. You'll find that this is going to be true in just about state in the Union. You can continue to argue with us, which begs the question of why you inquired in the first place. The fact remains, and given the large number of applicants available without your issues, that you're not likely to be employed in this profession. I don't especially enjoy telling you this, but then, the assumption was that you desired honest replies.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by thinblueline23 View Post
                              Iowa, Yes i did, and i was still able to get it.
                              And FYI for everyone saying im screwed and get another career, I spoke with multiple recruiters from police departments all over the country. They all have said that im not out of being a police officer. They obviously said that they will see the arrest on my record, but they said because it was expunged it "didnt" happen and because it was dismissed pre trial that it wont affect my application and i just have to be honest and not try to hide it, which is obvious. They also said, because of the nature of the felony...possession of fireworks on educational property, its not really something they would be overly concerned about...
                              Thank you every one who gave me positive feedback.
                              If you were not convicted ( dismissed pre-trial) why did you go through a diversion process and get community service & why did you need to get it "expunged"....It is quite possible that you don't have a felony conviction on your record.....................BUT you still have a felony ARREST on your record and it will not bode well for your chances of being employed in the Law Enforcement profession

                              It is quite obvious that you don't want an honest answer from those of us who have been in the hiring process for a long time. So be it


                              A recruiter really doesn't have much say in the hiring process.......................their job is to get people into the system so the rest of the process can be completed.

                              The Background Investigator will not feel that "because it was expunged it "didnt" happen". The process of hiring a new officer is long, detailed, and compartmentalized so there are many points of view considered. Several of us on here have been doing BI's and hiring panels for many years. Those of us who have answered you on this forum are more than a little experienced in doing this. If you choose not to listen to ALL the advice you get here that is fine............................it is what it is.

                              Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                              For the Agency from which I'm retired you'd be a DQ. ....................Alabama POST would NOT allow an agency to employ you in a sworn officer capacity. Y
                              ..

                              As you would be in Iowa.
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 8575 users online. 172 members and 8403 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X