Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your department allow weapon lights?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your department allow weapon lights?

My PD is allowing officers to put surefire weapon lights on their pistols next time they qualify. The neighboring PD does not allow weapon lights unless the officer is K9, SWAT, or TAC ops. Why will some departments not allow weapon lights? As a competitive shooter, I can say that two hands on a pistol at night, under stress, will improve accuracy. The flashlight under the pistol is awkward, so why would a PD not allow weapon lights?

Yes, we are allowed to have them in patrol. I do not use one however. Why do some depts not allow them? I don't know. Probably the same reason some depts make their officers wear ridiculously old fashioned and non-practical uniforms...

Comment

We are authorized 4 different tac lights. They're authorized for everyone. I have the surefire x300 and I'm pretty happy with it. The only requirement for us is that we are required to have a flashlight of some kind attached to our duty belts if we have a tac light on our gun. So guys won't feel the need to use the tac light as a regular flashlight.

Comment

My department doesn't care. I also have a Crimson Trace grip on the way. Depending on how I like it, it will or will not be put on the duty gun.
        "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
        I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

At my previous department, they didn't care what you did with your weapon, so I had a streamlight M-3 weaponlight on my G31. At my current department, there was a policy against weaponlights until about a year and a half ago. Up until then, we were issued Level 1 "thumb snap" holsters. However, we are now issued a streamlight TLR-1 to go on our weapons (G22), along with the safariland 6360 holster. We are required to use both the issued weaponlight and the issued holster while on duty. We are not authorized to add anything to our weapons such as laser grips. However, they are issued from the department with Trijicon night sights.

As a side note, the reason we were not allowed to use weapon lights in the past was because the previous chief was afraid that patrol officers would pull out their weapons to use them as a flashlight. The new chief had a change of heart and issued the lights.

And guess what? 2 months after getting them issued, an officer was on the 10 oclock news using their weapon as a flashlight at a crime scene. *doh*
          Last edited by kf4vix82; 09-22-2011, 01:09 AM.

Comment

I have carried a TLR-1 LED since I went from a gen2 glock to a gen4. At my current dept, we can carry it, just can't use it when we qualify for some reason. I love mine and ordered it and a new holster (same model I had been using, just made for having a light) when I found out we were for sure getting the new guns.

Originally posted by ChiefRuss
            As much as I hate to be "that guy" I can give you a chief's perspective. In many cases, it's a budget issue. Everything costs money and if the decision maker that holds the purse strings of a budget isn't educated on the value of such items, they simply brush the topic away as though it were a patrol toy. One of my weapon training officers asked for lights last year for the AR-15s. He gave me quite a long story as to why they were a good thing to get. I basically brushed it off.

This year, my other weapon training officer simply brought his personal AR into my office, showed me the light, said they were under $200.00 and said, Chief, "it is imperative that we get these for our squad rifles." All I heard was "under $200.00" and "imperative." We ordered them the next day. Chiefs and other brass are often so focused on the administrative end of things they can lose focus on the backbone of their agency, the patrol division. I'm not saying it's right, that's just the way it is.
            Yours,
            Chief Russ
            Chief, would you allow officer's to carry it if they paid for it and a new holster themselves? This is what we do and the LT wants to issue them, but we don't have the money. I can understand that a department doesn't want the liability of 'what if something happens to the gun' or 'the officer pulled his gun to use the flashlight' but I hope that officer have enough common sense to use the light accordingly (I know this isn't always true).
            Originally posted by Ceridwen
            Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Originally posted by kf4vix82 View Post
              At my previous department, they didn't care what you did with your weapon, so I had a streamlight M-3 weaponlight on my G31. At my current department, there was a policy against weaponlights until about a year and a half ago. Up until then, we were issued Level 1 "thumb snap" holsters. However, we are now issued a streamlight TLR-1 to go on our weapons (G22), along with the safariland 6360 holster. We are required to use both the issued weaponlight and the issued holster while on duty. We are not authorized to add anything to our weapons such as laser grips. However, they are issued from the department with Trijicon night sights.

As a side note, the reason we were not allowed to use weapon lights in the past was because the previous chief was afraid that patrol officers would pull out their weapons to use them as a flashlight. The new chief had a change of heart and issued the lights.

And guess what? 2 months after getting them issued, an officer was on the 10 oclock news using their weapon as a flashlight at a crime scene. *doh*
              I did some training with a department that had similar issues with officers using the weapon light as a flashlight. The way they solved that was to issue standard holsters and an separate duty belt pouch for the weapon light. Officers were trained to search with the light, then fix to the weapon if needed. Most officers still carried another flashlight on their duty belts.
              Getting shot hurts. Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you. My personal thoughts is to avoid being shot by any caliber.

Comment

TLR-1 is issued, so is the Glock 22 and the holster for them.
                If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

I had a TLR-1 on my Glock 22 (3rd gen I believe) and took it off. My Glock began to jam about every 3rd round with the light on. When I took the light off, problem solved. Anyone want to buy a TLR-1??
                  I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

We're allowed to have flashlights on our weapons, provided we purchase them and the holster to carry it in. We are prohibited from having a laser sight on our duty weapon (brass said it's too intimidating). Laser sights are also prohibited on long guns/SRT weapons, but we are allowed to use holographic sights.

Originally posted by Cyber_Saint View Post
                    So guys won't feel the need to use the tac light as a regular flashlight.
                    That's the only problem I see with weapon lights but our policy prohibits officers from doing that. You do NOT want to be called to the Chief's office over something like that.
                    “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

I bought the TLR-1 (and rail adapter) and holster for my HK USP45, and we are allowed to carry it (after watching a short video). I also bought the rail adapter and X300/holster for the 92FS. I am sure that I will not be without a weapon light on patrol again.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by Smurfette
                      Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                      Originally posted by DAL
                      You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Have many weapon lights for both pistols and rifles and have extensivly used all of them. With that said, my dept does allow you to have and use a weapon light but you can only use the issued holster, which does not support the light.

For a very long list of reasons I will not carry or mount a weapon light on my pistol unless I can holster it in that same fashion. I will not carry a rifle without a light though. A longgun without a light is only half a weapon system.

I have my own opinions on pistol lights, I belive they are over utilized by some officers. They have a role to be sure, but certainly do not replace a good handheld light even in a tactical situation.

Comment

Originally posted by kf4vix82 View Post

Then the way to deal with that would be to severely punish the officer for drawing his weapon at an inappropriate time. If he was at a crime scene, and being filmed, it was likely in complete view of the public. Bench the officer for a few days and make it known to the PD that anyone drawing their weapon when it's not necessary (i.e. at a contained and secured crime scene) to use the flashlight will face similar punishment.

That's not an issue with the weapon mounted light, that's an issue with an idiot officer.
                          Originally posted by K40
                          To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                          ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

My Dept allows it and hopefully when I requal in November I will be one of those Officers that have one. With that being said, I'm surprised no one mentioned this reason that some Depts do not allow them. Bad guys will shoot where the light is. At least at my first agency that is why we were taught to not only put the hand with the flashlight under the gun like most people do, but to hold it high and to the outside of your body while shooting one-handed. When you are doing something, such as searching a house and using a light, if the bad guy decides he wants to shoot, guess where he is shooting... at the light.

It reminds me of when I heard an ex Trooper talk about the time he was shot in the face and is now blind because of it. He ended up shooting back and hit the bad guy. He said after the first bullet struck him, he just aimed where the muzzle flash was because that's all he could see, and started shooting. That principle kind of hits me with the light on the gun.

Just something else to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by School Cop View Post
                              TLR-1 is issued, so is the Glock 22 and the holster for them.
                              Same here. Everyone is issued a weapon light. All patrol deputies are issued a Safariland ALS or SLS holster so that it can be carried on the weapon at all times. Its not mandatory, but nearly everyone uses them.
                              Originally posted by kontemplerande
                              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7264 users online. 340 members and 6924 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X