Good states for being hired as a Game Warden or State Trooper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good states for being hired as a Game Warden or State Trooper

Hey everyone. I'm interested in finding out more about becoming a Game Warden or State Trooper. I'm 18 and a member of the Army National Guard and about to start community college studying criminal justice. I'm interested in being a Game Warden or a State Trooper and I'm wondering in which states I'd have a better chance of becoming one.

Which western states have the biggest departments and the most need for new applicants. What states out here in the west have the lowest age requirements? Also, if anyone working in one of these positions could give me advice on getting hired and a rundown of their job and how they like it that'd be great. Thank you all for your time and thank you in advance for the replies!

If you're thinking of becoming a Game Warden I would change your topic of study to gear it more towards that instead of criminal justice

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Right now I'm thinking of getting an associate's in Criminal Justice and taking some biology classes and then hopefully switching to Utah State University to get my bachelor's in Wildlife Science.

Comment

don't do drugs, don't get arrested (too much) don't strip mine your credit, don't marry someone who will try and train you to be a housepet. Don't buy anything you cannot pack into a van and leave.

This way, you can apply for anything, anywhere, at anytime, and work seasonal/volunteer type jobs to get in.

M-11
        “All men dream...... But not equally..
        Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
        but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
        for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Can anyone who works in this job tell me what it's like and how they enjoy it? Also how does it compare to being a regular LE officer

Comment

I'm sorry to report that in Alabama, the prospects for either classification are pretty poor. Why? The crappy economy. You know, the one "Barry" and his crew of incompetents in Washington insist is getting better. Here's a case in point. The Alabama Judicial System which administers courts statewide, both District (county) and Circuit Courts, has just announced the lay offs of 250 employees come October. This is in addition to one hundred already laid off. Should hiring in the classifications you mentioned open up once more, the first step would be a written exam. This is probably typical across the nation. Your best bets for now would be to do some research into what states might be hiring. Check into the possibility of interning, or doing seasonal work with your state conservation department. Check to see if the agency which runs Utah State Parks might accept some seasonal Ranger applications. Should you settle on the Game Warden field, you might consider slanting your degree path in that direction. Wish I could be a little more optomistic, but this economy has to get considerably better.

Comment

Can't beat Texas for either occupation.
              "What you do in life, echos in eternity"

Comment

State employees in my home state haven't gotten a raise in years, and won't for at-least 2 more years.

As it is, open positions aren't being filled and layoffs are always a serious reality given the condition of state budgets.

I would not enter state government in my area at this time.

If you want to be a game warden, a major in Conservation Law Enforcement would be useful.
                Last edited by Resq14; 08-16-2011, 03:05 AM.
                sigpic
                A L L G A V E S O M E,  B U T S O M E G A V E A L L

Comment

CA is on a hiring freeze!
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! It seems like state gov is not where anyone wants to be working at this time in a lot of states. I'm looking into doing some volunteer work for the DWR here in Utah to try and network. I've looked into Texas, and that seems like somewhere I'd like since I have so much family down there or maybe my home state of Florida. They always seem to be hiring for the Highway patrol down there, not too sure about game wardens though.

In any case, I had another question. I know most states require game wardens to have a BS in wildlife science or something like that. Now my question is, just how science heavy is the work of a game warden? I always thought it wasn't very until I saw that most states require a bachelor's in a scientific field like wildlife science or biology,etc.

Comment

The requirements for Game Wardens/Wildlife Enforcement Officers varies from state to state. The job itself is a rather specialized area of Law Enforcement. In Alabama, Game Wardens are fully empowered Officers with statewide arrest authority. As far as a degree is concerned, I don't believe Alabama currently requires a degree in order for a person to test for appointment as a Game Warden. As I noted to you earlier, the hiring picture for state law enforcement jobs, or for that matter, any job in the Alabama State Service, is virtually nil. A hiring freeze is in effect, and I have every expectation that it will be a long one.

Comment

Indiana - Conservation Officer (Game Warden) - Absolutely
                        Indiana - State Police - Never in a million! - 2 reasons, pay sux, command staff sux harder <----that's what they tell me anyway
                        This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Originally posted by Utahguard93 View Post
                          I know most states require game wardens to have a BS in wildlife science or something like that. Now my question is, just how science heavy is the work of a game warden? I always thought it wasn't very until I saw that most states require a bachelor's in a scientific field like wildlife science or biology,etc.
                          I don't think this is true... Game wardens basically focus on conservation law enforcement, in addition to regular law enforcement.

The 'average' duties of an 'average' game warden are not science-related... their primary job is to ensure the laws of the state pertaining to hunting/trapping/fishing/woods/inland-waterways type things are obeyed, along with search/rescue/recovery work. There's not a lot of biology, chemistry, or physics involved, unless you move in to some kind of specialized assignment. A biologist with the Department of Conservation would be more likely to need degrees in such things.

Last edited by Resq14; 08-17-2011, 05:28 AM.
                          sigpic
                          A L L G A V E S O M E,  B U T S O M E G A V E A L L

Comment

As a game warden, you won't ever see any weekends off and they're basically always on call. I was really looking into it at one point but I like what I'm doing now as a police officer. I work 12 hour shifts and have every other weekend off. You'd never, ever see that as a game warden. And wardens only get overtime when there's a natural disaster. I get OT every week, literally.

Comment

In NYS we have Environmental Conservation Officers, also known as EnCon Police or DEC Police. They work out of their homes, make their own schedule, and have some of the best weapons and equipment of any agency in the state. The pay isn't that great (I believe that they start in the mid 40s) but they also have no commuting costs and rarely see their bosses. If you get more than 2 hours or so north of NYC, the salary is almost sufficient to not die. They test every 2 years, but I'm not sure that they hire off every list. Additionally, it's hard to get a spot outside of NYC right out of the academy.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4120 users online. 134 members and 3986 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X