300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Emergency Plans

If you don't mind sharing, I would like to ask a question. Considering that in a natural disaster or other emergency you officers would probably be in the middle of it, what types of emergency plans have you made for your families?

FEMA recommends a three day supply of food and water, but that seems a little inadequate when you look at some of the floods, hurricanes, and other disasters that people have dealt with in the last few years.

Thank you.
    There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the moon landing and those that don't.
    http://unistat76.blogspot.com/

The plan is to stay behind me... I'll take care of the rest. : )
    I see dumb people in the mirror.

Comment

Alot of it depends on the emergency. In rural parts of upstate NY, being well stocked for a blizard is pretty standard. We lost power for 6 days this winter. I watched as the town plow truck got stuck sideways on our dead end dirt road, and they needed a front end loader to get it out. We didn't leave home for a few days. Luckily for us our emergency plan was to have food that we could cook on our woodstove or gas grill, plenty of bottled water (not just for consumption, but washing dishes, hands and showers), enough firewood for 2 seasons (even without power my house was 80 degrees), and neighbors that help one another.

Also a healthy supply of G&A never hurts.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I just let my neighbors stock up and I plan on stealing from them :P
        Last edited by Dingo990; 07-31-2011, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
          The plan is to stay behind me... I'll take care of the rest. : )
          Well, if you live anywhere near my part of Michigan, the biggest natural disaster we're likley to face are riots. :|
          There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the moon landing and those that don't.

Comment

Back in Calee...we were always prepared for the big one. Totally prepared. Water, food, shelter, money to last us months. Mountain House has food that has a long shelf life...and they taste good.

Transported the stuff back here....we're ready for whatever mother nature brings us. Something called microbursts....we live in the frekin boonies so whatever it takes to manage!

People laugh at us...but whose house are they coming to when the SHTF???
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Here in So Cal, power isn't really a necessity. It doesn't really get cold enough where a few blankets won't cure the cold. I can live without the computer or TV for a few days.

We've stocked up on food and water, candles and batteries, and are wondering what we'll do if we need vehicle fuel (gasoline). We can't store fuel (more than like 5 gallons) in our houses per city code, if I understand that correctly. So I just make sure the truck is never below 1/2 tank.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Smurfette
              Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
              Originally posted by DAL
              You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

We keep a genourous supply of water in the garage(we call it the Katrina corner)Not overly concerned with flashlights etc.After K ,we had this lil 14kw darlin(natural gas,auto turn on /off etc),installed.

Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

^^^ Yeppers....best investment we've made also!
                  This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
                    We keep a genourous supply of water in the garage(we call it the Katrina corner)Not overly concerned with flashlights etc.After K ,we had this lil 14kw darlin(natural gas,auto turn on /off etc),installed.
                    I was just talking about a setup like this with my dad a while ago. If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost?

Comment

The worst natural disaster I've been through was the 2007 California Wildfires. We were living in Ramona at the time and that was bad.....
                      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by Unistat View Post
                        I was just talking about a setup like this with my dad a while ago. If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost?
                        Our 10K Generac was $3100 for the unit and another $1K for the huge electrical panel.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                          Our 10K Generac was $3100 for the unit and another $1K for the huge electrical panel.
                          Thanks! Probably not something I'm going to do in my current house then.

Comment

You can get smaller ones for about $1300. It all depends on what you want to run when the powers out.

Comment

I have two large inverters.................on 900 watt and one 2000 watt. Both have hookups for battery clamps

900--------------It will run the furnace---TV, coffee pot etc

2000 watt will easily run fridge/freezers/ etc on a rotating basis to keep things cold.

That is of course temporary ---------have to run one of the vehicles to make them run

We lost electricity last week after a wind storm 9pm -430 am. I hooked up the 2000 watt and ran the car for 3 hrs keeping the fan & refrig on. No problem. HELLISH on gas mileage but it worked.
                              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7646 users online. 389 members and 7257 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X