X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ukprisonofficeruk
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2011

UK to USA

Hi my name is Davey and i am 25 and currently living in the UK. I recently come across the LAPD recruiting website it really stood out and seemed maybe something i could look into doing. i was wondering if there is any one out there who could help with any information on these key points

* Do you no of any other British citizens joining your police force ?
    * Immigration to USA
    * British citizen working in the USA as a police officer
    * I have military and prison experience will this help in my application process
    * Way of life- schools,salary,housing

Thank you for taking the time to read my post any help would be great and if you have any questions for me i would be more then happy to answer them.
  • SleepyCop
    The Sgt. is my b*tch!
    • Oct 2009

You'd need to be a citizen of the United States prior to appointment.
    Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
    MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
    Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
    Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
    Various Graduate Credits - UoP
    MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
    DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

• Iowa #1603
      Senior Veteran
      • Aug 2007

Search this site------------there is a lot of information on LAPD here and some good resources are noted for those applying.

There are several LAPD officers on board and can answer specific questions......................but the bottom line is as noted by SleepyCop.................you would need to be a US citizen in order to be appointed an officer in California (and in most states)
      I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• Kieth M.
        When do I grow up?
        • Oct 2005

I was LAPD for 30 years...we had two former London Metro Constables in our ranks.

I've been gone four years, now, you should refer to the LAPD website for current info.
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

• jakflak
          jakflak
          • Jul 2003

I'm not in California, but we have two British officers on our department. Our state doesn't require US citizenship.

Comment

• PhilipCal
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2004

Davey, The great majority of agencies in the U.S. will require U.S. Citizenship. There are some exceptions, but they are rather few and far between. In the past, when a British colleague has inquired, I've suggested looking into Police Services in Canada. Either move (US or Canada) will be a major one. This is especially true if you have a family. With respect to LAPD. In addition to their official website, I'd invite your attention to www.policebackground.net. This is a privately owned site which is specifically geared to assisting applicants for LAPD and answering their questions. Give it a try. Best of luck in all your plans.

Comment

• just joe
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2006

This is strange. Two of us responded to your post earlier but our comments are not here. They are however on my posting history.

Anyway, as stated, most places will equire you to be a citizen. Unless you are living here, I don't see anyone wasting their time trying to recruit someone in England. The long way around the barn might be to get a conditional cert of permanent residency, go in the military for a few years, get your citizenship and then apply. If you want to be an expat, would you have a better chance of getting hired in Canada?

Comment

• SWAT1
                Forum Rookie
                • Jul 2000

Davey,

Hate to burst your bubble mate but it's virtually impossible. If you are not a US Citizen then you have to obtain LPR status first (Legal Permanent resident - Commonly known as a Green Card) There are a number of ways to do this:

Marry a US Citizen, after 3 years of LPR status you can apply for citizenship.
                Obtain a visa that will lead to LPR status, this generally needs a substantial investment and can take years to get your LPR status, once you have LPR you can apply for citizenship after 5 years.
                There are visas for certain people in the Arts etc which are classed as Aliens of Extraordinary Abilty, this will get you LPR status.
                The whole visa thing is a minefield and I've only given you a couple of examples it is extremely difficult to get into the US 'LEGALLY'.

I did 20 years with Scotland Yard in London, I was lucky in as much as I managed to get LPR staus under Alien of Extraordinary Ability due to certain criteria in my background. I applied for citizenship after 6 years and now have dual UK/US Nationality. Even when you apply for Citizenship after 5 years it can still take a further 18 months or so to process it. The whole thing is not cheap.

Sorry for shooting from the hip.
                Best of Luck.
                "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm" - George Orwell

Comment

• BigWil
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2006

I'd recommend looking into Canada as well. It'll be easier dealing with immigrations here, as Canada is looking for immigrants...we have a lot of land and not enough people, especially in rural areas like the prairies. The police agencies in Ontario all allow permanent residents to become police officers, I'm unsure about other agencies.

Also, my wife just recieved permanent resident (or landed immigrant) status in Canada, we did the application ourselves, no lawyers or representatives involved. My sister just got her American green card, and needed to get a lawyer involved...and she married an American. (My wife and brother-in-law were friends, so I shipped her to Canada, and sent my sister down to the US. Canada got a much better deal on that trade )

Comment

• Sleuth
                    Forum Member
                    • Aug 2002

This has been disected at length in the International section of these forums.
                    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

• Manxman
                      Forum Member
                      • Oct 2005

I'd love to make the move. My wife and I looked into moving to South Carolina last year. I guess I'd have to do something other than police work.

Comment

• PhilipCal
                        Forum Member
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Manxman
                        I'd love to make the move. My wife and I looked into moving to South Carolina last year. I guess I'd have to do something other than police work.
                        You would in all likelyhood. Once more, and at the risk of sounding redundent, I suggest you look into Canada. Quite possibly it would be an easier transition for you, profession wise. A major move, as in major decision in any case. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Comment

• SWAT1
                          Forum Rookie
                          • Jul 2000

Manxman,

The problem is you can't just move over here and work, you have to have the correct visa which is a virtual minefield, the only way you can work at anything other than LE is with a Green Card, otherwise you are bound to your visa.
                          "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm" - George Orwell

Comment

• Manxman
                            Forum Member
                            • Oct 2005

Yes, it's a shame. I no longer work full-time for the police and now just hold a warrant as a special constable. I work for a major bank as a lawyer, so there are options there. NY bar is one option (if I wanted to try to work for my current employer in NY).
                            Last edited by Manxman; 07-29-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• SWAT1
                              Forum Rookie
                              • Jul 2000

Yes, absolutely another option, Inter Company transfer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18749 users online. 38 members and 18711 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...