300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to fight back

I had a situation last night that I was wanting some advice on. While I was letting my dogs out to go to the bathroom a guy was walking his dog close by. One of my dogs saw the other dog and ran up to it wanting to play. The guy freaked out and started kicking my dog and throwing his shoes at it. I started yelling at him to stop and he ran up and got into my face and threatening to hurt/kill my dog. This is where my question comes in. I do have a CCW permit along with a gun but I completely avoided even bringing that up because I didnt' want to get in trouble with the law since I'm planning on becoming an officer. I do have mace that my wife carry's when she runs alone. I also didn't want to start a fight because again I didn't want to get in trouble with the law. My question is what would have been the best action I could have taken without getting into too much trouble? I thought I handled it pretty well and just walked away without any further confrontation. Looking back at the situation, I wish I would have done more because I love my dogs, they are like my children and was ****ed when this happened. Any suggestions on how to handle these type of things? Thanks guys.

Put your dog on a leash...

Comment

Yeah we are going to start doing that. One of the disadvantaged of living in condo's. Any advice on how to of handled the situation though?

Comment

Originally posted by natejack12 View Post
        I wish I would have done more because I love my dogs.
        I'll give you some advice. Never do anything out of love for your dogs. Walking away was the right thing to do. If you try to walk away and the guy comes after you, than you can rightfully defend yourself.

Comment

P.S. keep your gun in the hoslter unless you're met with deadly force.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Big Blue. It's nice talking with people who deal with these kinds of situations all the time and know the best way to handle the situation.

Comment

Just that you brought up the fact that you have a ccw shows the flaws in your thought process.

It was your fault for not having your dog on a leash and taking control of what is your responsibility, instead you thought of way's to "protect" by using different forms of force...Immaturity is not a excuse!
              Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

I would definitely agree with you Buffaloboy. When it comes to these situations I am very inexperienced which is probably why I even thought about my CCW during this situation. The more situations I come across like this the more I will learn and mature. Which is why I was coming here for help.
                I take full responsibility for my actions and my dog actions, but not for the guys actions.
                Last edited by natejack12; 06-21-2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
                  Just that you brought up the fact that you have a ccw shows the flaws in your thought process.
                  Good point. How in this scenario does your ccw come into play? Don't get me wrong. I support you having one and even carrying for protection but unless the other guy is showing some way to cause serious injury or death, the ccw is a non-issue.

Now.....back to the dogs. I have two. Anyone trying to harm them will feel my wrath. I understand that. Discretion however is the better part of valor. Leash the dogs and walk away with them. Use profanity upon your exit if you must but don't get physical if it can be avoided. Citizens are obligated to depart a confrontation if able. As said before, the guy keeps after you (physically), you may defend yourself (and to a degree your dogs), appropriately and as a last resort.
                  sigpic
                  Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                  And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

First, like you have said, leash your dog.

Second. if you are seeking advice after the fact on the internet about what you ahould have done when someone got in your face, you obviously do not have much familiarity with violence.

Good on you, but most of our advice will probably not mesh well with your temperment/personality.

What I would do, would probably not work for you.

M-11
                    “All men dream...... But not equally..
                    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Yeah I am very greatful I didn't even mention to the guy I had a gun because I'm sure it would have gotten me into trouble. As stated by Buffaloboy previously it just shows my naivety in these kinds of situations. I guess I just brought up the fact that I thought about bringing up my gun was because of the fact that he got in my face after threatening to kill my dog. The last thing I want to do is to destroy my chances of becoming a LEO so I thank you all for your comments. I'm am very open to criticism as well because that is how I will learn for future events. Thanks.

Comment

What would you have done M-11? I'm actually curious to know after your post! I haven't been in a lot of "fighting" situations in my life. I have gotten in many confrontations while in sports but in my mind those are a lot different. I have never really been big on using violence as a way to get a point across.
                        Last edited by natejack12; 06-21-2011, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I would have shot him. No one throws shoes at me or my dog. you use foul language and i will shoot you in the mouth. Plain and simple.

Being serious, if he took an aggressive stance with me and refused to back down, or caused harm to me or my dog i would use any means to defend myself. after all you tried to walk away and he followed you. You removed yourself from the situation.

Comment

I am larger than average and have an moderately agressive personality. I stop riled up people at arms length, and warn them I do not allow people to threaten me, and they need to calm down now. 99% of the time they take a breath and slow down.

The 1% that start the chest bump/finger to the chest get quickly/harmlessly controlled. When they calm down I give a little release with a shove for distance, and they usually feel a bit silly.

The reason this works for me is because of this.

The vast majority of people in America have never been in a fight, they have done a lot of posturing and bluffing growing up, but most have never hit, or been hit. Because they have never been punched in the face really hard, they put on a big intimidating show, threatening, yelling and freaking out. if you call their bluff, they don't have anywhere to go and usually back off.

People who have been in a lot of fights know it's easy to lose a fight, and they know you can't look at someone and tell if they will beat your *** or not. They VERY rarely will pick a fight, and will usually try to get away from the problem.

There are exceptions of course, and experirnce with people will tell you what to look for.

And in the end, I would not beat someone up over a situation that was my fault. I would not let them hurt me or my stuff/dog, but I'm not breaking someone over my bad social behavior.

M-11
                            “All men dream...... But not equally..
                            Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                            but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                            for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

You walk away. He comes at you and you have to, you fight to defend yourself.

The thought of your firearm shouldn't have even popped into your head unless YOU feared for YOUR life.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12760 users online. 448 members and 12312 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X