Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vest Question

Hi,
    This question is for any & all LEO’s who may be able to provide some information that may be helpful regarding ballistic vests. I am a Law Enforcement Apprentice (similar to L.E. Explorer Program) and I am looking to purchase a ballistic vest to wear on my daily ride-alongs. I have done a lot of reading on the different types of vest features, protection levels, & manufacturers. I have decided to go with a Level II vest made of Kevlar with full side coverage. Also, I believe I want to purchase one of the vests that meets those specifications from Galls, but I am unsure of how reliable the vest would be due to the fact that I cannot find anything on who makes the vests for Galls. The vest I am looking at says that it’s made of a micro-laminated Kevlar fiber construction, but does not say it’s Dupont Kevlar 129. Would that make any real difference? I would appreciate any information that you could provide me about Galls vests.
    Thanks!

they usually contract with companies like point blank. the gall's brand has a really cheap carrier and some even lack a carrier; just covered in nylon.

the level of protection is the same across the board.

Comment

Gall's vests, as do all vests, must meet NIJ standards to be rated as Level I, II, and III. Gall's vests are pretty decent quality, however for a few dollars more you can buy from some other vendors that are lighter and more malleable, which means they conform better to your body. Spectra is another quality bullet resistant fiber currently in use by vest manufacturers. You may wish to look into the G force or Xtreme wear vests as they are thinner, and not quite as hot. In addition there are many places that have an "Adopt a Cop" program (Domino's Pizza had a program for a while) that may assist you in your purchase. Hope this has been of some assistance.
      "A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood." Lt. Gen. George S. Patton

Comment

Hmmmmm..I understand you want to protect yourself, but anything but the cheapest vest are a big investment to make for what you describe as essentially an Explorer position....and a volunteer position at that. Are there no other options available to you such as hand-me-down vests of recent vintage within the agency?

Comment

I agree, they are a big expence if you arent going to use them that much. Are there any police supply shops near you where you can try them on for comfort. If you are anywhere near NY City try the NY Ironworks near china town, they have a great range,.

Comment

I bought a vest from Galls back in 2000 and it was made by Safariland. I would assume that they still make the Galls vests. Personally, I think the Galls vests are a good deal. They are made by a quality manufacturer and offer the same ballistic performance that more expensive vests offer. The only thing you will sacrifice buying a Galls vest is comfort, as more expensive vests are lighter and easier to wear.

Comment

As tcsd points out, they are expensive. However, just how much is your life worth. If there is a near by "cop shop" (uniform store) check with them and see about ordering a vest that is custom fit to your frame. It will cost like hell, but it will be worth it.

DISCLAIMER: If you are young enough that you are still growing, ignore my advice. You will be throwing money away. Otherwise, it's a whole lot better to go ahead an invest in something you will comfortably wear, than to invest almost as much in something that is not comfortable. The more comfortable they are, the more likely you are to wear them every time you go on duty.

As far as Gall's is concerned, I have never had any experience with their vests. But for a mail order house, they seem to be pretty good with customer service.
              6P1 (retired)

Comment

Just make sure the level of protection will stop the rounds from the guns carried by cops at the department you are affiliated with. Sad thing is as a cop you're more likely to be shot with your own gun so make sure your vest can stop it... So if you're riding make sure your partners gun will be stopped by your vest in case of the "worst case scenario"... If you ask the cop you're with sometime, there is a tag on the ballistic panel that indicates the threat level of the vest he's wearing --that's a good starting point. I would also be willing to bet that the property room of your department has vests turned in by cops who have left the department or "grown" out of them. You can probably find one that fits decently without spending cash and you can probably bet it will stop whatever round the department carries...
                I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Comment

Hi Again,
                  I appreciate everyone
                  Stay Safe!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5030 users online. 291 members and 4739 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X