Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:
    Originally posted by kirch:
    What I'm wondering is if anyone has ever written a citation after witnessing something off-duty?

Once. I wouldn't mind doing it more often, but it has to be something serious enough to make it worth my while. The guy I wrote ran a stop sign and almost t-boned me at an intersection.

Comment

test

ttst
      sigpic
      The Web's Source for Law Enforcement
      PM for Technical Support or visit our contact page.

Comment

I tell my officers that when off duty, their job is to observe and report problems. Getting involved while in your personal car is a problem. Best situation would be to call for a unit via radio / telephone and get them to make the stop, write the citation and list you as the witness. This will keep you out of a LOT of trouble.
        Stay Safe
        "A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood." Lt. Gen. George S. Patton

Comment

I rarely stop anyone off duty. I have a take-home car so I have a ability. However, it's gotta be pretty bad for me to want to stop...running a red light infront of me. Otherwise I just "don't notice" it. I've only pulled over 2-3 people in the last year off duty. I have been flagged down twice in the last year also. Not bad since that is my primary mode of transportation while off-duty-free gas

Comment

I wrote a few citations for off-duty violations. I would always mail it to them, though. I did observe a hit and run on my way home from that station, but I followed and reported the direction of travel on portable so the marked units could make the stop.
            Just imagining the insurance hike if you would get in a crash trying to stop a vehicle off-duty is frightening!

Comment

Originally posted by Traffic*Goddess
              Just imagining the insurance hike if you would get in a crash trying to stop a vehicle off-duty is frightening!
              Thats why you get the plate number and work on issuing the ticket when you return to duty.
              The only time I mail tickets is if I have a positive ID on a violator who lives outside the area. Face-to-face is always better, if only to explain the violation they are being cited for and the options available to them in responding to the charges.

Comment

Discretion is the better part of valor. When I was an FTO, I always advised my rookies that when you're off-duty the most dangerous words in the world are "I'm a Police Officer". Short of a robbery or rape in-progress, leave and call 911. My dept. had three officers killed intervening in minor burglaries off-duty in about five years, I knew two of them It's just not worth it.

Comment

I used to be extremely gung-ho, observing stuff while off-duty, then issuing the ticket the next shift I was on duty. I have backed off a lot in the last few years.

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving our family car with my wife and youngest daughter, when a semi and trailer was passing us just as another vehicle was coming the other way on the 2 lane (1 each way) highway. I had to pull off onto the shoulder to let the semi in so there was no collision. I saw the company name on the power unit, and memorized the trailer plate and unit number. Unfortunately, I was still off for another week, then got busy, and the company's head office is located about 100 miles away. The city IS within my patrol area, and I COULD have either mailed the ticket to the local police to serve for me, or I COULD have patrolled there and served it myself, on the manager of the company.

I decided to just phone the company and report what happened, and write up a report, clearing the file otherwise without a charge. The same truck forced a second private car to brake to let it back in while it was passing the car again with on-coming traffic that same night. I was able to memorize the other car's plate, and notified the user of the car that I had seen this happen, and that I had complained about both situations to the company. The car driver was very happy that I had done this.

The company drives through my area regularly, so I have ample opportunity to deal with them in the future, and will DEFINITELY recall the above incident.
                  #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                  Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                  RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                  Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                  "Smile" - no!

Comment

When I was on motors I averaged about a ticket every month or two while I was riding home. Granted this was on a marked police bike but I was essentially off duty.

The only time I've ever written a ticket under different conditions was while I was a motor. I was on my personal motorcycle, a white BMW, in my motor uniform. I was shuttling my bike home after work and had my portable radio on my belt. I was passing this car when I saw the driver lighting up a marijuana pipe. He looked left and saw me, his eyes got as big as saucers, and he quickly shoved the pipe under his seat. I figured I'd see if he pulled over so I motioned for him to pull over and he did. I used my portable to call for cover and ended up citing the guy for possessing weed while driving. He even took me to court but ended up losing his license for a year after being found guilty.
                    If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5085 users online. 312 members and 4773 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X