300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaign Hat?

If your department supplies you with a campaign hat are you allowed to wear it on certain events or is it just up to the officer when he or she would like to wear it on duty?

We had them at my old dept. Had to wear them during traffic related functions (stops, wrecks, school zones, etc) and certain events like off duty football games and graduation. We could wear them at other times on our discretion. I would wear mine when going into places for bs calls or business checks if it was raining. I could usually get away with not wearing it on night shift, so after midnight or 1am, it stayed in the car. Also, had a standing order from the sgt to put it back in the car if the driver came back suspended, had warrants, etc, or if we had a bad feeling. He didn't want someone grabbing it to pull us forward or knocking it over our eyes.
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

We're supposed to wear it all the time. I work nights, so mostly it just rides on my passenger seat. As dontknowwhy said, I wear it when it rains, death notifications, or at accident scenes. Basically anytime I want to "look official" or keep my grape dry. I don't wear it on v&t stops for safety reasons, mostly because I dont want to get shot in the face at night, while trying to hold a flashlight, adjust my lid and keep both eyes on the badguy.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

May wear it at anytime on duty. Must wear it when on Special Details, long term traffic control, formal occassions, inspections.
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Plus if it gets squished, doesn't the thing cost $100 + to replace..

Comment

What everyone on here calls a "campaign" hat, my Force calls a "stetson", even though they are no longer made by that company. Our hat is brown felt with a dark brown smooth leather belt-style band. We are required to wear this hat with our Review Order (ceremonial parade and honour guard) and Walking Out Order (graduation, wedding, formal dress dinners / dances) uniforms, but are also allowed to wear it with our Service Order (general / traffic duty) uniforms for sun protection.
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

My department supplied me with a baseball cap, then changed the policies to state that the authorized hat was the campaign hat. So, I had to buy one. The hat can be worn any time of the day, any time of the year, no matter the weather conditions. If you wear the baseball cap, you are in violation and will be told to take it off.

Admin is very peculiar when it comes to the headgear policy. I never understood why I can wear a ceremonial hat in modern everyday police work or that I could not wear a more weather appropriate hat during the winter. It snows in our county and we can't wear beanies or anything else, just the campaign hat.
              semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
                Admin is very peculiar when it comes to the headgear policy. I never understood why I can wear a ceremonial hat in modern everyday police work or that I could not wear a more weather appropriate hat during the winter. It snows in our county and we can't wear beanies or anything else, just the campaign hat.
                Because the admin types that write stupid policies like this work in an environment where it is always 75 degrees with a 0% chance of precipitation. Chances are that even when they did "work" the road they rarely left the comfortable, climate controlled environment of the station or their cruiser.
                Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
                To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

Hats???

We don't need no stinkin' hats......
                  "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                    May wear it at anytime on duty. Must wear it when on Special Details, long term traffic control, formal occassions, inspections.
                    Same here ( no big surprise since my agency models itself after CHP ), also any time the media is present and especially during TV interviews.
                    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

We have two: spruce green and forest green.

The spruce green is a "must wear" with the Class A uniform worn for special occasions: ceremonies, graduations, funerals, etc.

The forest green goes with the Class B uniform - court, instruction, details, etc. - and is optional with the Class C uniform. Most of our guys wear a ball cap with the Class C.
                      The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

Ah I see thank you for the information I have always liked the look of them but can understand the nuisance of wearing them in some cases. The department I will be working for in a couple of weeks if all goes well issues them and I was always wondering when we could wear them but didn't want to bring it up during the background interview.

Comment

I liked mine. Most of the other folks had absolutely zero idea on how to wear it properly.

None.

Comment

I wish our admin thought that way. It is more, "I'm in charge now, so I get the make the rules" then just being out of touch or lacking the experience.

My main issue is with the fact that we switched official hats several times in a short time period. Most of the Department had to buy two hats (bus driver style AND a campaign hat)
                            semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                              This. I can count the number of times I've worn my in 5 years on one hand.
                              I miss you, Dave.
                              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6137 users online. 317 members and 5820 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X