Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best, worst, situation I could possibly be in.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best, worst, situation I could possibly be in.

I'm sure a lot of people will be ****ed reading this, as many people would likely enjoy being in this situation. But I have an issue. I graduate from the academy (self sponsor) in about 2 weeks and have been in the process with three departments since the academy began. Today, I left the academy and had two voicemails on my phone. One from Dept A and one from Dept B. Both offered me conditionals. I have been in the process with Dept A since January and have been slowly moving through. Dept B had me come in for my Oral Board interview on Friday and called me for a conditional today. Both are excellent departments and I think I would be happy at either one. I'm making a Pro/Con list and trying to figure out which one I want to take. It would be nice if I could take both, ride out the psych and poly and take whichever one offers me the job but, that's not the way it works. Once I take a conditional, everyone else drops me. They back off and I'm pretty much done as far as they're concerned. The only thing I have left for both agencies is my poly and psych. I'm just worried I take my shot with Dept A, and something happens and I end up going from 2 jobs to none. So... my question is this. What have you found to be the most important factors that determine where you work and how much you like it? What should I be looking at in my pro/con list? As of now, I'm looking at

Pay
    Shifts
    Equipment
    Extra/Off duty
    Retirement

What else should I look into? One (Dept A) is County SO, the other (Dept B) is a large City PD (170+ sworn). Any and all suggestions from those who are dealing with departments or who have moved from one to another, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
    I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
    - Mark Twain

Post is deleted
    Last edited by EmmaPeel; 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Post is deleted
      Last edited by EmmaPeel; 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I am sure you have researched each of the agencies....................................

As far as screwing up with Job A and having nothing---------------it is what it is...........you can't go there because that is a defeatist attitude

Think about commute time

Is either department more "family friendly" than the other

Housing should you decide or need to move to that jurisdiction

Look at the chance of advancement in each dept.................check out and see how old the command staff is.....if they retire, someone has to replace them and then there is chances to for everyone else to move up.

Specialty Teams & the requirements for each dept

Since you have been through quite a bit of process with each department, you should have a "feel" for each of them...............which gives you the best warm fuzzy feelin?

Good Luck
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I just was forced with this same decision a month ago. Two excellent departments, both with conditional offers within an hour of each other. Both had great pay and benefits, good equipment, and so forth.

When it came down to it, a big part of my decision was my gut feeling. I liked the location of my current department (close to home), and I had nothing but great experiences with all the officers I was in contact with. I knew I would enjoy working there day in and day out. So I took that offer. The pay is a bit lower than the other department, but that's OK with me.

You can analyze it to death... I'd say go with the one that feels right to you.
          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone... I am plagued with being over-analytical but that has helped me with some things in life.

Iowa:
            As far as Family Friendly, I have seen that both departments are pretty flexible when it comes to that kind of stuff. As for commute time and moving, Dept A is the SO for the county I live in and Dept B is the PD for the city I live in. I wouldn't have to move anywhere and my commute will be about the same or negligible difference.(depends on which precinct I end up in) They both have take home cars. The only difference is that A gives you one after FTO and B doesn't until you are off probation. Advancement options are decent for both as far as I know... perhaps a slightly better chance for Dept A as they are considerably larger.

Part of the draw for Dept A is the size and options. It's the county SO so, there are quite a few options and they have a lot of specialty areas to work. Dept B still has options that I am interested in though so, that is part of my dilemma.

I think the warm and fuzzy thing is what is killing me. I had an internship with Department A while I was finishing my degree. I got to spend a decent amount of time with the department and I think that may be giving an unfair advantage in my leaning toward them. I know a few officers from Dept B and have done a few ride alongs. They were good but didn't quite have the same "warm and fuzzy" as the SO. Not sure if that was my personal comfort level or the department. Hard to say.

The real kicker right now is that Dept B only gives out conditionals for open slots. So, if I accept B, I'm set. Dept A gave me the conditional because they didn't want to lose me to Dept B... I'm not sure if there is a slot for me or if I would have to wait for one to open. I'm trying to get that nailed down first thing tomorrow. I can't leave them hanging for too long.

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far. Any others are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
            I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
            - Mark Twain

Comment

SO = usually equals time in the jail working as a "jailer, DFO, whatever its called" and NOT the street, at least not rigth away

PD = usually going to the streets ASAP

Go with what benefits are the best if nothing else really matters to you....I would choose big city PD, but thats just me
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyDiver View Post
                The real kicker right now is that Dept B only gives out conditionals for open slots. So, if I accept B, I'm set. Dept A gave me the conditional because they didn't want to lose me to Dept B... I'm not sure if there is a slot for me or if I would have to wait for one to open. I'm trying to get that nailed down first thing tomorrow. I can't leave them hanging for too long.

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far. Any others are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
                That changes things-----------------------it becomes a "bird in the hand" decision then!.

If Dept B is holding a slot for you and Dept A is just stringing you along without a slot------------------------

Wow-------------------Dept B is getting my vote based on that paragraph.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Post is deleted
                  Last edited by EmmaPeel; 06-02-2011, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                    SO = usually equals time in the jail working as a "jailer, DFO, whatever its called" and NOT the street, at least not rigth away

PD = usually going to the streets ASAP

Go with what benefits are the best if nothing else really matters to you....I would choose big city PD, but thats just me
                    No working in the jail or driving the jail van required. It's for a Law Enforcement Deputy position. You have to be certified in corrections to work the jail. This would be straight to the road. I like the idea of the PD because it seems to have less politics involved but, the Sheriff is excellent.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    That changes things-----------------------it becomes a "bird in the hand" decision then!.

If Dept B is holding a slot for you and Dept A is just stringing you along without a slot------------------------

Wow-------------------Dept B is getting my vote based on that paragraph.
                    I agree. That's the thing that is holding up the decision. I'm trying to get this remedied first thing tomorrow. I need to know if it's just to string me along or if it's actually a legit job. If it comes down to it, I'll likely take the sure thing because I like Dept B as well.
                    - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyDiver View Post
                      the Sheriff is excellent.
                      But what about the NEXT sheriff? How about this: next time you see a dep you don't know, tell him you just graduated the academy and want his honest opinion on the department. Then do the same with an ofc. You may be surprised.
                      Originally posted by Ceridwen
                      Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

City PD's historically have a better promotional opportunities and more specialized positions to work. An SO youll have more area to cover and less staffing as well. Depending on the dept is the promotional chances.

In my neck of the woods, if someone wants to work specialized units or promote faster, their better served with a city PD. If someone wants to experience the wild west and work a county bigger than some east coast states, on top of gaining twice the experience twice as fast as a big city, county SO is the way to go. My trade off being with the SO though, promotions are far less common and there's precious few units to get into. I'm looking at staying in patrol and working my specialty, whatever I wanna do, alongside my regular patrol expectations, for a good chunk of time.

Me personally, I love working in the county and think I would go batty working in a city. But, being sane is not something I've been accused of being lately.

Comment

Pay
                          Shifts
                          Equipment
                          Extra/Off duty
                          Retirement
                          These things are all important, but don't matter if you don't like the job after a year.

Pick the place you WANT to work. Enjoying your job is worth a lot in the long run.

M-11
                          “All men dream...... But not equally..
                          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

One other consideration is that County Agencies are "usually" far more political than a City PD.

May or may not be the case here.

-V

Comment

To harp on M-11's post: trust your gut.

Where do you "feel" yourself being?
                              “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5976 users online. 306 members and 5670 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X