300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevalence of dash-cams.

Sorry to waste a thread on this, but I wanted to clarify something so I thought I'd go to the source. I got in an argument online and said that it is more common than not that all police cruisers are outfitted with dash-cams. Is this correct? The person I'm debating says that in his town of over 100,000 people, none of the police cruisers carry dash cams. Am I crazy? Or do the majority of police cars have dashboard cameras?
    -2Adam29... 10-8. Code-7

Hard to say, some departments have them, some don't...........Most are migrating to having them, but the cost is one of the underlying reasons some do not have them............So to settle your argument, it is a truce both of you are right.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by DACP View Post
      Hard to say, some departments have them, some don't...........Most are migrating to having them, but the cost is one of the underlying reasons some do not have them............So to settle your argument, it is a truce both of you are right.
      Exactly, there are plenty of departments out there without dashcams. They are getting more and more rare, but they exist.

For example, I don't think I've ever seen a dashcam video from NYPD. Maybe they exist and the department doesn't release video, but I'm assuming the department just doesn't have dashcams in most cruisers.

Comment

Thanks for the response guys! I appreciate it.
        -2Adam29... 10-8. Code-7

Comment

My department has about 4,000 sworn. We have no dash cams in any cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
            Exactly, there are plenty of departments out there without dashcams. They are getting more and more rare, but they exist.

For example, I don't think I've ever seen a dashcam video from NYPD. Maybe they exist and the department doesn't release video, but I'm assuming the department just doesn't have dashcams in most cruisers.
            You assume correct. In the NYPD, only Highway cars have them. The county (borders NYC) I work for that has 1.6 million people and 2500 Sworn Officers is the same way, only Highway cars.

Comment

my department is nearly 1,000 sworn, no dash cams....too expensive to maintain equipment and the amount of data

Comment

I think you would be more accurate to state that the trend is that more agencies are equipping their units with dash cams and that dash comes, in time, will become a natural part of law enforcement vehicles. In fact, the future shows that personal cams may become an accepted part of a LEO uniform. As they become smaller and easier to use, along with reasonable costs of purchase, maintenance and replacement, they become a viable tool for agencies to use.
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by amw315 View Post
                  my department is nearly 1,000 sworn, no dash cams....too expensive to maintain equipment and the amount of data
                  The amount of storage you would need is incomprehensible, we have 20 cars, each with a camera, and each camera holds 60 gigs of data. Storage is a huge problem with us, just not enough room…….I cannot fathom how much storage you would need to accomplish that, Christ it would be a full IT department running 24/7 to manage it all.
                  It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

We have no operable dash cams. We did a test run with this system http://www.taser.com/products/law-en...er-axon-system but that trial ended and I dont know if well ever get it due to the cost and the cost of the huge amount of storage.

Comment

Originally posted by DACP View Post
                      The amount of storage you would need is incomprehensible, we have 20 cars, each with a camera, and each camera holds 60 gigs of data. Storage is a huge problem with us, just not enough room…….I cannot fathom how much storage you would need to accomplish that, Christ it would be a full IT department running 24/7 to manage it all.

Most of the systems download automatically when the cars drive into the parking lot at the station...(especially when set up for large departments)......and are archived on dedicated servers used only for the dashcam data. Server hard drives are really cheap & once set up for automatic uploading ---it really doesn't take much service from the human.

Any department with over 100 or so sworn will already have an IT department (or the city/county will) to take care of the problem.

Those departments will probably also have a policy for erasing data after a certain amount of time.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Not a single car in our entire county has them and thats hundreds of cars. I think its a southern thing or rural thing

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3135 users online. 208 members and 2927 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X