300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of sheer curiosty...

I was driving to the bank this morning before work, and passed by a local car wash. The workers hand dry the vehicles out front of the business. Stopped at the light, singing along to Jason Aldean, I look right and lo and behold there is a CHP unit being towel-dried. All four doors open, three guys drying her off. Long gun in the rack in the center console (if I was seeing it and not something else- I was looking through/across another car haha). Officer no where in sight.

Is this a normal procedure/ somewhat normal occurrence for many departments? I figured that the CHP of all departments would have their own squad car washes to avoid 1) paying and avoid 2) opening their vehicles up to Mr. I-wash-cars-for-$8-an-hour to go through. I know a lot of larger departments do (and utilize inmate labor!!). Then there's the fact that the long gun is in the vehicle.

Just curious.
    Katherine

I can't speak for other agencies, but in large metropolitan areas CHP units pick up enough road film and dirt to warrant being washed about twice a week. Because they have so many patrol cars, they usually enter into a deal with a local car wash and get a considerable break in price for bulk purchases. In the long run, it is cheaper than maintaining an in house wash rack and hiring extra auto techs just to clean cars.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

What L-1 said. I work for a campus PD and wash my car every other day because it gets so nasty from all the trails and stuff. As for the weapon, it was most likely in a weapons rack that only cops, or even only that officer, knows how to open.
      Originally posted by Ceridwen
      Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

We use Inmate workers here, CHP and other agencies can and do use our wash bay on occasion.
        sigpic
        Any and all statements made by this account represent my sole opinion and do not reflect an official opinion, belief, or policy of any department or agency to which I am employed by. Further, I am in no way authorized to speak on behalf of any department or agency.

Comment

We go to one of several car washes in town.

Comment

We have contracts with a couple car washes and with several Shell stations. Most of us just use the Shell drive-through car washes to save time.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

We have a garage, hose, brush and soap bucket. Works for us, but if we want to be lazy we can use a drive through wash in town. The downside to the drive thru is it damages the lenses on our light bars over time.

Covman

Comment

Yup, trustys do a decent job washing our cars for a low price The department I worked for prior used the car wash. We had several we could go to across the county, twice a week. We renewed the contract once a year with each car wash.
                sigpic
                Originally posted by Smurfette
                Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                Originally posted by DAL
                You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Varied, as I was expecting. It is understandable that the road grime would build quickly, therefore they would obviously need a quicker/easier soluton than hand washing.

Thanks!

Eta: L-1 it would make perfect sense that they would contract to this car wash as well... Less than a mile away from the nearest CHP office.
                  Last edited by Status Check; 05-29-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Do ya'll ever use the drive-thru car washes? Wouldn't the rollers and stuff bend the antennas?

Comment

The antennas come off rather easy to avoid telling vehicle maintenance why somethings bent.

Comment

Any of you ever get a hot call while sitting in the middle of an auto-wash? Hate to have to skip that clearcoat rinse and dry!

Comment

Originally posted by Henderson View Post
                          Any of you ever get a hot call while sitting in the middle of an auto-wash? Hate to have to skip that clearcoat rinse and dry!
                          Dispatch knows Im out of service so they wont send any calls if Im at the wash.

To the OP.....As far as the long gun.....I wont go into details but it is not readily useable when my car is in someone elses hands.

Comment

The antennae don't get damaged. The rollers are not solid, but brushes with thousands of bristles. The bristles flex, as do the antennae, so there is no problem.
                            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

One advantage of doing both police and firefighting is having firehall personnel available to wash vehicles towards the end of each shift.
                              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4187 users online. 260 members and 3927 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X