Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .....in the meantime..

Hey Guys,
    I searched through the forums to try and find answers but couldn't find any, so sorry if this has already been covered. I finished up my degree a few weeks ago and am in the process of sending out several applications to different departments. I was just wondering if you guys could give me advice on different things I could do to build up my qualifications. I'm referring to like service, or different training classes to take, certifications to try and obtain, etc. Just things that would help my chances of standing out. I would really appreciate it if you guys could let me know what would be beneficial. Thanks!!

Originally posted by natejack12 View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I searched through the forums to try and find answers but couldn't find any, so sorry if this has already been covered. I finished up my degree a few weeks ago and am in the process of sending out several applications to different departments. I was just wondering if you guys could give me advice on different things I could do to build up my qualifications. I'm referring to like service, or different training classes to take, certifications to try and obtain, etc. Just things that would help my chances of standing out. I would really appreciate it if you guys could let me know what would be beneficial. Thanks!!
    Try searching again.

Comment

Originally posted by natejack12 View Post
      Hey Guys,
      Take a look at FEMA, there are some free online certification training modules you can do for things First Responder training for Law Enforcement. Those certificates do look good and you can get college credit for them.
      GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Thanks Giostormusnret

Comment

Nate, don't want to rain on your parade, nor do I wish to seem dismissive of your question. In any attempt to be hired as a Police Officer, the very first, and most important thing you'll have to do, is test well. This is especially true if you enter a Civil Service process. As a rule, a score in the mid to high nineties will be required for you to advance in the process as have a realistic chance of being hired. Sincere best of luck in all your efforts.

Comment

Good point. I actually took my first entrance exam last week in Texas and scored a 78. I was happy that I passed the first entrance exam I've taken but from what you have stated my score is nowhere near where it should be. Do you have any advice on how to score better on the exam? Thanks Phil

Comment

A Google search might be of some help to you. Back in the day...when I was preparing for my exams, I used ARCO Publications books to help me. As I recall, there where books for State Trooper, City Police Officer, Corrections Officer, etc. I believe that these publications are still available.They, or a similar study guide should assist you considerably in preparing for an exam.

Comment

Nate:

Depends entirely on the agency you are looking to get into. If you're looking at local law enforcement in a civil service environment where progression in the application process is based on a test... study that. There are plenty of civil service test preps out there. If your place in the process is going to be based entirely off a civil service test... all the courses in the world aren't going to do very much for you if you can't do well on the test.

If you work for an agency that hires based on other criteria (in mine, I only had to pass civil service... it wasn't used to determine my place in the process), taking courses that look good on a resume or application packet may help. That said.. BEWARE what you take. When it comes to tactics, your agency is going to want to train you... THEIR way. Taking tactical or other specific courses, IMHO, will only make you harder to train. Save these outside classes for after you become part of an agency and want some additional training to supplement what your agency gives you.

Now... things like interviewing and interrogation or report writing might look good on a resume, and more importantly - be helpful if and when you actually get on. I see a lot of Officers who write poorly and conduct interviews based off pre-conceived notions they learned from TV about interviewing/interrogation. Most of those courses will be more geared towards the investigator.. but I find them particularly useful on street level investigations too.

Best of luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6299 users online. 345 members and 5954 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X