300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutsie, innocuous nicknames for burglars and robbers

Hi everyone - I'm not a police officer, but just left a job I had for 10 years that required frequent close contact with the PD and/or chief and trust on both sides, and also involved a few ride-alongs over the years.
    I've always had respect for LEOs, but having so much more insight on what you have to deal with in all aspects of your job, I'd now call it enormous respect that will never go away.

There is no but, although, however, or even an albeit! Just a question, and I promise in advance not to get butt-hurt and/or argue repeatedly with your answers.

Why do police use the cute, innocuous, bandit-themed nicknames when a serial robber and/or burglar is on the loose? It seems that it not only encourages the scum to continue and escalate his or her actions, but also inspires copycats equally starved for attention.

What's wrong with using names like the Needled**k Bandit, or the Dumb As A Sack Of Hammers Bandit, or the Kick Me In The Crotch Really Hard Bandit?

And please forgive me if it's usually the media who nicknames them; I have heard reporters say, "...whom police have dubbed the So-and-So Bandit..." but obviously that doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate.

Thanks for your time with this, thanks millions of times more for all you do out there, and please, stay safe!
    "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
    ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

I think it is the media that use "cute, innocuos" type names to label serial criminals.

Police use "accurate" terms such as shi*head and ******bag to label serial criminals.

Comment

There is a thread on this topic already. You may want to search for it; there were some good ones posted.
      This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Originally posted by MargeGunderson View Post
        Why do police use the cute, innocuous, bandit-themed nicknames when a serial robber and/or burglar is on the loose?
        I've never once heard a police officer refer to a serial criminal by using "cute" or "innocuous" nicknames. The media does it all the time. As mentioned, we use a little more less friendly names for such people.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Thanks very much for the responses, and for the lead to other posts on this topic. And Officer Carfan, your choices are much better than mine! Since I understand you have to remain professional in public, I'll just enjoy substituting them in my mind when I see you interviewed in the future.
          "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
          ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

We don't do that, the media does. It's far more interesting and likely to get someone to read your article when you call someone "the subway bandit" or "the midnight burglar" than it is to call them what we call them, "The suspect."

Comment

We had a guy in LA that was torching soda machines and grabbing the cash. Our detectives called him the Soda Jerk. That didn't go over too well with the dept admin. They thought the word jerk was demeaning.
              God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4614 users online. 278 members and 4336 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X