Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I used Lsd at 16, Will this ruin my LEO chances?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used Lsd at 16, Will this ruin my LEO chances?

I'm your average teen who made a couple mistakes, not a druggy, and all around those who meet me typically say I'm an alright guy. I did Lsd when I was 16 cause well, I was young and adventerous but more so stupid. I wanted to be a cop my senior year in high school and am currently in my second year of college for law enforcement. I never thought about prior drug use keeping me from the job I want to do, never was really into drugs. I smoked a couple times throughout highschool at social events I'd say less than 13 maybe 14. ( When I say smoked I mean like one hit and that was it). I've also never been drunk, I guess that doesn't matter since it's legal. Anyways I'm 18 about to turn 19 and I havent touched anything illegal since I turned 17 and I wised up and really grew up alot.

I've never been in trouble (of any kind), never failed a class in my life, and have really cut ties with anyone I know who really engages in an illegal activity like smoking weed or drinking underage. Law enforcement is really my dream job. I still don't know if I want to be a LEO, maybe go into something in the Federal line, or just work at a prison.

But I've been on here recently, I read threads about the drug use knocking people out of what they want to do. I did some research and found that most have a 5 year prior rule, or a no drugs after 21. I'm still young and have years before I can ever apply but this has honestly really killed my hopes.

Not too many things interest me like Law Enforcement, I'd love to have a respectable job, that pays decent, and is something that I think I would enjoy. I guess it sounds lame, but I want to feel like I"m doing some good, but also have that kind of atmosphere where my family can feel safe, I always felt protected when I was young since both my parents were in the military, and I want that for my kids and wife. ( Not married yet, but have a long time girlfriend just waiting till we're older).

I used Lsd twice within two weeks at that age, that was it, no other hard drugs/hallucinogens, I was young it was dumb. But I'm still young, and really full of ambition. Will I still be able to do what I want in the line of Law Enforcement? If not could I work in a prison system or something like that?

I figured by the time I was 21, I'll have quite a bit of college under my belt, by the time I'm 22 it'll have been at least 5 years since I have done anything drugs ( The LSD twice, and one toke of weed a couple times througout High School, was never once high). I understand that over the internet you can't reallly read a person. But if I show up, am honest about everything, prove that those were really mistakes and really come off as a good individual and have a good background, no trouble with anything with the time between when that happened and those qualities are my chances of getting to do something I want still good?

If not how long would I have to wait? I mean my dad was a marine, my mother was in the navy, I want to have a job that's respectable like those. But I don't want to be in the military.

Knowingly ingesting LSD twice in your life even as a 16 yr old is pushing the limits of most departments.

Smoking marijuana -13-14 times in your life is pushing the limits of many larger departments.

I normally quote the policy of the Iowa Department of Public Safety (Iowa State Troopers/DCI/DEA/ Fire Marshal) as policy that is similar to many State Police Departments & many large departments.

Realize that the below "standards" quote the MAXIMUM tolerances they will accept, not what the current job market/competition allows them to accept.

Read the statements below................carefully and just realize that in many jurisdictions the use of LSD is a felony.---But at the minimum you would have to be 26 before the Iowa DPS would consider you.......................

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/pr...ications.shtml
    GOOD MORAL CHARACTER:

An applicant must be of good moral character, which means that he or she can be trusted and is considered by those who know him/her to be a person of good reputation and good standing in the community.

When conduct is of a nature, that, if known, would tend to discredit the applicant as a peace officer, the applicant will not be employed.

The character of a person is determined by past behavior. Many factors are relevant in this assessment. The Department seeks applicants whose histories show good judgment, maturity, a sense of responsibility, and the respect of others. Several factors will be considered:

Conviction or commission of a felony (as defined by Iowa law) will disqualify an applicant.

Conviction or commission of an aggravated misdemeanor (as defined by Iowa law), less than 5 years ago will disqualify an applicant. Conviction or commission of an aggravated misdemeanor more than 5 years ago will be evaluated.

Conviction or commission of a serious misdemeanor (as defined by Iowa law), less than 2 years ago will disqualify an applicant. Conviction or commission of a serious misdemeanor more than 2 years ago will be evaluated.

Conviction of domestic assault, child abuse, or other conviction resulting from domestic or child abuse will disqualify an applicant.

A consistent pattern of unexplained failures to meet debt obligations will be evaluated.

An applicant who gives false or misleading information to the Department at any time during the application process may be disqualified.

History of excessive use of alcohol will be evaluated.

Unlawful sale of ANY controlled substance will disqualify an applicant.

An applicant who has used any illegal drug while employed in any law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or while employed in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust, will be found unsuitable for employment.

An applicant who is discovered to have misrepresented his/her drug history in completing the application will be found unsuitable for employment.

An applicant who has used any illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991), other than marijuana, within the last ten years or more than five times in one's life will be found unsuitable for employment.

An applicant who has used marijuana within the past two years, or used marijuana more than a total of 15 times in one's life will be found unsuitable for employment.

To determine whether you meet the Department's drug policy, please answer the following questions:

Have you used marijuana at all within the last two years?

Have you used marijuana more than a total of 15 times in your life?

Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) at all in the past 10 years?

Have you used an other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) more than a total of five times in your life?

Have you ever sold any illegal drug for profit?

Have you ever used an illegal drug (no matter how many times or how long ago) while in a law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust?

If you answered YES to any of the above six questions, you are immediately disqualified and should NOT apply for a peace officer position with the Department of Public Safety.

Other conduct not specified will be evaluated
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

LSD is an auto-DQ for many departments due to delayed side-effects it can have.

Unfortunately, your answer is going to be "it depends." Its definitely a pretty big hill to climb.
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I just read here that for the ATF it's 10 years. But the Pot policy had me confused? http://www.atf.gov/careers/drug-policy.html
        The 13-14 was a rough esitmate, as I never really counted. But it only happened very very very seldom. So it's likely to be between 7-14, But I don't know the exact number. What would I say in the interview or poly test? And what's the experimental limit I read on there, but it had no number?

I read what you posted, and it saw within the last ten years. So when I'm 27 I'd be fine? And I know it was twice, but it was within a short period of time. Also read that 15 was the max for lifetime of weed.

So I take it that's one of the more strict departments? And that when I was 27 I could get the job I wanted by those standards? And the reason I say 7-14, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to lying. As in I can't, without feeling extreme guilt so I try to give a range..
        Last edited by Jlordy; 05-25-2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

And I also just read that the CIA is any illegal drug with the past 12 months, https://www.cia.gov/careers/faq/index.html#gr4.
          This makes me feel a little bit better.. Can you guys throw me some advise to help my chances? What things I could do. I'm going to do at least 6 years of college, I'm skilled with a firearm, what else could I do?

Comment

Originally posted by Jlordy View Post
            I read what you posted, and it saw within the last ten years. So when I'm 27 I'd be fine? And I know it was twice, but it was within a short period of time. Also read that 15 was the max for lifetime of weed.

So I take it that's one of the more strict departments? And that when I was 27 I could get the job I wanted by those standards? And the reason I say 7-14, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to lying. As in I can't, without feeling extreme guilt so I try to give a range..

No , that is not what is meant. It means that you would be considered. You would also be just barely meeting the standards.. PRETTY much anyone with a better history would most likely be picked up before you would.

No the Iowa DPS isn't by far one of the strictest departments-----------it is really just an average example.

I am sure you can find hundreds of departments that will list behaviors they will consider.............and many with drug usage policies that "meet your requirements"-----------------but getting actually hired by those department will be dependent on your competition

Most of that competition will have a history of absolutely NO drug history, perfect criminal/traffic history, & have not used any hallucinogenic drugs whatsoever.

And I also just read that the CIA is any illegal drug with the past 12 months, https://www.cia.gov/careers/faq/index.html#gr4.
            This makes me feel a little bit better.. Can you guys throw me some advise to help my chances? What things I could do. I'm going to do at least 6 years of college, I'm skilled with a firearm, what else could I do?
            Go back in time and don't smoke marijuana or do LSD.

Also the CIA is not a Law Enforcement Agency.

I will AGAIN state that your history really pushes the limits of acceptability for most larger agencies..
            Last edited by Iowa #1603; 05-25-2011, 05:31 PM.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

I understand that, no need to get frustrated with me. I was just worried. I'm just trying to find information out. I understand I made some bad choices, I accept and live with that. That however does not mean I won't do anything I can to achieve what I want, and if being a bit over asking annoys you I'm sorry about that, I'm not trying to be annoying. I really want to find a nice job that I could enjoy with my LE degree. But I'm seeing I can do things like game warden and other jobs like that. I really do appreciate the help though Iowa, it's helped me understand my chances more.

Comment

Don't bother applying to Phoenix....your use of LSD is an auto DQ....most big time depts will probably be the same...you'll never get hired with a history of LSD usage...you can justify it all you want by saying it was only twice and in a short period of time but it won't matter just one hit and your toast for many depts...period

Comment

I understand that, no need to get frustrated with me.
                  What makes you think anyone is frustrated.

I really want to find a nice job that I could enjoy with my LE degree. But I'm seeing I can do things like game warden and other jobs like that. I really do appreciate the help though Iowa, it's helped me understand my chances more.
                  Once again a "game warden" is many times a LEO......................and many places yo will be subjected to the same limitations due to your past.

Sometimes there is no "fixing" of something that happened in the past. Your use of LSD will limit you in many places. That is going to be a fact of life. Your use of marijuana pushes the limits of "experimentation"

Good luck.............................you have a VERY steep climb ahead of you getting into Law Enforcement of any kind.

Comment

All I can say is I would not want a Officer suffering a flashback from LSD being my packup on any call....... take it for what it is worth

Comment

I'll explain this very simply,

It's not going to happen PERIOD. Look into another field of employment.
                      Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Originally posted by FormerTeacher View Post
                        All I can say is I would not want a Officer suffering a flashback from LSD being my packup on any call....... take it for what it is worth
                        Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
                        I'll explain this very simply,

It's not going to happen PERIOD. Look into another field of employment.
                        I dont take enjoyment in crushing dreams but yea, you are probably going to have to look elsewhere for employment. Not only is it going to be probably an auto-dq in most places, but what these two said is exactly what I thought when I looked at the title of this thread.

Sorry but that's the way it is. Best of luck.
                        Stay safe out there

"Cancel that central, its a moose"

Comment

Find another career. Most agencies aren't going to touch you with that kind of drug history (including Game Wardens, because in most states they are classified as peace/police officers). You should've thought about this before popping acid.
                          Last edited by reils49; 05-25-2011, 07:41 PM.
                          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I'm going to make this as simple as I can. The use of LSD even once, is a DQ with just about any agency in the country. You admit to a two time use. My Agency would DQ you. It's really difficult for me to make that any plainer. You can argue, you can rationalize, you can minimize, but you simply are not going to be hired. You're the latest in a long line of posters who state they've always wanted to be cops, but then totally blow their chances right out of the water with one, or in your case, two bad choices. I've no doubt this is not the answer you desired to hear. It is however, a true reply, posted in good faith. All too often, prospective applicants make the error of thinking that a series of pluses. as in good works can offset a bad choice. In some cases it's possible, in your case not so.

Comment

It will limit very severely the departments you will be hirable. It is going to come down to what state and what department you live in.

I'm not going to say its not going to happen, but you have a mountain to climb. Think Kilamanjaro.
                              I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5754 users online. 339 members and 5415 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X