300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Health Care for LOE

I'm a psychotherapist who, for the past 3 years, has the priveledge to work with LOE from all different agencies, local, county and Federal regarding any 918, 914 and any other mental health related calls. I deeply appreciate the efforts and works that LOE provides to the community. As in any field, there will be a few bad apples that can damage the credibility, image and public relation with their respective departments. Also, similar to other public service professions, LE works can produce intense stress and negatively effect LEO personal and family mental health. In my work with LE, I have some opportunity to provide some brief therapy to some officers who were able to disclose their mental health challenges due to the line of work. I realize that in the LE culture, it's important to put up a strong/ tough/ bad image mentally more so than physically so that the officer won't be stepped upon or looked down upon by his peers/ department.

I wonder if there is any LEO who is willing to share his/her personal challenges and successes managing their mental health challenges.

Statistically, LEO have a higher rate of alcohol use/ abuse/ dependency, higher divorce rate and shorter life span after retirement. I believe your sharing will help many other LEO, as well as those considering the LE career. In addition, the public can gain a better understanding of how to help LEO in their community.

Look forward to your responses.

Whats the name of the book you're writing?
    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

This one isn't going to receive a warm welcome....just thinking out loud.

And first post to boot!
      This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

First off, for an educated person your proofreading stinks. WTF is an LOE???? It appears in your title and then several times at the beginning of your post (aka, this wasn't a one-time typo). Then you switch to LEO, an abbreviation we're much more familiar with.

Don't use codes when you post on this forum. We all don't live and work where you do, and thus, our codes are different. In fact, my state doesn't use codes at all, so I have no idea what a 914 or 918 is.

Lastly, as others have said, you're not going to be well received here. Every college student, book author, screen play author, etc. comes here asking the same questions, and they all get blasted.
        MAC

Comment

Originally posted by Personhood Therapy View Post
          I wonder if there is any LEO who is willing to share his/her personal challenges and successes managing their mental health challenges.

Statistically, LEO have a higher rate of alcohol use/ abuse/ dependency, higher divorce rate and shorter life span after retirement. I believe your sharing will help many other LEO, as well as those considering the LE career. In addition, the public can gain a better understanding of how to help LEO in their community.

I've attempted suicide 11 times. I drink every day, especially on duty. I have 2 ex-wives, 1 ex-boy friend and two current girl friends. I cheat on them every week. I hope to live at least 6 months after I retire.

My "little oval erection" or LOE is a sensitive subject and I reather not talk about it. I will tell you that I went 10-32 on a 10-96 then we went to 10-19 for 10-55. It was awesome! Anywho, after writing this post I'm feeling more depressed than usual. When you take into consideration that I'm drunk too, I'm thinking it's not going to be a very good day.

I got to go call my shrink, talk to ya lata!

Comment

I'm a psychotherapist who, for the past 3 years, has the priveledge to work with LOE from all different agencies,
            If that is a true statement , you are nuts for coming on to this forum and expecting answers from LEO's who have no "relationship" with you.

Someone with your "credentials" would know that it just isn't going to happen.

MOST LEO's that I know are extremely hesitant to talk about their fears/problems with someone who isn't either a close friend or who they have a professional relationship with.

Don't' expect a lot of help here.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
              I've attempted suicide 11 times. I drink every day, especially on duty. I have 2 ex-wives, 1 ex-boy friend and two current girl friends. I cheat on them every week. I hope to live at least 6 months after I retire.

My "little oval erection" or LOE is a sensitive subject and I reather not talk about it. I will tell you that I went 10-32 on a 10-96 then we went to 10-19 for 10-55. It was awesome! Anywho, after writing this post I'm feeling more depressed than usual. When you take into consideration that I'm drunk too, I'm thinking it's not going to be a very good day.

I got to go call my shrink, talk to ya lata!
              Not bad Michigan, if you had included trucks, trains and rain you would have a good start on a Country Western song!

No idea of what a LOE is or a 914, 918
              "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Great way to gain insight into the 'typical" LEO, via a online LE forum....meh.
                Why not dive in and begin a real study using an entire department somewhere?

Personally, as a 17 year LEO:

I have seen people get shot, I have shot someone.
                I have held a dead four year old boy (murdered by his father by a kick to the stomach over an interruption of Dad's of Super Nintendo game).
                I have done CPR on several dead infants.
                I have been spit on, pizzed on, bled on, and had feces smeared on me. I have worked hundreds of suicides, so many that I would guess between 400-500. I have no pity for them - just the ones they leave behind.

I get by on gallows humor, and the support of my fellow, well- adjusted officers. To the public, we would seem a bit strange, cold, and sarcastic, but I truly believe we (LEO's) are better adjusted than 90% of the non-LEO people.

//just sayin'.
                SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

I have bad dreams and I poop a lot.....

Comment

Originally posted by BigW View Post
                    If you talk to a psychotherapist, (s)he may be able to teach you how to enjoy it...

It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                    Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

+1 on the gallows humor. LOL

To the OP, a better route may be to conduct some "boots on the ground" research rather than asking on a public forum. The issues revolve around trust, which is hard-gained online. There are several emerging researchers in the field of law enforcement related mental health, who have researched hundreds of cases, and have logged thousands of hours of clinical time on this issue. Academia may be a more efficient road to travel.

Comment

Originally posted by BigW View Post
                        Here ya go:
                        http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...APPENED-TO-YOU

How YOU doin???
                        SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                        SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Sadly enough I'm so childish that I quoted Beavis and Butthead. Yes I know........

Comment

I'm a psychotherapist who, for the past 3 years, has the priveledge to work with LOE from all different agencies, local, county and Federal regarding any 918, 914 and any other mental health related calls. I deeply appreciate the efforts and works that LOE provides to the community. As in any field, there will be a few bad apples that can damage the credibility, image and public relation with their respective departments. Also, similar to other public service professions, LE works can produce intense stress and negatively effect LEO personal and family mental health. In my work with LE, I have some opportunity to provide some brief therapy to some officers who were able to disclose their mental health challenges due to the line of work. I realize that in the LE culture, it's important to put up a strong/ tough/ bad image mentally more so than physically so that the officer won't be stepped upon or looked down upon by his peers/ department.

Well, Paul, you and Jenny should know by now that LEO's are not exactly a sharing bunch with people they don't know and trust.

Don't be offended if we don't share too much here.
                            Originally posted by kontemplerande
                            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I share this stuff with my dog and my friend jack. Have you ever seen Jesse Stone?
                              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3428 users online. 227 members and 3201 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X