300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are there any laws you have to enforce but wish you didnt

im just wondering are their any laws that you have to enforce but don't really agree with
    or do you just think the law is the law and its all the same to you

Purely personal inflection here but you were sworn to uphold the law. In a professional capacity you must execute your duties without regard to personal feelings or bias; be it towards the law or law breaker. Off duty and removed from your job, you have the ability to lobby for change in the venues available to you. Never though should the two worlds cross.

While it is perfectly normal to feel consternation at times over an event that cuts into your soul or belief system, in order to be an effective professional, you must remain detached and clinical. This does not mean that you don’t feel, but that such feelings must take a second seat to your duty.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
      Purely personal inflection here but you were sworn to uphold the law. In a professional capacity you must execute your duties without regard to personal feelings or bias; be it towards the law or law breaker. Off duty and removed from your job, you have the ability to lobby for change in the venues available to you. Never though should the two worlds cross.

While it is perfectly normal to feel consternation at times over an event that cuts into your soul or belief system, in order to be an effective professional, you must remain detached and clinical. This does not mean that you don’t feel, but that such feelings must take a second seat to your duty.
      That sir, is awesome!

That being said, the best part of not being a roadie is NOT having to enforce minor speeding violations.
      SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
      SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

That is what you call articulation!!!

Comment

We have a law that you can't smoke with kids in the car. I think that's going too far. Of course, I haven't written more than two tickets in the past year, so it's not like I have to enforce it! My two tickets? Passing a stopped school bus. That one motivates me. So I'm torn when it comes to kids. Sue me

Comment

Last edited by Smackzone116; 07-20-2016, 04:10 PM.

Comment

When I was a state liquor agent, they made us write tickets for drinking in public (on Sundays before 12 noon - it was technically illegal). I hated that; someone minding their own business, drinking a beer in a park at 11:30 am would get a ticket.
              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

I've had to make chicks put their bikini tops on on an MWR beach. They thought they were far enough away from the crowd.

Bummer...

M-11
                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

I'm a negotiator (crisis/hostage) and I had a difficult time w/ the people demonstrating at a clinic that does abortions......but as stated above, the law is the law and if they did not disperse, time to go to jail.

P.S. too funny Gold Badge
                  Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                    When I was a state liquor agent, they made us write tickets for drinking in public (on Sundays before 12 noon - it was technically illegal). I hated that; someone minding their own business, drinking a beer in a park at 11:30 am would get a ticket.
                    Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                    I've had to make chicks put their bikini tops on on an MWR beach. They thought they were far enough away from the crowd.

Bummer...

M-11
                    I guess you two are officially uninvited to the reils49 summer bash
                    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I haven't written over ten speeding tickets in my three years....to me it isn't speeding unless it's getting dangerous for the conditions.

Also, I've developed to not like to write for a suspended license. But it depends on the situation. Most people have a suspended license because they're poor. They get a few no insurance tickets and another moving violation and they're suspended. Well, they keep getting tickets for being suspended and that's another fine(s) on top of their surcharges (expensive). It puts poor people who are trying to get legal further into a bind.

If you're out at 0200 hours, out clubbing, driving drunk or up to no good, you'll get dealt with accordingly when it comes to your suspended license. If you're coming home from work and have had a few tickets for it, I'm not going to put you further into debt. Each instance is a case by case basis.

Comment

Originally posted by LawFowl View Post
                        Also, I've developed to not like to write for a suspended license. But it depends on the situation. Most people have a suspended license because they're poor. They get a few no insurance tickets and another moving violation and they're suspended. Well, they keep getting tickets for being suspended and that's another fine(s) on top of their surcharges (expensive). It puts poor people who are trying to get legal further into a bind.
                        I have no tolerance for suspended drivers. If I have to pay to have a license, registration and insurance.....so does everyone else. And when I catch you....oh well, heres your paper and a hook for your car.
                        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by LawFowl View Post
                          I haven't written over ten speeding tickets in my three years....to me it isn't speeding unless it's getting dangerous for the conditions.

If you're out at 0200 hours, out clubbing, driving drunk or up to no good, you'll get dealt with accordingly when it comes to your suspended license. If you're coming home from work and have had a few tickets for it, I'm not going to put you further into debt. Each instance is a case by case basis.
                          I will not speak negatively about how another LEO chooses to enforce in their jurisdiction, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Driving is a priviledge and not a right. If a driver keeps getting no insurance tickets then they should not be on the road. I do not want that uninsured person hitting me. That poor person could choose another mode of transportation instead of knowingly breaking the law. 1 in 5 fatal collisions involve unlicensed/suspended drivers and my personal belief is if I stop someone in that category I am not going to send them on their merry way hoping they arent going to be one of those statistics. Just my .02

Comment

I really think it should be legal to shoot stupid people. Try as I might, my legislature just won't budge on that one.
                            Originally posted by kontemplerande
                            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                              I have no tolerance for suspended drivers. If I have to pay to have a license, registration and insurance.....so does everyone else. And when I catch you....oh well, heres your paper and a hook for your car.
                              You would have to be a complete jerk for me to write suspended license around here. 509-1 (unlicensed operation) and I leave. The law states knowingly drives with a suspended license and the judges flush just about all of them if the driver says they didnt know so its not worth the time or paperwork to write it. Ill add it if im already arresting them say for DWI or at a MVA. I really dont like any crime where an age is the sole or main deciding factor in the crime.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3739 users online. 245 members and 3494 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X