300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty Carry. . . Is This Normal

I was looking through our department's SOPs and GOs last night. I ran across a bit of information that I thought was unusual. All officers (sworn or otherwise) must register their off duty carry gun with the department.

The information to be registered shall include the make, model, serial number, caliber, barell length, and capacity. You must also have your weapon inspected by the armorer. The armorer will inspect the weapon for mechanial "fitness." They armorer will also inspect to ensure that the barell length, capacity, and caliber all meet minimum standards. After the armorer finishes the officer must fire both the day and low light qualification courses.

If the carry gun's caliber differs from the officer's duty gun the armorer will supply a list of acceptable ammo in that caliber. If the caliber is the same as the officer's duty weapon he will be issued a set amount of ammo to carry in his weapon.

Is that the way most department's handle off duty carry?
    W.W.S.D
    What Would Serpico Do?

Most, but not all agencies have such a policy. While I have only seen it applied to sworn staff who may be required to carry off-duty, such a policy is the general norm.

This covers several bases: ensures the weapon is one on the approval list (prevents you from packing a junk firearm), ensures the weapon works, ensures you carry appropriate ammo, can shoot it and covers any other potential concerns.

Some agencies even mandate manner of carry/holsters approved for use.
    Last edited by sgt jon; 05-23-2011, 07:37 AM.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Same with mine.

Comment

Many departments require that you qualify with any weapons you are going to carry "on your badge".

While the policy might be worded differently, that basically means the department will know what weapons you will be carrying, along with all the same information you listed. Some departments will only let you carry certain types and brands of weapons.
        Many departments want their weapons instructors /armorers to inspect the weapons to make sure you are not carrying a "Saturday Night Special"
        All of the above can be articulated by the department as "due to liability concerns"
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

That is a CYA policy for your agency. Since you are able to CCW off-duty, they want to make certain you are no carrying something that will be controversial if you are involved in an OIS. For example: they would probably frown on your use of a MAC10 autopistol. Quite a common procedure.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Yep. Nothing unusual.

Comment

as stated pretty normal. Alot of departments mine included go as far as to tell you what you can carry off duty. The up side is that they service my off duty if I have any problems with it. Like has been said its just CYA so they can make sure the city knows what their officers carrying.

Comment

Just to add to what the others have said, if you become involved in an off duty deadly force incident involving your firearm, more than likely you are going to claim you were doing so in your official capacity as a police officer.

In most states, the law requires an employing government agency to provide its employees with legal representation in connection with any civil or criminal matters that arise out of the scope and course of their duties. Similarly, the employing agency is usually required to pay for most civil judgments that arise out of something an employee does during the course and scope of their duties.

With this in mind, your department has enacted this policy to ensure you are armed with a weapon and ammunition they have researched, that you are qualified to use and that they feel comfortable defending the use of in a civil suit.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

That's very similar to my department's policy.
                  MAC

Comment

Same as the others; we also require a spent casing and bullet fired from your off duty/back-up weapon.
                    It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                    Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

Yeah, same with us. We also have an SOP that forbids us from carrying our duty weapon out of state, so we must carry our off duty.
                      Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Same with us. This is our policy that enables our dept and it's lawyers to assist if you have to use your firearm off duty. We also have to shoot our post course and qualify with the off duty weapon (they supply the ammo)
                        Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Originally posted by MikeNice View Post
                          Is that the way most department's handle off duty carry?
                          Pretty much the same here. Almost verbatim in fact.

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
                          Some agencies even mandate manner of carry/holsters approved for use.
                          We have a policy that forbids horizontal shoulder holsters. Everything else is pretty much fair game.
                          Originally posted by kontemplerande
                          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

No, most of that only applies to us in regards to a backup weapon carried on duty. None of it applies to us with off duty concealed carry weapons.

Comment

Yup, pretty much. We are mandated certain calibers, plus an armorers inspection of our weapon and an annual day/night qualification course. We are also limited to two off-duty guns. We also have to supply our own ammo.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3156 users online. 165 members and 2991 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X