300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Applicant With Facebook Question

I'm currently an applicant with a Texas police department, take the civil service exam in early June and am wondering if it would be a good idea to delete my facebook before any background check phase. It has nothing that I feel would be damaging to myself but with so many cops in the last few months being fired over posts on their facebook I'm beginning to wonder if something on their could be seen or taken the wrong way.

Lastly, I feel outright deletion would look suspicious. Like I'm trying to hide something. What is my best option?

Thanks for your time and stay safe

If you have pictures of you beer bonging beers, and things of that nature.. Delete it or Delete the Pics. Last agency I tested with made each applicant open their facebook pages with their BI and go through all of their photos. Use your noggin on this one.. You should know the answer to this question.
    "The handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them awhile."

Comment

Think of it this way---------------------would you let your grandmother view your Facebook site.

If you would be comfortable doing that, you should have no problem with a BI.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Nothing wrong with deleting it if you don't use or want it... Facebook blocks most web crawlers, but there is a possibility some of your archived information remains out in the wild. It'd be better to simply not post anything that would tarnish your credibility to begin with.

There is nothing wrong with having social networking pages.. just exercise common sense. If they get the best of you and you keep forgetting what you post there IS public, you might be better off doing away with it. Making last minute changes isn't really going to affect your background investigation... (i.e. if you do drugs, have beer pong champion photos all over your facebook page, and got fired from your job because you cursed out your manager.... being nice at work, deleting your facebook page, and laying off the weed 2 weeks before the thing starts isn't going to help). NOTE: Not saying ANY of this applies to YOU.. just putting your question in proper context. I'd personally do what I've always done before you knew you were going to be the subject of a background investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
          I have a Facebook account, but even though my page is pretty restricted, I post as though I know what's going up may appear on the cover of the NY Times.
          That should serve as a guideline.
          I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

100% spot on advice. Remember, once on the Internet, forever on the Internet. This is something I wish they taught in school starting at grade 1. Too often cops and other public figures have taken it on the chin because of a post they thought was funny at the time but later came back to haunt them.

I have deleted "friends" after they continued to post things that not only I objected to, but thinks that someone looking in may also. Remember that your online identity is one that will follow you FOREVER. Despite deletion, some content will exist forever and if a question as to your associations, character or otherwise is called up; there are folks who get paid very well to find this information.

Remember; you are a public figure and while you have the 1st Amenment just like everyone else, they are not subject to the same prying and question as you.
            Originally posted by SSD
            It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I deleted mine before applying. I was asked if I had any myspace or facebook pages, and I told them no, and that I had deleted them after college. No further inquiries were made.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I'll go through all my photos and friends and even then still might delete the account. I appreciate all the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by amw315 View Post
                  I deleted mine before applying. I was asked if I had any myspace or facebook pages, and I told them no, and that I had deleted them after college. No further inquiries were made.
                  Remember, once on the Internet, forever on the Internet. Despite deletion, some content will exist forever and if a question as to your associations, character or otherwise is called up; there are folks who get paid very well to find this information.
                  Originally posted by SSD
                  It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                  Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                  And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
                    Remember, once on the Internet, forever on the Internet. Despite deletion, some content will exist forever and if a question as to your associations, character or otherwise is called up; there are folks who get paid very well to find this information.
                    All it takes is a letter along with the release of information that the applicant will sign as part of the application process.... like you said....once on the internet, always on the internet

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                      That should serve as a guideline.
                      My Mom is on mine..... So, I post accordingly and tell others that they should do the same.....especially if they are looking to get into a professional field like LE/Nursing/Teaching/etc......

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
                        thank you for your concern, but I'm not worried. i didn't delete it because there was stuff on there that would disqualify me, but because I didn't want anyone posting anything or associating me with anything in the future that might disqualify me

Comment

Hey guys when they make you log into your fb, do you sit in the room with them to check? And do they check the Facebook messages or something as well? Just asking to make sure, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kmei44 View Post
                            Hey guys when they make you log into your fb, do you sit in the room with them to check? And do they check the Facebook messages or something as well? Just asking to make sure, thanks!
                            depends on the investigator
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Kmei44 View Post
                              Can you start a new thread, instead of digging up one from 2011?

Let the dead rest in peace.
                              You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3543 users online. 237 members and 3306 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X