300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depends on department?

So, I have a question. In one of my CJ classes we were talking about hallucinogens and how if you use them on a regular basis you're pretty much done with a career in LE. Some kid in my class then asked the teacher something along the lines of, "I have a friend who took 'shrooms' once when he was 16, but he's not 100% sure they were real. Does that affect his chances?" Basically what he said was, "I did this, am I good or not?" Well, my teacher (a former police Sgt.) told him, "well, it really depends on the department, and whether or not they actually believe you."

I was just wondering, does it really depend on the department in terms of drug use? And do they really take into consideration if you said you weren't sure if it was the actual drug you took, or if it was fake? I wanna say no to the second part, but I'm not sure on the first part. Any answer would be great.
    Press hard, you're making 4 copies.

Most agencies will accept a one time, experimentation of illicit drugs; except for hard core, felony use narcotices. Especially in the formative (teen) years. Anything after that, it is questionable.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

+1

use of 'shrooms' is pushing the envelope.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks for the response CHP.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        +1

use of 'shrooms' is pushing the envelope.
        That's what I thought. 'Cause I remember being told by a different teacher that the 'shrooms' were usually a no go for applicants. To each his own, I suppose? Haha.
        Press hard, you're making 4 copies.

Comment

I will say, shroom use once when 16 is probably not an absolute killer. But it is a big black mark.

We had a guy in my academy class (who was later hired on at a medium sized department in 2006) that used LSD several times (he said 3-5) when he was a teen.

However he had about 15 years separation from that time, excellent employment history, active in his church, community ect. So it can be overcome, but it is hard.
          Last edited by Dingo990; 05-22-2011, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Yes it will depend on both the department and the state. I have filled out an application that has asked "have you ever tried any hallucinogen, whether or not you believed it to be real or fake at the time of ingestion, within your lifetime?" So, yes there are places out there that will want to know if you believed if the drug was real or fake. How they use the answer in a determination for employment consideration is beyond me.

Comment

If he was native American they COULDN'T use it against him---it's used in religious ceremony & therefore can't be used against him based on religious discrimination. Realistiacally speaking though, why hire someone who used drugs when I can find someone who hasn't?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                Yes it will depend on both the department and the state. I have filled out an application that has asked "have you ever tried any hallucinogen, whether or not you believed it to be real or fake at the time of ingestion, within your lifetime?" So, yes there are places out there that will want to know if you believed if the drug was real or fake. How they use the answer in a determination for employment consideration is beyond me.
                If you re-read that question, you'll find that they DON'T care whether or not you believed it was real or fake; that's the reason for that specific wording. The question basically boils down to "Have you used? (regardless of whether you believed it was real or fake)".

-V

Comment

As long as he doesn't mention schnazberries in the interview, he'll probably be alright.

Comment

I'll admit I'm no expert when it comes to LSD and other hallucinogenic drugs. However, aren't these drugs linked to flashbacks, etc?

Couldn't there be some liability for the department there? I wouldn't like the idea of my partner having used LSD several times and having a flashback on the job.....

I may be way off base with my understanding of how LSD flashbacks work though. Fortunately, it's not something I have first hand knowledge of.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
                      If he was native American they COULDN'T use it against him---it's used in religious ceremony & therefore can't be used against him based on religious discrimination. Realistiacally speaking though, why hire someone who used drugs when I can find someone who hasn't?
                      I think that would be peyote........

But w/ the job market the way it is and the competition being so fierce, I think it's very realistic that those with a borderline (harder drugs) drug history will have a very difficult time getting hired.
                      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3111 users online. 170 members and 2941 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X