Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any cities that actually help the police?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any cities that actually help the police?

After a marathon of first 48 episodes on netflix, it became clear that the whole "no snitching" policy is the number one obstacle in solving crimes so it got me thinking. Are there any cities that actually assist police in solving crimes or is the anti-snitching idea ingrained everywhere in the country? I ask because I will be applying to departments soon and I think the lack of support would get rather frustrating. Thanks and stay safe
    Last edited by futurecop28; 05-21-2011, 01:03 AM.

I think it's possible that you believe the anti-snitch attitude is all pervasive. It isn't. Make no mistake about it, it's there, and it's widely practiced. OTH, informers, aka snitches abound. Sammy Gravanno rolled over on John Gotti. True, that was a high profile case, but a snitch will always be a snitch. Realizing this, some of the more successful cops actively solicit and develope snitches. Your decision to apply to a LE agency should not be affected by the issue of snitches, or the pervasive views of any given aspect of the community. These attitudes, these views, these outlooks, often vary significantly within the confines of any given city.

Comment

They all rat each other out. Especially when I worked Narcs. The whole silent things is played right up to the point where they have something to lose. Its mostly an act. Now if you dont have anything on them, of course they arent going to rat out their buddies just to be cool with the cops. Who would? But the second you have handcuffs on them, its "Hey bossman, Can we talk?"
      ive worked with informants who were friends with the people they were now rolling on. And they werent even in custody. They offered the info on their own. Many times I would ask what the deal was. The usual response was something like, "I have my reasons. Do you want the info or not." Usually it was bad business deal where the informant got hosed and now he's going to put his "friend" out of business.
      Then you have people working off arrests. This was common also. Hook a guy for some dope. he makes a deal with the DA to work off cases.
      Then you have paid informants who are doing it purely for the $$$.
      Last edited by FlyingPig1; 05-21-2011, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPig1 View Post
        They all rat each other out.
        The problem isn't enough snitching, its that there's TOO much snitching. Sometimes you've got to have the dirt bags make appointments because there isn't enough time in the day to get to all of them.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
          The problem isn't enough snitching, its that there's TOO much snitching. Sometimes you've got to have the dirt bags make appointments because there isn't enough time in the day to get to all of them.
          Or just come in, take a number, sit down and wait.

Comment

FC28,

I agree with my colleagues reference the snitching. They all snitch to help themselves out and then get on the street and claim no knowledge. It's just the game. In reference to the First 48 (love the show, btw). What you're seeing are homicides, which are understandably one of the most serious of offenses. You have to try to see the other side of things. Those they want information from are those that live in the community the crime occurred. In essence, Officers are asking them to give up information that results in arrest and successful prosecution. Those people fear retaliation and yes, they're justified to believe so. Suspects are freed, get out on bail, and have family members (gang associates, etc) that are more than willing to harm the witness that would be needed to testify. You have to remember that 'we' go home to our houses at the end of the shift...they live there in the community. Can you understand how they (witnesses) might fear for their safety and the safety of their family members...especially if the suspect is a larger player in the criminal game in the community? Yes, it's frustrating...it's also a fact of life they have to live with.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

That is why I love my town. I have people lined up with information calling me before I even arrive on scene. The difference is the fact that I live in a small town where almost everyone loves the police. They all want a chance to talk to me and "help in the investigation." Everyone here believes that if they provide solid info that I will tell them the dirty little secrets of the case later. I usually don't but I do slide them some info that isn't guarded (or will be revealed at a later date to the public) as a reward for their help on occasion to make them feel special.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2798 users online. 159 members and 2639 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X