Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No drug use a year prior to application here, and you're good. That said, the fact is, anywhere you go you'll be competing (believe it or not) with guys who NEVER did any sort of drug which most PDs will find preferable. I'm not making a judgment here, just stating facts and the fact is there is no reason a PD can/should hire a former drug user when they can hire someone who wasn't. The problem comes up when you go to Court to testify or someone, the media for example, may probe into into your background.
    May I also add a CJ degree isn't ,IMO, the best thing. Assuming for a second here you do get hired somewhere the possibility does exist you'd get injured & your career cut short. You'd then have a degree that narrows your options waaay too much. Major in something more versitile so you'd be an asset to any employer not just a PD.
    All that said, I'd still apply but plan on putting in ALOT of applications, particularly to small depts. as often their hiring standards aren't quite as high as other, larger agencies........

Comment

disagree with you on the college for all law enforcement. i have met and worked with HS graduates with more common sense then ones who have the highest degree! one thing on this forum i do not do to people is bully them. seems like a lot of educated people like to do so this! do we not raise kids not to bully or should we start with the adults! and again this is not my job i have to deal with reading or how i write! this is freedom of speech internet.. u do not like what i write.. don't read it! there are many comments on here, i choice not to read or make a comment.. my choice!!

Comment

Originally posted by deputymel View Post
        disagree with you on the college for all law enforcement. i have met and worked with HS graduates with more common sense then ones who have the highest degree! one thing on this forum i do not do to people is bully them. seems like a lot of educated people like to do so this! do we not raise kids not to bully or should we start with the adults! and again this is not my job i have to deal with reading or how i write! this is freedom of speech internet.. u do not like what i write.. don't read it! there are many comments on here, i choice not to read or make a comment.. my choice!!
        Never said he HAD to get a degree. The OP seems comitted to going to college, so I was just making a suggestion as to how to insure future employment should something go wrong. I agree--college isn't mandatory but it does help....I.E. transfers, promotion, extra pay, etc....

Comment

Mel, your writing just proved my point.
          Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

you can prove it over and over dear.. i just type and go! thanks for all your help, will think of you every time i type away! not!

Comment

you can prove it over and over dear.. i just type and go! thanks for all your help, will think of you every time i type away! not!
              Great mentality there. Keep proving me right, it puts a smile on my face.

Comment

same back sweet heart!!!!

Comment

You should be ok, just don't do it anymore and keep your nose clean from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
                    Great mentality there. Keep proving me right, it puts a smile on my face.
                    Or make you feel superior? His point was that a college degree doesn't make you a better cop right out of the shoot. Maybe when you want to promote or be a detective. I finished mine after becoming a cop. All it did for me was give me a raise. I have seen the educated and not-so-educated mess up or do well. That was his point.
                    Last edited by That Guy; 05-22-2011, 04:43 PM.
                    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
                      Or make you feel superior? His point was that a college degree doesn't make you a better cop right out of the shoot. Maybe when you want to promote or be a detective. I finished mine after becoming a cop. All it did for me was give me a raise. I have seen the educated and not-so-educated mess up or do well. That was his point.
                      It wasn't to make you a better cop. It does however make you a better and more educated individual in society.

Comment

############
                        Last edited by 1jq512; 04-27-2020, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
                          Why are you answering in the "Ask A Cop" section?

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...-To-Posts-Here
                          Because I'm a cop. Perhaps the title is misleading? Maybe I read too much into the "Ask a Cop".

Comment

Originally posted by herbie1110 View Post
                            Because I'm a cop. Perhaps the title is misleading? Maybe I read too much into the "Ask a Cop".
                            The reason you were asked is because there are specific questions in your Forum Profile "Are you in an LE position? Are you a sworn LEO?" and you answered no to them. If you are truly a sworn cop, you need to change your profile as that's what they look at when banning non-cops for posting in here.

-V

Comment

Originally posted by 1jq512 View Post
                              Thats what i was thinking because I'm starting college in the fall i gotta decide my major. I hear about cops with career ending injuries. I was thinking about majoring in education and possibly even getting a masters degree. But I could alwayJs go to law school with a CJ degree. My brothers a lawyer and he loves it. I appreciate your help hemicop
                              You don't need a CJ degree to go to law school. My sister was a teacher & went into law--best thing she ever did, she says.........

Comment

############
                                Last edited by 1jq512; 04-27-2020, 05:10 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4229 users online. 281 members and 3948 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X