300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
    You can have ALL that and a bag of chips and still not get hired. There are a lot of factors that are out of the applicants control. This is why many folks who are officers already are sometimes not picked up by other agencies. As an FTO I have seen truck drivers, college kids, military folks, security guards, mechanics, and just people who have worked jobs since HS make it, and I have seen those with stellar backgrounds and perfect upbringings fail miserably. Your last statement is truth. Many depts. don't ask about things you have done before the age of 18, some do. This is why you have to stop now. Also State standards maybe more/less forgiving then individual agencies.
    "Also state standards maybe more/less forgiving than individual agencies". State POST s/similar agencies set a minimum standard at which an applicant may be hired. Individual agencies can and often do, set standards which exceed the minimums estalished by the state. This is perfectly permissible. Agencies cannot waive, or deviate from, or set a standard lower than the minimum determined by the state. I have no doubt that you're aware of that, but your phrasing could be interpreted the wrong way.

Comment

I know, I'm not supposed to post in here, but the kid doesn't seem to allow PMs. Plus I'm hardly on here anymore anyway, so a ban won't matter much.

I smoked a little weed when I was in college. Probably at least 20 times. And I have been DQed from departments because of that, but I did get hired at a dept, and I'm 1/3 of the way through the academy. If you keep your nose clean through college (which won't be easy), I think you stand a good chance of getting hired somewhere. You may just have to put out more applications, maybe even move across the country and not get hired at your top choice. Also, think about doing things that will make you stand out against other applicants. Try to find a law enforcement internship or something. Also, maybe work in a non-LEO job for a few years after you graduate college just to show you can hold down a job like a responsible adult.

No one on this forum can tell you whether or not you'll get hired. There's too many variables, and there's too big a difference between 18 years old and 22 years old or older. So I say press on toward your goal. It can't hurt.
      "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
        I know, I'm not supposed to post in here, but the kid doesn't seem to allow PMs. Plus I'm hardly on here anymore anyway, so a ban won't matter much.
        Someone is still quite immature and has problems with their thought process. FTO is going to be unkind to you.
        Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

I worked with a guy in Narcs who always testified as an expert in MJ cases. Once he was testifying in a case and the Defense asked him to list his experience with marijuana. He went through the usual cop hero-sheet stuff. Number of Search Warrants, arrests, and under the influence arrests. The Defense asked him what training or experience qualified him to determine if someone was under the influence of marijuana. He responded, "When I was in High School I probably smoked half of Humbolt County. So I know a pot head when I see one." Even the judge couldn't stop laughing.
          I wouldnt worry about it to much. It doesnt help by any means, but I wouldnt write off a career in LE because of it.
          If Agency XX has an issue with it. Move on to another one. Your background investigation will take a lot of things into consideration.
          Others mentioned things in other posts like competition. There are a lot of people applying for very few slots.
          Last edited by FlyingPig1; 05-21-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Post # 47 makes some valid points. He asserts that he smoked Marijuana some twenty times, and has been hired as an Officer. I'm not here to dispute that. What I am here to state is that his situation is the exception rather than the rule. I stated the OP would be DQ'd by my agency. Why? Simply because that is the policy of my Department. That policy is also typical of many, if not most agencies. The poster makes a very valid point when he states that no one on this forum can state whether the OP will be hired or not. It's equally true that poster#47 cannot say whether or not he will be hired. Some time ago it was very validly stated that this forum did not speak for any specific agency. Again, very true. What we can do, what we attempt to do, is offer valid view points. These perspectives are often based on years of experience, and more often than not, from officer who have been involved in hiring processes. These officers have often served as Background investigators, Oral Board members, or in some cases, agency heads who do actual hiring. What we're able to do is arrive at a pretty accurate, always honest concensus concerning a given applicant' chances in a process. This applicant is facing a very uphill battle. That is the simple truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              Nah===========I don't fight a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
              I have no wits to war with ROFL

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                I have no doubt that you're aware of that, but your phrasing could be interpreted the wrong way.
                Thanks for clearing that up and yes you are correct. My dept's standards are more restrictive then the State's.
                Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post

I smoked a little weed when I was in college. Probably at least 20 times. And I have been DQed from departments because of that, but I did get hired at a dept, and I'm 1/3 of the way through the academy.
                  You say you got hired on somewhere. Wouldn't that mean you CAN post in here? Just sayin...
                  "Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster...for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." Friedrich Neitzsche

Comment

Originally posted by skyjumperman View Post
                    You say you got hired on somewhere. Wouldn't that mean you CAN post in here? Just sayin...
                    He's in his academy and not yet certified to tell folks they gotta go with him to jail. His time will come.

Comment

i didn't read the comments on this thread but had to say .. really.. drug history... cop.. really.. you should of added.. if i am a hooker, or oh if i am a state inmate.. or if i am a thug.. no clown you wont be a cop! why don't you work at a center helping people with drug issues! think about it! then trying to become a cop and ruin the good hard working men and woman a bad name! it only takes one to take down a deparmtment! you can have 20 great cops, but peoplewill only remember that police department for the one cop who was retard!

Comment

Originally posted by deputymel View Post
                        i didn't read the comments on this thread but had to say .. really.. drug history... cop.. really.. you should of added.. if i am a hooker, or oh if i am a state inmate.. or if i am a thug.. no clown you wont be a cop! why don't you work at a center helping people with drug issues! think about it! then trying to become a cop and ruin the good hard working men and woman a bad name! it only takes one to take down a deparmtment! you can have 20 great cops, but peoplewill only remember that police department for the one cop who was retard!
                        Uhm, what, uhm, huh?

Can someone translate?

-V

Comment

be quite.. i just went off on this! read the title and went from there!

Comment

be quite.. i just went off on this! read the title and went from there!
                            Breathe man, no need to get flustered on the intarwebz
                            "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                            I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

yeah.. i hear you! just sometimes people put really stupid funny things on this and i should read the untire thing, but i just read thread and went from there! oh well. this female finally calmed down!

Comment

yeah.. I hear you! Just sometimes people put really stupid funny things on this and i should read the untire thing, but i just read thread and went from there! Oh well. This female finally calmed down!
                                lol.

-v

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3234 users online. 179 members and 3055 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X