300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Question

I have had two ACL reconstruction surgeries and I am wondering if this would be a hindrance for me getting hired at a PD or SO. Both times I tore my ACL I did so playing basketball, and I no longer play for just this reason. I can do the PT tests just fine but I'm just curious if anyone has run into this in the past.

I imagine the answers may vary some by department, but im just wondering in a more general sense.

Thanks
    "You don't got to be Stonewall Jackson to know you don't want to fight in a basement." Lt. Aldo Raine

As you already noted, this will likely vary according to department. As a general rule of thumb, before you take any pre-selection physical agility or screening evolutions, you will need to be cleared by your personal Physician. This usually involves having your Doc review the scope of the testing and certify if you are able to safely participate.

A hindrance? Who knows. If you can get cleared to take the test and pass it, you are just as likely to be hired as anyone else. A potential concern otherwise? Read the following:

One concern you may weigh is a propensity to suffer a particular injury during physical activity. I have elected to change my role due to this very reason. If you know your knee can give out at any given time, you may want to think about the potential for serious consequences should you be involved in a physical confrontation or chase. This is in no way, shape or form intended to dissuade you from perusing a career in law enforcement; just a sincere proffer.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I don't foresee any problems with me taking the PT tests as I have taken them on my own and did pretty well.

From talking to my doctor after my second surgery he said I could be back playing basketball in 9 months if I really wanted to. I just dont want to risk further injury and jeoardize my future careers. From what I was told by my doctor, the most likely way for me to injure it is playing full speed basketball games. Being in situations where im getting hit in the air and coming down awkwardly, etc.

That doesn't take into account physical altercations with suspects and things of that nature, but I havent had any problems with it since my last surgery (a little over a year ago) and I work out and run on in monday through friday. I'll admit I don't get into fights very often but my "injured" leg seems just as strong as my other one.
      "You don't got to be Stonewall Jackson to know you don't want to fight in a basement." Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

As long as you are fully capable of performing the full duties of a Police Officer, the Americans with Disabilities Act makes it illegal for an Agency to deny you.

You may have to prove in civil court that you are capable of performing the full duties, but I really don't see this going that far unless there is serious medical documentation on your legs which would indicate a viable inhibition in doing this job.

That said, it's doubtful an Agency will specify that they didn't hire you because of your knees (they know about the ADA as well), and more likely they will simply pass you over for a "more suitable candidate" if they have an issue with this.

I can tell you that what will be on their mind is having to provide disability benefits if you blow your knee out again on the job.

-V

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6243 users online. 332 members and 5911 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X