300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle option?

I'm working toward a career in law enforcement. I'm also hoping to one day join the swat team.

in pursuit of this I have been working out, and training myself with firearms. also i have been doing my part to diffuse hostile situations at work and even help solve arguements to help my communication skills.

This isn't a very important question but I just want to ask.

In my years of gun shooting I found there is one rifle I am most comfortable with using. the rifle fits me perfectly and I'm more accurate with it than any stoner designed rifles.

In my state most if not all county LEO's have an AR-15/AR-10 for the line of duty.

I was wondering if this rifle is exchangeable for a personal rifle or if LEO's had to use the issued rifle.

Your putting the cart in front of the horse.
    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

What he said and it depends on the agency.

Comment

*facepalm*

Comment

[Double Facepalm]

-V

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop
            Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

ask the agency to which you wish to apply
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

OK what the other officers here are trying to say but havent...You need to be certified as a LEO way before you worry about the SWAT team. Anything you need to learn about rifles and accuracy will be taught to you. "Self training is ok for routine accuracy practice but for advanced stuff seek professional training.

And IMO if a dept issues an AR rifle you will be required to use it. If you are allowed to run a personal rifle it will most probably have to be chosen from an approved list.

Dont train to be Superman way before you get the cape.

Comment

Let's begin at the beginning. It's been mentioned, but it's worth repeating. The first thing you have to do is be hired by an Agency. As a rule, you'll wait anywhere up to three years before even being allowed to request assignment to a SWAT or Tactical Team. With my Agency, assignment to the Trooper Tactical Team, requires at least three year's service, and is a collateral duty assignment. That means that you do Tactical Team duties, including training, in addition to your normal assignment. With respect to the rifle you'll use. You will use, train, and qualify, with the rifle the Department specifies, and issues. Finally, I'm not certain what type of "hostile situations" you're referring to at work, but I'd caution you against becoming too proactive in this area. Chill out, stay cool, and apply at an agency which interests you. I totally agree with the previous advice concerning Superman's cape.

Comment

im referring to trying to diffuse situations before they become a problem. like coworkers fighting over small things in a fast paced job can slow us all down.

im not trying to be superman but would like the cape(thats a joke)

i understand what yall are saying. my family members that where once on a swat team used their own rifles and shotguns so i was wondering if this was the same for LEO's like county PD and even local. i see now that it just depends on the department.

i also know about the wait for joining SWAT.

i didnt mean for it to sound like i was going to jump right in and try for SWAT on the first day.

however, one of the overall goals that i have is to become a member of the SWAT team.

this was a case of curiosity got me in a flak storm lol.

thanks for the advice and even the slaps(lol)

yall take it easy.

Comment

Originally posted by justincpowell View Post
                      im I'm referring to trying to diffuse situation's before they become a problem. , like coworkers fighting over small things . In a fast paced job it can slow us all down.

im I'm not trying to be superman, but would like the cape(thats that's a joke)

i I understand what yall yall is not a word are saying. my family members that where once on a swat team used their own rifles and shotguns. I was wondering if this was the same for LEO's like county, PD and even local. i I see now that it just depends on the department.

i I also know about the wait for joining SWAT.

i I didnt didn't mean to sound like i was going to jump right in and try for SWAT on the first day. But you did sound like that and like you are trying to be Supercop already. We call this being a "wannabe"

One of the overall goals that I have is to become a member of the SWAT team.

This was a case of curiosity got me in a flak storm lol.

Thanks for the advice and even the slaps(lol)

There I fixed your post's errors and even deleted a few words to make it look like you tried.

yall take it easy.
                      Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

1. Stop trying to mediate with your co-workers. It will not help you in the long run, and may end up with you in the middle of a fight you did not want.
                        2. If you are "training yourself" with firearms, you will make it harder, not easier, to qualify. If you like to shoot, fine. If you want to learn how, pay the money for lessons from a qualified instructor, with some credentials. Not from someone who claims he was a cop, because he has seen every episode of COPS. In fact, talk to the firearms instructor for your local PD/SO, he/she may suggest an instructor. But learn the correct way. Get training, then practice.
                        3. As noted, you need to work on your writing - take a course. Good reports will take you further than being a good shot.
                        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                        John Stuart Mill

Comment

justincpowell,

First of all, you should consider getting your post moved to Firearms section of the forum.

Second of all, worry about it after you get on LE career and after you get accepted to SWAT/ESU team.

Also, choice of weapon might not even be up to you as some agencies would tell you that you can only be trained on and use very specific firearms, whether that might be M4/M16 variants, Mini-14 or MP5 and so on.

Worry about it when you actually get the position as you worrying about it now will not help you one bit.

Good luck with pursuing LE career in future.

Comment

Didnt mean the Superman thing as an insult more of a metaphor. Hang in there. Also, the thing about report writing is very dead on. I work in a job where I routinely read a lot of other officers reports and trust me lots of bad ones out there and if you write bad it can break a case or hurt your credibility.

Training yourself shooting develops bad habits you dont know about. Get some professional training.

Comment

I'll give you the example of my department. You can have either an AR-15 or Mini-14 for duty use. Those are the only two authorized, and you would not be able to use anything else on duty. I would assume most other department's in the country are fairly similar.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2706 users online. 152 members and 2554 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X