300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I properly prepare for a Leo interview

Hey guys I need advice on how to prepare for a leo interview. I am a retail manager and what I usually bring to a interview is my resume or cover letter with personal achievements and a 90 day plan on how I will impact the customer,employee experience and how I will overcome financial opportunities.
    I need to know besides a resume should I bring in a plan on how I plan to be a proactive police officer vs. reactive

Also just curious about the types of questions that are asked the type that I am used to are tell me a time you had to give someone negative feedback what was the issue and the end result or how do you motivate a team that has low moral
    Fyi This is my first Leo interview and I want to leave a good impression.

Use the search function on here, also check the hiring specific section. This has been talked about at nauseum

Comment

Originally posted by tony1907 View Post
      Hey guys I need advice on how to prepare for a leo interview. I am a retail manager and what I usually bring to a interview is my resume or cover letter with personal achievements and a 90 day plan on how I will impact the customer,employee experience and how I will overcome financial opportunities.
      I need to know besides a resume should I bring in a plan on how I plan to be a proactive police officer vs. reactive

Also just curious about the types of questions that are asked the type that I am used to are tell me a time you had to give someone negative feedback what was the issue and the end result or how do you motivate a team that has low moral
      Fyi This is my first Leo interview and I want to leave a good impression.
      An LE Oral Interview is like none that you've ever encountered in your life (note: I'm speaking based on what you've posted).

They are not going to want to see written plans about how you would accomplish this or that. Get that COMPLETELY out of your head or you're going to finish before you've even started.

In this profession, you WILL have to make life and death choices in a split-second. No, that is not some kind of TV or Movie exageration, it is the plain truth.

You will have to make these decisions without anything on paper, just with what is in your head. That is what they will put you through in the Oral. If you pull out some type of written plan, they will most likely have you put it away. If they don't, it means that just by doing so you've failed and they've already made the decision not to hire you. (It is called an "Oral" interview for a reason).

I know nothing about you. I don't know if you have what it takes or not. Some on here might make fun of you for even bringing up the things you have (and, if you do get on this job, you'll understand why, and you won't hold it against them).

I'm not going to do that.

What do you need to do? Bring yourself. Albeit, a professionally-dressed self. Then answer their questions to the best of your ability.

We could spend seven pages on telling you what to do and how to do it, but the bottom line is that it all comes down to instincts delivered in a split-second. We could give you the answer to every single question they may ask, and it would still do you no good. You will have split-seconds to answer them, and trying to form an answer from memory (instead of instinct) will flunk you because it will take far too long (and they'll know it).

Best advice? Go for what you know.

-V
      Last edited by vincelli; 05-16-2011, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Thank both of you for your insight greatly appreciated. I was pretty sure it would have been pointless to bring a written out plan I just had to make sure and here it from the experts. And thank you for being a adult vincelli and skipping the easy criticism and giving me good advice.

Comment

A Different Point of View

I don't mean to be rude, but too many applicants think orals are nothing but a meet and greet session where they can drop in, toss a creatively written resume on the table and BS their way to the top with the gift of gab, a great smile, a nice suit and a $100 haircut. It doesn't work that way.

The purpose of the oral is to identify the most qualified applicants for law enforcement duties. To this end, you will be asked questions that measure your ability to actually perform police work. You will be scored on the number of correct answers you give to those questions. The fact that you were a retail manager, or have a 90 day plan on how you will impact the customer,employee experience, or how you will overcome financial opportunities has little to do with your knowledge of criminal law, rules of evidence, investigative techniques, patrol procedures, how you might handle critical incidents, or deal with ethical situations you may face as a new officer. It doesn't matter if you recently saved 17 children from a burning building, speak five languages, or received the Nobel Price - if you don't get enough correct answers to pass the exam, you're out. Even then, you need to score high enough on the written and oral to be reachable (highest combined score usually gets hired first, next highest score gets hired second, etc.)

Look at the exam announcement for the position you are seeking. It should state what areas the test will cover. Study those areas. In addition, take a look at http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/...guide_0809.pdf It will give you an idea of what an oral board looks at and how they will score you. While this is the California standard, the concepts are fairly universal.

I can't speak for the agency you are applying with, but none of the departments I am familiar with accept resumes. There are too many life experiences to assign a reasonable point value to in scoring, most life experiences listed have marginal or no realistic value to the law enforcement function and let's face it, most resumes are the product of self aggrandized creative writing.

Instead, everyone is evaluated on their ability to perform the duties of the job as determined by the same, standardized written and oral exam.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Tony, you could have paid $1000.00 and not received better advice. I am unable to add to it. Good luck in your Oral Board.

Comment

and a 90 day plan on how I will impact the customer,employee experience and how I will overcome financial opportunities. .
              The department already has a written 9- 12 month plan on how you will impact the department..............It is called academy & FTO.

Everyone as given you a lot of good advice.........................just remember one thing if you throw away all other advice.

An interview for a Law Enforcement job is not like an interview for any other job you have ever participated in.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                The department already has a written 9- 12 month plan on how you will impact the department..............It is called academy & FTO.

Everyone as given you a lot of good advice.........................just remember one thing if you throw away all other advice.

An interview for a Law Enforcement job is not like an interview for any other job you have ever participated in.
                Love the comment on the 9-12 month plan. Priceless!!

Comment

Thank both of you for your insight greatly appreciated. I was pretty sure it would have been pointless to bring a written out plan I just had to make sure and here it from the experts. And thank you for being a adult vincelli and skipping the easy criticism and giving me good advice.
                  I didn't go there because it seemed from your post that you have little experience or knowledge about LE; and there's nothing at all wrong with that. You don't have to have seen every COPS episode ever made, don't need to have fifty ride-a-longs under your belt, etc.

Poeple with absolutely no previous connections to LE become great cops all the time.

It does take a very specific person to be a good cop and it mainly boils down to two things: having the INSTINCTS to do this job, and having the DRIVE to do this job.

Having the proper INSTINCTS will allow you to make the correct decision when you have only a split-second to do so. It's been said that lawyers take months to make the decisions we make in a split-second.

Having the DRIVE to do this job will give you the ability to handle extremely dangerous situations (and yes, dangerous to YOU) without freaking out about the fact that you or someone else may very well die. If you have the right drive, when these situations happen, you won't even think about the danger you just walked through until after. Without that drive, you'd never even be able to bring yourself to respond to some of the calls we go to (your self-preservation instincts would scream for you to run the other way).

Good luck.

-V

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

I say this humbly because I have done it wrong a few times and missed out on jobs I wanted.

Dont give the "protect and serve" canned answers....dont portray yourself to wanna be RoboCop or Judge Dredd....Just be honest and show a general interest in wanting to be a good and righteous person who wants to help people and have a career in Law Enforcement. Too little or to much of a specific trait will be magnified in an LE interview before they will anywhere else. Cops are naturally suspicious and will no when you are not being natural and forthcoming.

Dont go talk about how much you love guns and cant wait to carry one and pull people over....Yes you wll be doing it and may love every second when you get hired, but they may see you as a wannabe who will be more of a problem than your worth.

Here are a few things some just dont think of.
                    GET A HAIRCUT. It doesnt have to be a high and tight or a buzzcut, but a nice neat trim haircut not touching your ears, not anything you can put in a ponytail. Do it a few days before to give it time to relax and lay down and look polished at your interview.
                    SHAVE....your girlfriend may love your scruff, fu man chu, or goatee, but the board wont. Shave clean and fresh the morning of your interview. Itll grow back if you dont get the job.
                    IRON YOUR SHIRT AND PANTS OR HAVE YOUR SUIT CLEANED....dont roll in like you just crawled out of bed in your clothes. Keep the color Dark blue, black or dark grey, studies show the proximity of them to a traditional uniform color forms an unconscious "bond" in some instances with other cops interviewing you.
                    Make sure your tie is a POWER TIE No looney tunes or beer companies or sports teams make it simple diagonal stripes or even solid colored or muted plaid. No loud colors.
                    CLEAN AND POLISH YOUR SHOES Dont roll in with mud and stains on your soles, your strings frayed and scuffs on your leather. Dont wear casual shoes like sneaker or sandals or hikers. Buy some dress shoes also probably best in plain old black with out studs chains or rhinestones.

Granted I havent done all of these things but have had the opportunity to talk with senior staff to ask what I did wrong and have talked to others about things they have seen wrong.

Hope it helps.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5119 users online. 317 members and 4802 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X