300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about ride-along

As far as what to wear: I got a pair of dress pants (black in color), a nice polo shirt one solid color ( gray ) my USMC cover (all so gray, figured bringing cover due to the fact I feel naked outside with out my cover on) pair of bates jump boots ( polished ) and of course black socks.
    As far as what I am planning on wearing would that be appropriate

Now on ride along what should I expect? From how long do most ride-alongs last? Should I pack food or do most stop for food if its going to be a long night? I going up to the local PD and going to try and setup a ride along for a Friday or Saturday night. I figure talking to the local PD when I try and set up the ride-along they will let me know how long I will be out. But I have seen on the forum were people talked about dropping them off early and such.

I plan on asking a lot of questions as the night goes on to things I do not understand, now my third question. Ask for asking question would it bug you if your guess for the night was to ask a lot of questions?

Thank you again for the time to read my wall of text.
    Respect
    Joseph83

It depends on the cop whether or not he is going to grab food or have his lunch. I probably wouldn't bring anything he's going to be hitting up a gas station at least once and you can grab a quick bite. Throw a powerbar or something in your pocket just in case.

If you asked a lot of questions it would annoy the cr*p out me. Some cops love talking with ride-alongs. Just gauge the cop you are reading with.`

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
      It depends on the cop whether or not he is going to grab food or have his lunch. I probably wouldn't bring anything he's going to be hitting up a gas station at least once and you can grab a quick bite. Throw a powerbar or something in your pocket just in case.

If you asked a lot of questions it would annoy the cr*p out me. Some cops love talking with ride-alongs. Just gauge the cop you are reading with.`

Thank you I will gauge the cop before getting into too many question. I am pretty good at judging when people are getting a bad taste in there mouth for something I am doing. ( last job depended on it:P) I just wanted to see what the majority of you all though when doing ride-along

thank you again for your time

Comment

You may want to call ahead to the PD to setup the ride along. Some PDs/SOs run checks on you before allowing you to ride along so it may be some time before you're allowed to go (read: a month possibly, give or take). This may not be the case with the one you are planning to ride with but it wouldn't hurt to ask so you could plan accordingly.

If I misunderstood your post then I apologize.

As for food it wouldn't hurt to pop a PB sandwich in your pocket or something similar. If the officer decides to stop for a bite then you aren't really losing anything but if he doesn't your covered.

I echo Dingo's comments on filling out the officer before inundating him/her with questions. Some folks mind and some don't.

As for what to wear, jeans and a polo would be fine at my agency but it's best to check with the one you'll be riding with for sure.

Comment

I will be going to the local PD on Monday to set up the time were they will be able to have me along. I feel calling is like calling for a job application i rather show up in person and speak with them. It is only 45 minute drive. B.T.W. I live in the middle of the Navajo reservation. So it is a long drive for me to even get a soda:P

Comment

Originally posted by joseph83 View Post
            As far as what to wear: I got a pair of dress pants (black in color), a nice polo shirt one solid color ( gray ) my USMC cover (all so gray, figured bringing cover due to the fact I feel naked outside with out my cover on) pair of bates jump boots ( polished ) and of course black socks.
            As far as what I am planning on wearing would that be appropriate

Joseph83
            No way in HELL this is a serious question. So basically youre going on a ride along as R. Lee Ermy's stunt double...got it.
            Originally posted by crass cop
            Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph83 View Post
              Thank you I will gauge the cop before getting into too many question. I am pretty good at judging when people are getting a bad taste in there mouth for something I am doing. ( last job depended on it:P) I just wanted to see what the majority of you all though when doing ride-along

thank you again for your time
              Yeah take it slow. Rereading my post, I may have been a bit rude. No offense to you, I'm just not a particularly talkative person to people I don't know too well.

Comment

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
                No way in HELL this is a serious question. So basically youre going on a ride along as R. Lee Ermy's stunt double...got it.

I am sorry you do not see it as a serious question. To me I do not like going into something were I feel i am not prepaired, I would not show up at a persons house with out knowing what is to be happening and what i should be prepaired for. Such as showing up at a friends how with a pool, you do not want to go with shorts in hand till you know what to plan for. With that being said, this is yall's house i am just a guest. I just trying to find out if I should bring short or not (I know no shorts would be out of line just speaking to the point i tried to make)

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                  Yeah take it slow. Rereading my post, I may have been a bit rude. No offense to you, I'm just not a particularly talkative person to people I don't know too well.
                  I seen nothing you said to be rude. I come off a little blunt from time to time. I mean nothing by it. The advice you gave me I took to heart. I do respect everyone that is in LEO and yall have walked the path before i even got my LEO path going. as a older friend once told me " its better for people to beleave you are a fool, then to open your mouth and prove them right"

Comment

The above information is good. Some cops don't like a ton of questions and some like it. I'm one of the latter officers. But, whatever you do, DO NOT SAY in your questioning, "I would do it like this..." unless the officer asks you how you would handle a situation.
                    "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
                    -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

Originally posted by LPD003 View Post
                      The above information is good. Some cops don't like a ton of questions and some like it. I'm one of the latter officers. But, whatever you do, DO NOT SAY in your questioning, "I would do it like this..." unless the officer asks you how you would handle a situation.
                      My line of questions would be more alone the lines of "what does this mean"

thank you all for the good input
                      Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop
                        Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

I think ride-alongs, by their very nature are designed to be educational. Part of that educational process is answering questions. Simply put, my opinion is, if you don't like answering the questions of the rider, then your agency shouldn't assign you a rider.

Now, there are questions that are valid, and some that are just down right ridiculous. If somebody's asking me pertinent questions, i don't mind. If someone is asking me what every button on my siren box does, just so they can fill time....that's rather annoying.

If you're interested in law enforcement, ask questions that are well thought out and pertinent to the job. If officers have a problem answering those kind of questions, then they shouldn't be given riders. All that happens then is that the rider gets a sour taste for either that specific agency, or law enforcement as a whole.
                          Originally posted by K40
                          To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                          ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Best advice for a ride along: eyes open and mouth shut.

Beyond that i always bring enough money to buy dinner for how ever many officers are on during your shift (small depts have 2-3 guys, so $40-60).

I also pack a small lunch, 2 sandwiches (pb+j), 2 power bars and 2 bottles of water. You never know if you are going to get stuck on a call for hours at a time, best to have food to share.
                            The sooner you understand that all your base are belongs to me the better off you will be.

Comment

Thank you, I will take all of that into account. Yall have been very helpful.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4923 users online. 305 members and 4618 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X