Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I own a .38 special pistol and usually....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I own a .38 special pistol and usually....

I own a .38 special pistol and usually go shooting at the same place every time but went to a new place this last time. I'm usually pretty acurate in hitting the target but the new place has a different kind of target and I only hit it once. Is there a special way to site the gun for different types of targets? Would I benefit from those paper targets of a bullseye that are used in archery practice?
    I'm old......that's all.

You can only adjust your sites to hit what you want to hit. If the target is smaller than what you're normally shooting at, you might want to adjust your shooting style, not necessarily the sights. The sights are either "on target" or they're not. It shouldn't matter what type of target you are shooting at. You're shooting style or technique may be the problem.
    "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
    -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

That sounds reasonable. The trigger is very hard to pull back to actually shoot and I usually have to use both hands. The target was smaller this time than the usual one. It does have a little kick to it and not sure how to compensate for that with a smaller target.
      I'm old......that's all.

Comment

Sight alignment..trigger squeeze. Also you might try firing the weapon single action.

Comment

It in not the target size, the locale or the sights, it is you. Once sighted, trigger control, breathing and sight alignment control where the bullet goes.

We used to start with the back of the target (blank) side and teach the above principles while observing the above. Next we would place a colored 3X5" file card on the target and again observe the above. Usually new shooters have trouble maintaining proper grip, jerk the trigger or fail to maintain sight alignment.
          "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

What part of Wyoming?

I ask because I'm in Newcastle and might be able to help you.

What kind of 38 (model #. barrel length, sights, etc.)
            What ammo
            What targets

Best thing I can sugest is a "Coach" if that's not available I can line you up with some pretty good material.

Comment

.......deleted
              Last edited by OneAdam12; 05-13-2011, 06:01 PM.
              Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
                It in not the target size, the locale or the sights, it is you. Once sighted, trigger control, breathing and sight alignment control where the bullet goes.

We used to start with the back of the target (blank) side and teach the above principles while observing the above. Next we would place a colored 3X5" file card on the target and again observe the above. Usually new shooters have trouble maintaining proper grip, jerk the trigger or fail to maintain sight alignment.
                I tend to agree with you. I'm not a "new,new" shooter but this is a new gun for me and the new place was on an incline with a metal target that has a small round target on top and a larger one on bottom. The old shooting place is on level ground with a huge stationary billboard type target to shoot at.

Thank you for your answer. I'm going to try your suggestion as it sounds like a good way to get better acquainted with my pistol. Of course a trip to the eye Dr. may not hurt me any either! LOL!
                I'm old......that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by wyofirebirdbaby View Post
                  new place was on an incline with a metal target that has a small round target on top and a larger one on bottom. The old shooting place is on level ground with a huge stationary billboard type target to shoot at.

THERE IS YOUR ANSWER.

Experienced shooters, much less semi-experienced shooters often have trouble when the target is above/below their height.

I have seen serious military veterans blank out on the tower simulator at our institution range. While that is 30 feet above the target.................even a few feet make a big difference.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by kraigwy View Post
                    What part of Wyoming?

I ask because I'm in Newcastle and might be able to help you.

What kind of 38 (model #. barrel length, sights, etc.)
                    What ammo
                    What targets

Best thing I can sugest is a "Coach" if that's not available I can line you up with some pretty good material.
                    It's a Rossi .38 Special 5 shot and I was using Magtech Centerfire Cartridges but got a box of Lawman High-Performance Cartridges this time. Both are 158 gr. The barrel length itself is only 2 1/2" long. Model number? Don't know. The sights are one notched thin piece of metal above the hammer and a "fin" shaped one with ridges along the top is at the end of the barrel. I'll openly admit that as far as the technicalities of the gun I know very little but the safe handeling,storage,loading/unloading and proper way to hold it during those procedures I'm very aware of.

It was bought used and given to me for Christmas by my husband and I've actually only shot this pistol a total of 4 times,one box of cartridges each time. I haven't gotten a cleaning kit for it yet and won't use it again until I do and it's been properly cleaned.

I usually go shooting with my husband but he has a 44 Ruger (canon) pistol and isn't a lot of help as far as sighting and so on. The trigger is very hard for me to pull back to fire with one hand and it "bites" the web of my hand between my thumb and index finger if I use only one hand to fire it but it kicks a little less than if I use both hands. I start with the pistol about forehead level and bring it down slowly,looking right down the barrel,then shoot. I don't rapid fire as I'm not that familiar with it yet. I figure my riding gloves will work good to stop the biting and will try them next time.

Usual target was a billboard type wood structure that allows one to put up paper targets or frisbees or such. I was using poster board that was yellow colored but tried the other shooting place and it has the old metal "hour glass" shape to it and goes around and around if hit. I was always above or below it and only made it go around when I walked up to it and kicked it with my foot to make sure it wasn't stuck or blocked.

I live in Hot Springs Co.,a good 4 1/2-5 hrs. from Newcastle. The material would be greatly appreciated and any other advice welcomed. Thanks for your help.
                    I'm old......that's all.

Comment

If you are going to fire this weapon very much you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need to take some lessons from a competent instructor.

The gun should NOT be that hard to fire(at least the way you describe having trouble pulling the trigger) and it definitely should NOT "bite" your hand when you fire. That is due to bad technique.

The way you describe aiming the weapon is also faulty.

Spend some money on finding a firearm instructor to help you out.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                        THERE IS YOUR ANSWER.

Experienced shooters, much less semi-experienced shooters often have trouble when the target is above/below their height.

I have seen serious military veterans blank out on the tower simulator at our institution range. While that is 30 feet above the target.................even a few feet make a big difference.
                        Did not know that. Thank you. So then really,both targets aren't very good ones to get experience on as the billboard type one is rather tall unless you stand back a ways. Outside of a shooting range which we don't have,what would you suggest is best to learn on as far as dimension wise and how far away from said target is good to begin with?

Thanks Iowa, for your help.
                        I'm old......that's all.

Comment

If you are going to fire this weapon very much you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need to take some lessons from a competent instructor.

The gun should NOT be that hard to fire(at least the way you describe having trouble pulling the trigger) and it definitely should NOT "bite" your hand when you fire. That is due to bad technique.

The way you describe aiming the weapon is also faulty.

Spend some money on finding a firearm instructor to help you out.
                          Again,thank you and will see what I can find out. They have a Hunter Safety class here every year and I can probably get info from them where to get someone to help me. Your advice is very good and I will take it. Thanks again!
                          I'm old......that's all.

Comment

[email protected] 25 yrd or less

You said the range was at an incline.......................that is not the same as the one target being above the other.

You need to practice on a flat range......................Like I said ------------------------------find a range, hire an instructor.

Comment

[email protected] 25 yrd or less

You said the range was at an incline.......................that is not the same as the one target being above the other.

You need to practice on a flat range......................Like I said ------------------------------find a range, hire an instructor.
                              The new place I went was on an incline and on private property but the one I usually go to is on flat land,wide open and has a lot of empty space around it to practice how you want away from ones who use the billboard thing. It used to be the old practice range for our LEOs but they haven't used it for many years and people have altered it over time. I will see if I can get one of my PD friends to go out there and give me some instructions if they have time on days off. I'm more than willing to get someone competent to help me! Thanks for all your help.
                              I'm old......that's all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3160 users online. 170 members and 2990 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X