300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How woulld K2 affect chances of employment

I smoked K2 or spice last year (May-Aug) I am not really sure how many times but if I had to
    guess I would say about 30 – 50 times. I have always been curious about marijuana but never
    smoked it because it was illegal. I have never done any illegal drugs of any kind. The only reason
    I decided to use K2 was because it was legal. I bought it over the counter at a gas station and
    it had the same effects as marijuana so I thought I would be able to see what the big deal was,
    finally. I thought since it was legal, it would not be held against me. Honestly if anything, I
    thought it would be frowned upon, I was curious and decided to smoke K2.

I filled out a preliminary information packet, 100% honestly, for a Police Department and
    received an email yesterday stating, ”Due to the recent use of K2 in 2010 listed on your Preliminary Form, the ______ Police Department would not be able to offer you a job as a police officer. We would like to see a minimum of 10 years from the use of K2 and being considered for the position. This does not disqualify you from taking our civil service test and going through the hiring process.”

I was wandering what your perspnal/departments thoughts on the matter are. I know that some departments have a 3 or 5year time period for marijuana usage. I can understand if departments treated it like marijuana but, do you know why there would be a 10 year period for something that was legal? Is there something thatI am not seeing?

I understand that certain departments have different regulations. I am just worried that other
    departments are going to say the same thing and I threw away my chance of becoming a police
    officer due to a stupid decision I made.

At the time of usage, K2 was legal. After I stopped using it, it became illegal all over the U.S.

-----------------
    Edit: Just for some clarification (not like it matters to anyone but myself), but I just wanted to say that I did not post that message. My roommate has that issue, and typed that posting. He applied for this message board and didn't want to wait for the time for it to process. I told him he could use my account because I am mainly a lurker and do not really post here or even visit this site much. I wasn't aware of how letting someone post on my account on the internet could affect my real life, and I guess I will take this as a lesson learned.

Everyone is free to do what they want, and say what they want. TDCJ has many phone numbers so feel free to tell the agency that I work for what was posted under my account. I am not sweating it.

Be safe everyone.
    Last edited by TonicR6; 10-07-2011, 05:51 PM.

My agency has the same requirement for minimal usage...DQ for as many times as you listed.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by TonicR6 View Post
      I smoked K2 or spice last year (May-Aug) I am not really sure how many times but if I had to
      guess I would say about 30 – 50 times. I have always been curious about marijuana but never
      smoked it because it was illegal. I have never done any illegal drugs of any kind. The only reason
      I decided to use K2 was because it was legal. I bought it over the counter at a gas station and
      it had the same effects as marijuana so I thought I would be able to see what the big deal was,
      finally. I thought since it was legal, it would not be held against me. Honestly if anything, I
      thought it would be frowned upon, I was curious and decided to smoke K2.

I filled out a preliminary information packet, 100% honestly, for a Police Department and
      received an email yesterday stating, ”Due to the recent use of K2 in 2010 listed on your Preliminary Form, the ______ Police Department would not be able to offer you a job as a police officer. We would like to see a minimum of 10 years from the use of K2 and being considered for the position. This does not disqualify you from taking our civil service test and going through the hiring process.”

I was wandering what your perspnal/departments thoughts on the matter are. I know that some departments have a 3 or 5year time period for marijuana usage. I can understand if departments treated it like marijuana but, do you know why there would be a 10 year period for something that was legal? Is there something thatI am not seeing?

I understand that certain departments have different regulations. I am just worried that other
      departments are going to say the same thing and I threw away my chance of becoming a police
      officer due to a stupid decision I made.

At the time of usage, K2 was legal. After I stopped using it, it became illegal all over the U.S.

It doesn't matter if it was legal at the time or not YOU still chose to heavily abuse a drug. Its your fault, own up to it and move on to another field.
      Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

You didn't think a department would frown upon you using something to get a marijuana like high?

K2 may have been legal to possess, however you probably were breaking several state and federal laws by ingesting it.

Besides, it just shows a lack of judgement. The department knows you were trying to get around the law and it seems they have called you on it.

I'm curious though, where on your prelim form did it ask about K2? How was the specific question worded. I'm not a fan of lying by omission, but my department doesn't have anywhere on their background forms where one would have to mention k2 use. That might need to change due to all the new "legal" highs.
        Last edited by Dingo990; 05-13-2011, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Agree totally with my colleagues. Your use of the K-2 demonstrates a case of especially poor judgment. If you're of age, alcohol is legal. However, "buzz drinking", binge drinking, or simply getting falling down drunk are examples of poor judgment, not to mention DUI. What you should consider also is the fact that in LE, numerous applicants are chasing relatively few jobs. Agencies can be, and are, extremely selective. Given that, it's highly unlikely that you'd be hired any time soon.

Comment

Just when you think you've seen it all on this forum...

Good luck, you're really gonna need it. Divine intervention may be required for you to get hired in LE. Start praying...

-V

Comment

Here is the drug usage policy for the Iowa Department of Public Safety...........Iowa State Troopers.

IT is similar to many large police/sheriff's departments nationwide.

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/pr...ications.shtml
              To determine whether you meet the Department's drug policy, please answer the following questions:

Have you used marijuana at all within the last two years?
              Have you used marijuana more than a total of 15 times in your life?
              Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) at all in the past 10 years?
              Have you used an other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) more than a total of five times in your life?

Have you ever sold any illegal drug for profit?
              Have you ever used an illegal drug (no matter how many times or how long ago) while in a law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust?

If you answered YES to any of the above six questions, you are immediately disqualified and should NOT apply for a peace officer position with the Department of Public Safety.

Other conduct not specified will be evaluated

ALSO

GOOD MORAL CHARACTER:

An applicant must be of good moral character, which means that he or she can be trusted and is considered by those who know him/her to be a person of good reputation and good standing in the community.

When conduct is of a nature, that, if known, would tend to discredit the applicant as a peace officer, the applicant will not be employed.

The character of a person is determined by past behavior. Many factors are relevant in this assessment. The Department seeks applicants whose histories show good judgment, maturity, a sense of responsibility, and the respect of others. Several factors will be considered:
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Wow this thread was gutted.

Comment

Think of it as lypo.
                  sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                    K2 may have been legal to possess, however you probably were breaking several state and federal laws by ingesting it.
                    Exactly, just because something is legal to purchase (ex: gasoline, paint, glue, etc.) for legal purposes doesn't mean that injesting them to get high will wouldn't also disqualify you. K-2, Spice and other "legal high" substances were legal because they were being sold as incense, not as substances to get high off of (they've been subsequently made illegal because of people using them to get high). Using these substances - or any legal substance for the purpose of getting high - is likely to result in a disqualification (especially at the quantity of 30-50 times in the last year!).
                    sigpic

Comment

The chemicals in that stuff will mess with your brain more than any joint would. Also, I bet the package said something like "Not for human consumption", correct?

Comment

Honestly if anything, I thought it would be frowned upon, I was curious and decided to smoke K2.
                        WTF? Really? Law enforcement is not for you then.

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog View Post
                          WTF? Really? Law enforcement is not for you then.

Yes, you are done at least for ten years, and then only if the PD is desperate for bodies.
                          Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Curious is trying something once.... not 30-50 times. You might want to look at other career options for the next 10 years or so.

Comment

His name is listed in another post he has. http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...t=#post2504908 I posted it in this thread and it was deleted. Someone should give his employer (Texas DOC) a courtesy call about his posts/drug use or copy them and email them. He gives other Texas DOC workers a bad name if he is one.

Ya gotta love how he badmouths his own agency also...

Hahaha, you will hate TDCJ. Morale is low, pay is lower, and professionalism is low as well. I really hate to talk crap about the agency that I work for currently to put me through school, but when you only require a GED or HS deploma and only have to "put forth effort" in the academy to pass, what exactly do you expect? I think prior military and law enforcement can go straight to the boards, but non law enforcement and military will need to wait 18 months before considered for promotion.

Basically, compared to other state's corrections, TDCJ is a joke. It IS good for a paycheck every month, good insurance, and good medical. It is a SUPER easy job as well (you just need to get used to the lazy bosses).

Anyways, if you want more info, let me know or PM me. I have been with TDCJ Corrections Devision for about 2 years now.

Good luck with whatever you do.
                              Last edited by Buffaloboy; 05-13-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3778 users online. 248 members and 3530 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X