Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a United States Marine join... But wait...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a United States Marine join... But wait...

I am a 21 (will be 23 by the time my USMC contract expires) I am obviously in amazing shape and have a ton of training both combat and garrison. I have a successful combat deployment under my belt and also had one of the hardest jobs in my platoon and am just all around motivated (Numerous medals, ribbons, awards and recognitions.) But the marine corps did not satisfy my burning desire to protect and serve as I thought it would. I have realized that my number one goal is to be a police officer, specifically one in Maricopa County AZ (More specifically East valley) But I am willing to cut my losses and even be a cop here where I am stationed (Oceanside/Carlsbad/Vista CA area.)

BUT HERE IS THE CATCH: I have a pretty embarrassing past with drug use. Before I joined the USMC when I was around 16 through 18 I used Marijuana HEAVILY and experimented with others such as cocaine 1 time, mushrooms 1 time, and various prescription medicines a few. This caused me to every now and then help friends out get drugs on an extremely small scale, selling them cuts of what I had every now and then(More of a favor not a sale like I'd get 5 bucks just to break off a little weed I had) But it's all in my past and I have NO DESIRE for drugs anymore! I quit all drug association almost a year before I enlisted and obviously I haven't touched them since. (EXCEPT some prescribed meds when I returned from my combat deployment in Afghanistan.)

So bottom line I am afraid I can never be a police officer because of my past (which will be a total of 5 years when I am done with the marines...) Do I still have a chance? I really am worried that all hope is lost.

I do not mean to come off as having a huge ego. I am purely stating facts about myself that I feel can be beneficial for my chance. It's a damn shame that by the time I will be out of the marines it'll be 5 years almost 6 since I touched a drug, and my chances are tarnished and the job is given to a FAT out of shape baboon (As I've seen in my city) that just wants the check and does not have the serious burning desire to serve my city.

I can not believe the comments that I am receiving for my thread... I apologize for anything that was making me look cocky. I am a different person from when I was 18. As well as some "cops" on here saying they would rather work with someone with no combat training then one who does and has tried drugs? WOW! I guess I am used to the USMC brotherhood. I have received nothing but negativity. I risked my life, missed my first borns birth, spent my 21st birthday in Afghanistan. I am different. It's a damn shame that the police force is this backwards, so in part, I will continue to serve you.
    Last edited by meachumz; 05-12-2011, 11:01 PM. Reason: clear some misconception

The flood gate still is open......................

preserved for later.
    Originally posted by meachumz View Post
    I am a 21 (will be 23 by the time my USMC contract expires) I am obviously in amazing shape and have a ton of training both combat and garrison. I have a successful combat deployment under my belt and also had one of the hardest jobs in my platoon and am just all around motivated (Numerous medals, ribbons, awards and recognitions.) But the marine corps did not satisfy my burning desire to protect and serve as I thought it would. I have realized that my number one goal is to be a police officer, specifically one in Maricopa County AZ (More specifically East valley) But I am willing to cut my losses and even be a cop here where I am stationed (Oceanside/Carlsbad/Vista CA area.)

BUT HERE IS THE CATCH: I have a pretty embarrassing past with drug use. Before I joined the USMC when I was around 16 through 18 I used Marijuana HEAVILY and experimented with others such as cocaine, mushrooms, and various prescription medicines. This caused me to every now and then help friends out get drugs on an extremely small scale, selling them cuts of what I had every now and then. But it's all in my past and I have NO DESIRE for drugs anymore! I quit all drug association almost a year before I enlisted and obviously I haven't touched them since. (EXCEPT some prescribed meds when I returned from my combat deployment in Afghanistan.)

So bottom line I am afraid I can never be a police officer because of my past (which will be a total of 5 years when I am done with the marines...) Do I still have a chance? I really am worried that all hope is lost.
    Well Here is the second preservation copy.

BUT HERE IS THE CATCH: I have a pretty embarrassing past with drug use. Before I joined the USMC when I was around 16 through 18 I used Marijuana HEAVILY and experimented with others such as cocaine 1 time, mushrooms 1 time, and various prescription medicines a few. This caused me to every now and then help friends out get drugs on an extremely small scale, selling them cuts of what I had every now and then(More of a favor not a sale like I'd get 5 bucks just to break off a little weed I had) But it's all in my past and I have NO DESIRE for drugs anymore! I quit all drug association almost a year before I enlisted and obviously I haven't touched them since. (EXCEPT some prescribed meds when I returned from my combat deployment in Afghanistan.)

I do not mean to come off as having a huge ego. I am purely stating facts about myself that I feel can be beneficial for my chance. It's a damn shame that by the time I will be out of the marines it'll be 5 years almost 6 since I touched a drug, and my chances are tarnished and the job is given to a FAT out of shape baboon (As I've seen in my city) that just wants the check and does not have the serious burning desire to serve my city.

I can not believe the comments that I am receiving for my thread... I apologize for anything that was making me look cocky. I am a different person from when I was 18. As well as some "cops" on here saying they would rather work with someone with no combat training then one who does and has tried drugs? WOW! I guess I am used to the USMC brotherhood. I have received nothing but negativity. I risked my life, missed my first borns birth, spent my 21st birthday in Afghanistan. I am different. It's a damn shame that the police force is this backwards, so in part, I will continue to serve you.
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 05-13-2011, 07:15 AM.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

all hope is lost...

(Stay in the Corp and get your 20)
      Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Iowa, possibly.

But unlike other posters he is realistic that this may have destroyed his chances (which it quite possibly has).

Also, he has military service (something many other posters with drug use history don't have).

If you can stand it, I would recommend another tour in the Marines. 8 years of honorable military service will go a long way to make PDs forget about drug use. Quite frankly, your extensive drug use will greatly hurt your chances. But if anything can help that, it will be military service. As someone else has said, getting your 20 in isn't a bad plan either. You will drawing retirement before you are 40, then maybe you can reevaluate your law enforcement chances.

Comment

Unfortunately you cannot be hired at all in MD. Your drug use is too numerous and you admitted to a felony.

Even if your drug use was very minimal, you said you only cut ties a year ago! Normally a 5+ year gap is preferred.

Comment

Stay in the Corps.

Comment

Semper Fi, I would say that based on your own conduct you will not gethired by my agency, as someone stated you you confessed to a felony. perhaps 8 years will ash that away,good luck

Comment

Originally posted by meachumz
                Did I not take ownership? I do and I think about it everyday! I can't fathom people who don't come close to my aspects can qualify.
                With the TYPE of drugs you have admitted to using, a quick Google search will show you that some are instant DQ's for LIFE in some states. As a former Marine myself, my advice....get your 20+ in the Corps. You're not going to be a civilian police officer.
                Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

To be blunt you are screwed. Besides the usage you admit to distribution/selling. Any hope you have of an LE career would be to reclass into an MP slot.

Thank you for your service, but I think your best option would be to remain in the military.

Comment

Wouldn't touch you. Marine or not. "Amazing" shape or not. You used far too many drugs.
                    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I am shocked to see some these replies to be quite honest. Good night all.

Comment

Yes, honest replies often hurt the feelings of those not accustomed to having opinions from those other than ones that love and care about them. We don't know you. We have no vested interested in you and therefore no need to sugar coat anything. Welcome to the real world.
                        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Marijuana [...] cocaine [...] mushrooms [...] various prescription medicines [...] selling them [...]
                          That is what is going to DQ you. You've admitted to a felony or two in there as well. They aren't going to care about the explanation or what you have done to better yourself after the fact, the bottom line is in my state atleast you CANNOT be an officer after committing a Felony offense.I'm certain it is the same everywhere else.

Marijuana use several years in the past may have been acceptable (not 2-3 years, as you state), the other drugs tend to be a PERMANENT DQ.

Do as others have suggested, stay in the armed forces. If you really want to be a cop, the closest I honestly think you will get is MP.
                          Last edited by SSD; 05-12-2011, 11:47 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Any and all statements made by this account represent my sole opinion and do not reflect an official opinion, belief, or policy of any department or agency to which I am employed by. Further, I am in no way authorized to speak on behalf of any department or agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                            Welcome to the real world.
                            You are telling me that? Damn... Guess you have done it all... I'll keep watching all the cops back on a bigger scale, in Afghan missing my first borns birth.

Comment

I I can not believe the comments that I am receiving for my thread... I apologize for anything that was making me look cocky. I am a different person from when I was 18. As well as some "cops" on here saying they would rather work with someone with no combat training then one who does and has tried drugs? WOW! I guess I am used to the USMC brotherhood. I have received nothing but negativity. I risked my life, missed my first borns birth, spent my 21st birthday in Afghanistan. I am different. It's a damn shame that the police force is this backwards, so in part, I will continue to serve you.
                              We owe you thanks for your service to this country, we do NOT owe you a job in LE. I don't understand why you continue to go back and edit your post, it's not helping.
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4119 users online. 258 members and 3861 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X