Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for officers involved in hiring....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for officers involved in hiring....

This question is for any officers who are involved in the hiring process for their respective departments.

I am 37 years old and have met all the requirements for the BLET Rookie School at my local Comm. College. I am currently planning on starting school at the beginning of July. I know that I am a bit old to be starting out in Law Enforcement and that we are in a very tough job market right now. I'm not sure I should be considering this carrer path.

It's not only about age. I also have a rough financial credit history over the past 3 years. My wife took a 25% pay cut and I took a 10% pay cut at our jobs at the same time. We fought to keep our house at the detriment to our credit ratings and ended up loosing the house any way. I have a repo on my record as well as currently going through a foreclosure of my home. I also have about $50,000 of medical collections that I am fighting with the insurance company over them not paying when they should have.

I know that all departments do a credit check as part of the hiring/interview process and am thinking that I have NO chance of getting a job with a department with this type of credit rating right now.

What do you think?

Thanks for the input.

Robert

You would be much better off contacting a recruiter at several of the area agencies to see what their take is on your situation.

If you can explain your credit problems and show that you are working on the problem ------some agencies would take that as face value and work with you. Some might not.

37 isn't old to get into LE...........................
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

If you can explain your credit problems and show that you are working on the problem ------some agencies would take that as face value and work with you. Some might not.
      Agreed, there are many PDs that divide credit problems into two categories. 1. You fell on hard times and are trying to fix your life and 2. You are irresponsible and just like running up bills and then not paying them. If you are in category 1, I think many departments are far more likely to work with you.

Comment

I agree with my colleagues. The current economy has torpedoed many families, and others, who otherwise would never have had"credit problems". Let's look at credit, and this could come up in an interview, a whole lot is going to depend on what you used your credit for. If you went out and purchased a whole bunch of toys and luxuries, then yes, there's going to be a problem. Be certain that your credit and finances will be thoroughly scrutinized. However, if you made consistent good faith efforts to stay current with your bills,and if those efforts are ongoing, you might have a shot. I agree with my colleague concerning discussing your situation with a Recruiter, or someone who can give you real time advice concerning your situation.

Comment

Go here http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/bi.pdf and start reading at Page 149. It will give you an idea as to how many agencies look at credit.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            You would be much better off contacting a recruiter at several of the area agencies to see what their take is on your situation.

37 isn't old to get into LE...........................
            Yep, with my agency, as long as you could show you were paying it down, you were good to go.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Quotmastr,
              In reality if you can explain your credit situation and let them know you intend on dealing with it legally then it's not as big as a problem as you think. I was unemployed for 7months, and had a couple credit cards I wasn't able to pay for. I explained the situation and what I planned on doing to take care of it and my background passed and I am now a federal officer. Don't put too much worry on your credit background, many agencies are being very understanding about credit backgrounds in this current economy.
              GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

I live and work in your area. Your age isn't an issue at all. Meeting the requirements for BLET isn't the issue and they do NOT do a very detailed background. The credit will be an issue...most in NC do check your credit. I agree with Dingo that there is a difference and in these economic times, some things are understandable. I would suggest you gather your evidence on the medical bills and the rest is going to be luck of the draw. Keep in mind, that you only have one year from passing the state exam to get hired or have your cert held. If you don't think it will be possible to get a grip on your finances, you might want to delay BLET awhile. Not many agencies in the eastern part of the State are hiring right now.

Best of luck to you.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Here in Cali, I know of someone who went through the academy and got hired at 52.. So age is not an issue. Just the credit, but as others have said the department should take the current economic standing of the nation into account when they look at yours.. They know just as well that times can be tough right now. Just be sure you are making an effort to repair your credit, not just "let it go" as that is what will surely DQ you. Just keep working at the credit as much as you can and you should have the chance to explain your situation to the background investigator.
                  sigpic
                  Any and all statements made by this account represent my sole opinion and do not reflect an official opinion, belief, or policy of any department or agency to which I am employed by. Further, I am in no way authorized to speak on behalf of any department or agency.

Comment

I don't think there's anything anyone can add.

The replies you've received are spot-on.

-V

Comment

Agencies will still hire you, just be ready to literally lay everything out on the table. My agency has hired recruits in their 40s just as long as they perform to state standards. Your credit will become an issue but not necessarily a disqualifier. The only way to know is to call and set up an appointment and talk to someone in person. I do not know your entire situation, but if you are interested in working in the Triangle area, my agency has recruiters who will work with you. I am not alleging that they will get you in, but if there is a way, these guys will do their best as long as you are qualified for the position.
                      "Its not cheating, unless you get caught."-Al Bundy

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3742 users online. 205 members and 3537 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X