300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualifications - Based on your experiences

I'm just looking for a few answers or insights if you will from some of you LEO's who have been around and seen a lot. My question is about my qualifications to become a LEO. First I want to say that I know that it will depend who I am up against and stuff like that but here it goes:

I'm 21 I will be 22 in August and it will be until I'm at least 23 before I begin applying but I'm trying to do my best to make myself an attractive applicant right now. I play Division 1 baseball which I am hoping will look good in the area of commitment, ability to work in a team setting and also physical ability to perform job requirements as well as following orders and obeying regulations (NCAA). I have never received a traffic citation and have no criminal history. My credit is rated at "Good". I will have a Bachelor's degree next summer in Exercise Science/Kinesiology. The only thing I am worried about is lack of prior employment. I had one job when I was 17 but had to leave after a few weeks because the employer refused to work with me around my busy baseball schedule as I was looking to play at the collegiate level so of course I did a lot of travel during that time. One thing though: When I was hired they said they would work with me with regards to hours but never did.

So will lack of employment be a negative or will I be able to explain my situation when/if asked?

Thank you guys/girls in advance for any insight you may have.

Erick

Shouldn't be an issue.

A degree and your background will help greatly.
    It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
    Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

Do you think only being 23 will be a hindrance?

Comment

Originally posted by mr crowley View Post
        Do you think only being 23 will be a hindrance?
        No. I got hired just after my 22nd b-day

Comment

I'm 21 I will be 22 in August and it will be until I'm at least 23 before I begin applying but I'm trying to do my best to make myself an attractive applicant right now. I play Division 1 baseball which I am hoping will look good in the area of commitment, ability to work in a team setting and also physical ability to perform job requirements as well as following orders and obeying regulations (NCAA). I have never received a traffic citation and have no criminal history. My credit is rated at "Good". I will have a Bachelor's degree next summer in Exercise Science/Kinesiology. The only thing I am worried about is lack of prior employment. I had one job when I was 17 but had to leave after a few weeks because the employer refused to work with me around my busy baseball schedule as I was looking to play at the collegiate level so of course I did a lot of travel during that time. One thing though: When I was hired they said they would work with me with regards to hours but never did.
          I see from your record listed above that you probably don't play for Iowa. Too clean of a record.

You will be just fine.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You're in fine shape. That's not a guarantee that this profession will work out for you, but you're definitely in much better shape than most of those who inquire around here.

The only thing you lack is Military experience, but don't take that the wrong way; it is not in any way a requirement. Suffice it to say that you're doing very well in all other aspects, and your current resume will give you a great shot at LE as long as your attitude is good.

I don't see the work history being any kind of problem.

The only hurdle you face is the current economy. Fortunately, you're in good shape to compete for the few slots that are available.

Good luck.

-V

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The military is something I have been thinking very seriously about. If I go in it would Marine Corps, hopefully as an Officer. But I am going to test the waters first to see if I can get a job with an agency. Also another question, I have close ties with someone who was a former Lieutenant in one of the police departments I am going to apply to. He's retired now after 20 some odd years and well respected (Actually hooked me up with a ride-along and introduced me to various Lieutenants, Sergeants and captains). Would a recommendation or the fact that we have a relationship of sorts "count" a little more or does that have absolutely no bearing whatsoever?

Comment

Remember....If you go in, go in because you want to serve your country.....and not go in to make your time a resume builder.....

We are in a 2-3 front war.....and its only going to get worse with the clowns that are running the show....

I've stated before, I've got buddies in line infantry units and they aren't happy with some of the new folks they are getting in because they are already counting days till they get out.....and are crying the blues about being deployed to A-Stan.....

Comment

I understand, and I worded that poorly. If I go in I'm going in to serve this country. I wouldn't go in just to build my qualifications because that would mean I'm not giving my best for the guys and girls on my right and left. I wasn't raised to do things [email protected]$$'d and for that I'm thankful. I apologize for sounding stupid in the above post. I hope I did not offend you.

Comment

I understand, and I worded that poorly. If I go in I'm going in to serve this country. I wouldn't go in just to build my qualifications because that would mean I'm not giving my best for the guys and girls on my right and left. I wasn't raised to do things [email protected]$$'d and for that I'm thankful. I apologize for sounding stupid in the above post. I hope I did not offend you.
                    No issues...

Just wanted to let you know what my feelings as a Vet and someone who works for the military still.....and what most folks that are still in think about people like that.....

As stated, we are fighting a 2-3 front war right now. You go in, you will deploy.....even in the Guard and Reserves....

Comment

I don't see any issues based on what you've posted. BTW I was twenty three when I was first sworn in. With respect to Military Service, read my colleague's replies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3327 users online. 165 members and 3162 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X