300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know I going to get hammer for this BUT

I don't like how they are teaching us how to handcuff in training. They said tell the person to keep their palms on their head and cuff em. I was taught PPCT spread them out and bend a little. To me I have more control over the person than doing it the way they are teaching it. I keep my mouth shut but I just feel it leaves open far too many things to happen. Have y'all ever been face with something like this? Being taught one way and then oh you enter the training and its a different way and you don't agree with. Thanks for listen to me ramble about how I know better than the trainers. I know, I dont know crap.

We were taught PPCT in the regional academy. When we went back to our agency we were taught tactical style handcuffing where the suspect interlaces their fingers on the back of their head. After learning the tactical way I much prefer it than the dance with PPCT when someone starts trying to resist.

Comment

I guess I just not use to the way yet.

Comment

PPCT is great, however not every situation, in fact very few, will afford you to stand tactically 6 feet away and give direction to: spread feet, bend over, put hands behind your back...palm up..then move in
        I like the interlaced palms on the head, I prefer to do it that way but instead behind the back...its important to have positive control of both hands prior to even taking out the cuffs..
        stats show that most people resist at first contact

without saying too much more, there are several ways to "resist" when being handcuffed...get positive control of both hands first.
        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
          PPCT is great, however not every situation, in fact very few, will afford you to stand tactically 6 feet away and give direction to: spread feet, bend over, put hands behind your back...palm up..then move in
          I like the interlaced palms on the head, I prefer to do it that way but instead behind the back...its important to have positive control of both hands prior to even taking out the cuffs..
          stats show that most people resist at first contact

without saying too much more, there are several ways to "resist" when being handcuffed...get positive control of both hands first.

Yup!
          "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

While in the academy------------------------train the way you are instructed.

If your department uses different procedures, use them when you get on the street.

At my DOC academy (taken long after being a street cop) we were taught a completely different way. HOWEVER my institution required us to cuff another way.

Go with the flow until you are on the streets and your FTO tells you the current way at your department.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

We were taught exclusively PPCT for handcuffing in the academy. Which was disappointing, since we had *a lot* of hours of self defense, but very little of it was handcuffing. I've found criminals don't often cooperate when you are trying to do the PPCT method. They often aren't intentionally trying to resist, but they don't hold still long enough to get the cuffs on when you are going through the whole thing.

I just slap on the cuffs how I learned in the Army. I won't get into the specifics, but it is similar to what Crass described. If someone gets squirrelly, I just drop us both to the ground with me ending up on top of them. I'm sure there are more uber elite tactical methods, but it is the quickest to me. I feel getting the cuffs on as quick as people cuts down on a lot of the BS.
              Last edited by Dingo990; 05-07-2011, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Handcuffs/ other restraints are not a means to establish control,they are a means to maintain control already established.
                If you feel like giving verbal commands is a better way to establish control than interlacing hands behind the head and getting a grip, so be it. Whatever keeps you safe. However still being in training You should do as you are instructed of course. Just ask your FTO when you get out of the academy what is the mostly widely used by your agency and read for any input on your rules and regs.

Stay Safe.

Comment

Do what your training staff tells you to do in the academy. When you are in FTO, your TO will tell you to do things a certain way that may or may not be the same as the academy. You, again, do as you are instructed.

As for me, I won't discuss specific tactics (including handcuffing techniques) on a public forum.
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by Smurfette
                  Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                  Originally posted by DAL
                  You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

I recently graduated the academy. I just did everything the way they wanted me to do it. I will do it differently according to department policies and training when the time comes. Do as the Romans do.

Comment

To the cops out there: do you think the PPCT method would work in a felony stop situation when you have the opportunity to maintain a safe distance and give verbal commands? I've never seen it used or even heard of it being used verbatim. (Trying not to give out tactical details on a public forum)

I was taught the PPCT method over 9 years ago and NEVER once used it in those 5 years...I'm actually surprised it's still taught and they haven't developed something better yet...
                      Originally posted by RSGSRT
                      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

not for me....because theyre standing
                        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                          To the cops out there: do you think the PPCT method would work in a felony stop situation when you have the opportunity to maintain a safe distance and give verbal commands? I've never seen it used or even heard of it being used verbatim. (Trying not to give out tactical details on a public forum)

I was taught the PPCT method over 9 years ago and NEVER once used it in those 5 years...I'm actually surprised it's still taught and they haven't developed something better yet...
                          It's like everything else we do, there are a bizillion ways to do it, you just have to finde the one that works for you and is safe.
                          To the OP, for now do it like they want it, pass the test then move on, do it like your FTO wants, pass it and move on. Then when you are on your own do it how it best works for you in the situation you are presented with, just be safe and not complaicent.
                          It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

The only time PPCT works to put people in cuffs is when they are completely complaint.
                            Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                            I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                            Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                            as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

My academy trained handcuffing with hinged cuffs, yet the two agencies I've worked for since then (1995) issued chained handcuffs. Like you, I do what the FTO and trainers say, but once solo I carry both hinged and chain on my belt. Most of the time I reach for the hinged. From there it's either "hands behind your back palms out" or "hands out to the side thumbs down". My current agency has no problem with the hinged. I heard only one administrators mention that by twisting the hinged cuffs you would cause pain to the prisoner, every one else of rank considers this a reasonable method of 'pain compliance'.

Good luck, be safe.
                              Tac Six One

"For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~Romans 13

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3243 users online. 182 members and 3061 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X