300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just entered hiring process

I applied to a police department on Monday and received a call yesterday from the detective doing my background. I am scheduled for the home interview on Wednesday and the CVSA (I think that's the right abbreviation). I have a few questions now.

I did not take a civil service exam. I am not sure if there isn't one or if it is due to the fact that I am applying for a part-time/auxillary position. That is what the department called the position. Is that normal for smaller departments? Or even for part-time/auxillary postions?

For the home interview, should I dress in a suit? Or should I dress in a shirt and tie type thing?

From submitting my application, I have learned that one of the references phone numbers that I put down, she no longer has. Should I call the detective and give him her cell phone number (I have her permission for that), or should I wait until the home interview?

I'm anxious about the CVSA. I have heard some stories where some people took anxiety relievers or an allergy reliever(due to allergies), and it messed up the test and they had to retest. Does this have any validity to it? Would I be better off to just go in anxious, not take anything?

Well that's all of my questions. Thank you in advance for your replies. Oh and the good news, at least I think so, is that he is the only background investigator for the department and he told me there is only one other applicant. I'm excited for the process and happy because this is only the second agency I have applied to. First one sent a letter saying they currently do not have any open positions for applicants under 21 years of age, which I completely understand. Thanks again for your time and I look forward to your replies.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Sometimes people win the Darwin Award.

Originally posted by Simply Shane View Post
    I'm anxious about the CVSA. I have heard some stories where some people took anxiety relievers or an allergy reliever(due to allergies), and it messed up the test and they had to retest. Does this have any validity to it? Would I be better off to just go in anxious, not take anything?
    What meds do you take?
    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

I don't take any prescription medications actually. Just some kids allergy medicine, the chewable stuff, I can't swallow pills, at the beginning of spring for pollen.

Edit: Wow, I just reread what I wrote up there and it came out completely wrong, which is now why I see why you asked that question. I just meant would it be worth it to take an anxiety reliever or just forget it and move on?

Thanks for your response.
      Last edited by Simply Shane; 05-06-2011, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I don't take any prescription medications actually. Just some kids allergy medicine, the chewable stuff, I can't swallow pills, at the beginning of spring for pollen.

Edit: Wow, I just reread what I wrote up there and it came out completely wrong, which is now why I see why you asked that question. I just meant would it be worth it to take an anxiety reliever or just forget it and move on?

what med? Is it a prescription med you take or have?

Comment

For a part time/auxillary position , a Civil Service written exam may not be required. For the home interview, I'd suggest you dress neatly/casually. To me, that would be a shirt, neatly tucked into pressed/clean trousers. Have your quarters neat, clean, presentable. I don't believe I'd take any other than prescribed meds prior to the CVSA exam. If you do take a prescribed med, it would probably be in your best interest to inform the examiner. Take the test. Don't try to beat it.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            For a part time/auxillary position , a Civil Service written exam may not be required. For the home interview, I'd suggest you dress neatly/casually. To me, that would be a shirt, neatly tucked into pressed/clean trousers. Have your quarters neat, clean, presentable. I don't believe I'd take any other than prescribed meds prior to the CVSA exam. If you do take a prescribed med, it would probably be in your best interest to inform the examiner. Take the test. Don't try to beat it.

Agreed

Also ------------if you have taken any OTC meds within the last week------------------let the examiner know before the test starts. They will appreciate the heads up.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thank you for the replies. The allergy med is Triaminic Allergy. Other than that I don't take anything. I haven't taken anything recently(last was back in march) so I should be good.
              Again thanks for your time.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. The allergy med is Triaminic Allergy. Other than that I don't take anything. I haven't taken anything recently(last was back in march) so I should be good.
                Again thanks for your time.
                What anxiety relievers were you talking about?

Comment

I don't have any. I was just curious if taking one would screw up the test, just based on what I heard.

Comment

I don't have any. I was just curious if taking one would screw up the test, just based on what I heard.
                    If it doesn't apply to you ------------------don't worry about it.

You will have enough worries dealing with all the other crap involved with the hiring process.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

As someone who went through the same process, I hope I can offer some insight. In NY, Civil Service exams only need to be given for competitive Civil Service positions. Auxiliary Police Officers are Civil Service positions (once again, in NY at least), but it's not a competitive process or position. I imagine it's the same for Ohio the way you described it and it's nothing to worry about.

Remember, dress for success too. This means being in a suit and tie every time you meet with someone from the Department until you're hired. If you have any more questions, PM me.

Comment

Let me get this straight; you don't have allergies but were considering taking an allergy med for the CVSA?

Uhm, that's called trying to cheat the test, and if that's the deal you don't need to be anywhere near LE.

-V

Comment

Originally posted by vincelli View Post
                          Let me get this straight; you don't have allergies but were considering taking an allergy med for the CVSA?

Uhm, that's called trying to cheat the test, and if that's the deal you don't need to be anywhere near LE.

-V

No, I have an allergy to pollen. I was saying I don't have any in reference to anxiety relievers.

Thanks for the response Iowa----I won't worry about it then. Thanks for the response.

LINY, thank you for your input, I would imagine that it is the same as New York.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Comment

No, I have an allergy to pollen. I was saying I don't have any in reference to anxiety relievers.

Thanks for the response Iowa----I won't worry about it then. Thanks for the response.

LINY, thank you for your input, I would imagine that it is the same as New York.

Thank you everyone for your replies.
                            B.S. You said it in my above quoted statement of yours. Which leads me to believe you have taken them before and don't have a prescription which makes however you acquired them a felony, not to mention a severe lack of good judgement for what I just said and for trying to cheat the test. This makes me believe you are deceptive which is an integrity issue and is why I am being so blunt!

Comment

I'm slightly confused by this thread as well.

Many references to using meds (even over the counter) to try to cheat a CVSA/Poly.

I will say that it's so confusing that it's possible the OP is being misinterpreted (just trying to be fair); i.e. he has issues with pollen and uses over the counter meds on occasion. Nothing wrong with that.

If this is beyond that, then yeah, this is some cheating BS, and we don't really need to worry about it since the CVSA/Poly will SHOW deception.

Really nothing more to add to this thread. It's one of two things, and the BI will soon know which.

-V

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5668 users online. 316 members and 5352 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X