Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Writing a Police Procedural novel (Crime Fiction)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing a Police Procedural novel (Crime Fiction)

I am currently working on my second book in a series that is set in NYC. My main character is a female NYPD Detective working out of the 33rd Precinct in Washington Heights. I have all the background info on the precinct and the department policies, what I need is someone familiar with serial killers, FBI profilers and the DEA. Okay, what do all these things have in common you may ask. In my first novel, my main character found herself tangled up with a drug cartel and her life threatened. I don't want to give away too much, but suffice to say she thought the threat was over. In this book I introduce a serial killer who only kills nuns. However, this is not the only plot in the book, as the head of the cartel comes after my main character again.

I did have a contact who is a former NYPD Officer and is now with the DEA, however we lost contact some time back. Some of you may know him, and if you are still on this board Instructor Joe, maybe we can reconnect.

If you are interested you can PM me or e-mail me here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you would like to see a sample of my work, you can go to the following link:

http://www.chastrenton.blogspot.com

(Chas Trenton is one of my "Pen Names", or as you guys would say, my alias.)

PM me for a quote on my consultation fee schedule.

Comment

PhilipCal,

Thanks for the offer, however my first book is still out on query to agents, so no publisher yet and no $$ for consultants.
      Anyone know an agent looking to pick up a new client and a new Police Procedural?

Ken

Comment

You are new here so I will let you in on a secret.

For the most part , many of us have an unwritten policy of not helping students in their school work and writers in their research. There are countless law enforcement consultants out there that will be more than willing to help you----for a fee.

Students who come on here asking for help with their homework or thesis papers are considered just plain too lazy to go out and to actual research with "real life officers".

Writers have a pecuniary interest in their finished product. Therefore they should be willing to remunerate those who assist them with their research. Failure to do so is really quite disingenuous since you hope to profit from someone's knowledge.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

A Nun serial killer and a drug cartel, Huh................

Good luck with the book
          "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            You are new here so I will let you in on a secret.

For the most part , many of us have an unwritten policy of not helping students in their school work and writers in their research. There are countless law enforcement consultants out there that will be more than willing to help you----for a fee.

Students who come on here asking for help with their homework or thesis papers are considered just plain too lazy to go out and to actual research with "real life officers".

Writers have a pecuniary interest in their finished product. Therefore they should be willing to remunerate those who assist them with their research. Failure to do so is really quite disingenuous since you hope to profit from someone's knowledge.
            Iowa #1603,

Thank you for the reponse. You are absolutely correct. If I were a published author and didn't have to work a day job to pay my bills, I would be more than happy to remunerate someone for their assistance. At this point, as I stated, I am still seeking representation on the first novel and have not been picked up by any agent, much less a publisher at this time. What I can offer to any one willing to at least direct me to a good source, as I want to get the facts straight, is a mention in the dedication.

Example:

I would like to thank Officer Smith of the NYPD for their invaluable information which made this book possible.

Now of course, if during the course of working on this second book in the series I happen to be signed by an agent and the book is published, I would be more than willing to remunerate someone for their invaluable assistance.
            Last edited by KJHoss; 05-05-2011, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
              A Nun serial killer and a drug cartel, Huh................

Good luck with the book
              Thank you.. And it's a serial killer who only targets Nuns. (There is a real twist in what he does to the bodies.)

Comment

Originally posted by KJHoss View Post
                Thank you.. And it's a serial killer who only targets Nuns. (There is a real twist in what he does to the bodies.)
                Wow! Someone isn't upset over the time he spent in Catholic school is he?

Comment

Sorry, your book will be anti-climatic! Any able-bodied male that ever went to Catholic school is a suspect!

Comment

This is your second book? You're unpublished? What happened to the first book? Don't believe you're the horse I'd want to put my money on just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                      This is your second book? You're unpublished? What happened to the first book? Don't believe you're the horse I'd want to put my money on just yet.
                      It doesn't work like that. The first book took just over a year to write and I just recently sent out queries to agents, which can be a long process in itself. This is a planned series and as such it is prudent to get a start on the next in the series which gives the writer/author a slight edge with some publishers.

As for putting your money on me, maybe not at this point in time, but keep checking the bookstores and on-line.

Comment

Originally posted by KJHoss View Post
                        What I can offer to any one willing to at least direct me to a good source, as I want to get the facts straight, is a mention in the dedication.

Example:

I would like to thank Officer Smith of the NYPD for their invaluable information which made this book possible.
                        I'd rather be thanked with a check.
                        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Is Kelli Storm hot??
                          For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
                            Is Kelli Storm hot??

Is dynamite explosive? Is the Pope Catholic? (You'll have to read the book to find out. )

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                              I'd rather be thanked with a check.

The check is in the mail.

Seriously though, I can understand why some LE personnel are hesitant to help writers, at least pro bono. Why should you give away your hard earned knowledge? Fortunately there are some, like Instructor Joe, (a big help to me on the first book), who are willing to share their expertise to ensure that we "writers" get the facts straight. (Or as Sgt. Friday would say, "Just the facts, ma'am.) And yes, even though we have lost contact, as soon as I get an offer on the book, his name will be on the first line of the dedication.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6046 users online. 297 members and 5749 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X