300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting picked for Oral Board Interview

After you pass the written and physical, you advance to oral board interview. According to what I have been hearing, not everyone advances to oral board regardless if they passed the written and physical or not. Recruiters hand pick certain individuals and send them rejection letters to rest.

What I am curious is, what makes the recruiters to pick a certain individual? What are the things they look at? I have seen people who scored less than another individual, and got picked for oral board, while the higher scoring applicant got the rejection letter.

Anyone have legit information on this?

Thank you in advance.
    "Get a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life"

What you've described defeats the purpose of testing, which is to identify the most qualified applicants through job related examinations. Traditionally, those who score highest get picked first, next highest score get picked next, etc. Usually, anyone who gets a passing score on the written and any other previously qualifying test automatiocally goes on to the oral.

Perhaps you have been applying at "at will" departments where people serve solely at the pleasure of the appointing authority. In such cases anything goes. You might be selected because they like your haircut, or you go to the same church as someone in the department, or you are the mayor's brother in law. Jobs in such agencies tend to be very political and personnel tend to change from administration to administration as folks get voted in and out of office.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

^^Probably the best answer you will get concerning what you have asked.

Comment

They check grammar/spelling. Better luck next time.

Comment

Originally posted by musclefan21 View Post
          After you pass the written and physical, you advance to oral board interview. According to what I have been hearing, not everyone advances to oral board regardless if they passed the written and physical or not. Recruiters hand pick certain individuals and send them rejection letters to rest.

What I am curious is, what makes the recruiters to pick a certain individual? What are the things they look at? I have seen people who scored less than another individual, and got picked for oral board, while the higher scoring applicant got the rejection letter.

Anyone have legit information on this?

Thank you in advance.
          Never heard of such a thing. Like L-1 said, non civil service depts can pick who they want. Did you see the test score and rejection letters? Everything may not be as you have been told. Also, something that would DQ a candidate may have turned up during the hiring process, which would result in a rejection letter regardless of score.

Comment

Many agencies will automatically run criminal and driving histories of candidates who have successfully passed the written examination prior to sending out data for oral interviews. I have sent letters to candidates who scored very high on the written, but their driving history or criminal history have flags that would automatically disqualify them. It is time consuming and can be avoided by candidates simply reading the minimum qualifications and honestly preparing their application for testing. No agency will tell you why another person has been disqualified, nor will they disclose the written, oral, physical agility, psychological testing, polygraph scores of another.
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Thank you guys, you have answered my question. I was just curious.
              "Get a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3785 users online. 202 members and 3583 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X