300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic violation history

I was just reading that minimum 3-5 years of NO violation is pretty much required by most agencies. This scared me, and brought hopes down significantly as I do not meet that requirement.

I had my first speeding ticket in July 06, it was 65 in 45, and i took driving safety class for it. Then I received another speeding ticket out of state, 80 in a 70 zone. I paid the fine. Then years went by, on September 2010 and driving on the interstate (construction zone) at 4am in the morning, no cars around, no workers, and i got a ticket 64 in a 45. I paid the fine at court, and that's it.

So, should I call it quits on being a police officer, basically, give up my dream, and continue on doing something which I hate (hotel manager)?

Thank you.
    Last edited by musclefan21; 10-08-2011, 05:33 PM.
    "Get a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life"

Originally posted by musclefan21 View Post
    I was just reading that minimum 3-5 years of NO violation is pretty much required by most agencies. This scared me, and brought hopes down significantly as I do not meet that requirement.

I had my first speeding ticket in July 06, it was 65 in 45, and i took driving safety class for it. Then I received another speeding ticket out of state, 80 in a 70 zone. I paid the fine. Then years went by, on September 2010 and driving on the interstate (construction zone) at 4am in the morning, no cars around, no workers, and i got a ticket 64 in a 45. I paid the fine at court, and that's it.

So, should I call it quits on being a police officer, basically, give up my dream, and continue on doing something i hate (hotel manager). ?

Thank you.
    The stuff I highlited............it doesn't matter. Those are not valid excuses. The speed limit is the speed limit no matter time of day or anything else you used to justify speeding. Don't call it quits, just give it time without getting any new citations. Do what I do...drive the speed limit (I may go 5 over at times). My wife hates my driving and calls me "grandpa" when I do drive.

Comment

Thank you. I know, no excuse, i was over the limit, and got clocked. Honestly, I wasn't even paying attention since it was so quiet out. Normally, I drive the speed limit, and am a pretty laid back driver.

I just tested with a department and passed the written already, and have 4 more departments scheduled to test (paid the fees too), and read those heart breaking posts just about an hour ago. So, let's say some miracle happens, and I advance to background investigation process with one of the departments I am currently testing, since there hasn't been much time passed, would I get dropped due to my recent speeding ticket?

Boy becoming a cop is tough... I don't blame them for it being tough...

Comment

I don't know if they will drop you or not. If it is listed in their hiring requirements as a DQ, then they may DQ you. If that happens, don't get discouraged. Spend time getting a degree (if you haven't yet) or do some respectable security work while you put some time in between your cite and re-applying. Good luck to you! It's tough to get hired now, especially with the economy the way it is.
        Last edited by Ohio5-0; 05-04-2011, 11:55 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Comment

Your problem is a lead foot. All of your citations are movers, all for unlawful speed. Your 2010 citation is too recent. Your excuses are precisely that...excuses, and they won't fly. At the very minimum you're going to need three, more like five years of violation free driving to emerge as a viable candidate

Comment

I don't think its a huge deal.
            For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

No agencies around here require *no* violations in 3-5 years. Most departments like to see as little history as possible and if there is history, they like some time seperation between violations.

3 speeding tickets in 5 years isn't a killer IMO. But it is a black mark.

Comment

ask your background investigator...I doubt it will be a huge deal unless posted in their qualifications
                "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Your driving history is not an automatic rejection; but, if I were you BI, you and I would be having an indepth discussion about what you have obviously failed to learn - as a new driver, at a class for driver safety that you took after your first violation and your failure to recognize your problems after the third violation. Continuing through the process would depend on your explanation, responsiveness, honesty and a few other factors. My suggestion to you is that you take your foot off of the accelerator.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                    No agencies around here require *no* violations in 3-5 years. Most departments like to see as little history as possible and if there is history, they like some time seperation between violations.

Agreed...

I had 6+ moving violations over 9 years of driving when I got hired. Luckily at the background time I had only 1 moving violation within the last two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post

And it is probably enough of a black mark to temporarily derail your application. Not fatal but you need to start following traffic RULES. Administrators want people who follow directions/rules.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                        Your driving history is not an automatic rejection; but, if I were you BI, you and I would be having an indepth discussion about what you have obviously failed to learn - as a new driver, at a class for driver safety that you took after your first violation and your failure to recognize your problems after the third violation. Continuing through the process would depend on your explanation, responsiveness, honesty and a few other factors. My suggestion to you is that you take your foot off of the accelerator.
                        Thank you sir and thank you everyone else.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4467 users online. 279 members and 4188 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X