300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones

Someone told me that it is illegal to have any type of devise in your ear while driving, such as headphones.

Is this true, or just a figment of their imagination. What is your state's rule on this?

Mike

RPD that is a pretty broad statement. That would mean that folks with hearing aids would have to remove them while driving. I just don't hardly think so.

At one time, it was against the law in California to drive with a headset on, unless you were operating an emergency vehicle. I just attempted to find the section in CVC and was unable to locate it. Perhaps Pelican Driver, or one of our other CHPS can help us out here.

------------------
    All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
    6P1 (retired)

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 04-24-2001).]

Comment

In Louisiana it is against the law to wear headphones while operating a vehicle.

------------------
      Without the support of our fellow officers, sometimes we have no support at all.

Comment

In FL, you must have one ear uncovered. That allows you to use the hands free cell phone mics.

------------------
        Niteshift-
        Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Originally posted by cajuncop:
          In Louisiana it is against the law to wear headphones while operating a vehicle.

Even the Cell phone headset?

Comment

Don,

The section in question is CVC 27400, which prohibits motor vehicle or bicycle operation with both ears covered or plugged. The exceptions are:

1. Emergency vehicle operators
            2. Operators of construction equipment
            3. Garbage collectors
            4. Hearing aid wearers
            5. Wearers of custom-made noise attenuators that DON'T block the noise of horns or sirens.

Comment

I thank you Sig! I was searching using the wrong words. I was looking for "headphones" instead of "headsets." DUH

------------------
              All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
              6P1 (retired)

Comment

In Virginia, you may not wear headphones while driving except for certain exceptions, such as noise reducing headphones for the firefighters. So - the short answer is no, you may not listen to your Discman, etc. while driving. In terms of hands-free phones,though so long as both ears aren't covered the charge may not stick; I'd have to look close at the code book. But don't do it, it's still too distracting!

Comment

Don't quote me, but I believe in Texas, there is no law against it, although it is generally not a good idea to wear headphones while driving. The ham radio in my car is all hands free but I still sometimes get distracted by listening to the conversation, so I don't even have that on all of the time.

Kyle, KD5HQD

Comment

Thanks guys.

That pretty much answers my question.

Mike

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6755 users online. 329 members and 6426 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X