300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philosophy

After seeing the tornadoes hit the south this past week, I was wondering about the philosophy of a police department that has been affected. A department is running smoothly, no major problems occurring in that town/city, and has the direction of community based policing. When a major disaster such as what happened this past week occurs, how does that change the philosophy of the affected department? I would think it does, but just wondering how so.

By change, do you mean the PD now focuses on disaster preparedness over say criminal investigation? Or do you mean the officers are suffering PTSD at seeing the devistation that has occurred?
    semper destravit

Comment

Not a leo but work a police dept affected by the tornado, we have officers working overtime watching for looters and other kinds of crimes. we also have in affect a curfew 9p-5a. our admin is staying out most of the night to help back up our other officers. also there are very few places that have power in my county so we have backup to EVERY call even if it's not a "hot" call. not sure if i answered your Q or not.

Comment

It shouldn't be a problem to switch priorities. Community policing does not have to mean touchy-feely. And most officers go from service-oriented to order maintenance to enforcement multiple times during every shift.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I was basically wondering how a police department would change it's ways when it was affected by a natural disaster. Just something that was came across my mind the other day. My question was answered. Thanks.

Comment

There's not a different mindset, but different objectives and goals. The normal everyday routine of answering calls and proactive enforcement like traffic stops changes. You now have officers assisting with rescue efforts, conducting proactive enforcement involving things such as looting, and helping with accomodations of displaced families. Many agencies already know that they may have to face natural disasters like hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc. If an agency isn't used to working such an event on a large scale, there will be some mistakes/errors made, but we learn from them and adjust accordingly. The jurisdictional PDs in Tuscaloosa and surrounding communites have their hands full. I'm sure they will learn from these storms and if it happens again, they will have things in place they didn't have before. Many departments are facing these new challenges recently. A few examples are New Orleans PD, Metro Nashville PD (last years devastating flooding), Murfreesboro PD (south of Nashville) with devastating tornadoes, and now Tuscaloosa PD, Birmingham PD, and other jurisdictional agencies in several southeastern states.
            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by rstaylo View Post
              After seeing the tornadoes hit the south this past week, I was wondering about the philosophy of a police department that has been affected. A department is running smoothly, no major problems occurring in that town/city, and has the direction of community based policing. When a major disaster such as what happened this past week occurs, how does that change the philosophy of the affected department? I would think it does, but just wondering how so.
              So... when is your essay due?
              Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by Street_Cop50 View Post
                So... when is your essay due?

It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

The basic philosophy of an agency does not change due to a natural disaster. If the department is a "community policing" type agency, it will continue to be one after the disaster has been dealt with. The agency will deal with the situation with the resources at it's command, and will adapt to the circumstances of the emergency. The manner in which this is being done has been well and amply covered. Once the emergency is dealt with, and things return to normal, the basic philosophy of the department will remain. This is especially true of a good working philosophy, which can actually be enhanced by the disaster.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4307 users online. 265 members and 4042 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X